• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Devils Rejects Hype Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

Yeah, house of 1000 corpses definately was something..heh. I actually kind of liked it(not for being an awesome horror movie mind you), but because of the random camp weirdness and whole 80's cheese horror. I used to watch stuff like that ALL the time when I was younger. Real bad, low budget, gore flicks.. hehe. Stuff like "Motel Hell" etc..

However

I also REALLY like a real down and dirty, fucked up, graphic movie like Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Which, funny you mentioned it, was/is compared fucked up snuff movie. Suspense is just one ingredient that makes some horror movies great. It also made many others suck. The one thing a horror movie needs to do is make you feel horrified. That however, can happen in many ways. Not just through "suspense", Sometimes cheap resident evil scare tactics will do the trick. Sometimes it's the weird and screwed up imagary that gets people all uncomfortable and scared. Sometimes it's simply the screwed up acts done to people that pushes a movie over the top. You can say that doesn't make a horror movie, but depending on the movie I disagree. Look at all the slasher movies that all have creative murder scenes in them! people eat that shit up!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Leatherface said:
Yeah, house of 1000 corpses definately was something..heh. I actually kind of liked it(not for being an awesome horror movie mind you), but because of the random camp weirdness and whole 80's cheese horror. I used to watch stuff like that ALL the time when I was younger. Real bad, low budget, gore flicks.. hehe. Stuff like "Motel Hell" etc..

However

I also REALLY like a real down and dirty, fucked up, graphic movie like Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Which, funny you mentioned it, was/is compared fucked up snuff movie. Suspense is just one ingredient that makes some horror movies great. It also made many others suck. The one thing a horror movie needs to do is make you feel horrified. That however, can happen in many ways. Not just through "suspense", Sometimes cheap resident evil scare tactics will do the trick. Sometimes it's the weird and screwed up imagary that gets people all uncomfortable and scared. Sometimes it's simply the screwed up acts done to people that pushes a movie over the top. You can say that doesn't make a horror movie, but depending on the movie I disagree. Look at all the slasher movies that all have creative murder scenes in them! people eat that shit up!

I could not agree more there are a million suspense non-gore horror movies made in the last 15 years. That is why I loved house of 1000 corpses it was a good old fasion blood bath. When I was younger a friend and I used to go every weekend in the summer and rent low budget blood bath films and we had a great time.

If zombie can give me some blood,guts and some funny one liners from captain spaulding I will be happy with the movie.

80% at Rotten Tomatoes.com right now. After reading some of the reviews, it seems like most opinions are split into two camps: 1) It's fantastic and resembles Natural Born Killers, Bonnie & Clyde, etc. OR 2) Its an example of Rob's obsession with 70s cult classics and is only so-so.

And then there's one reviewer that complained about it being less inventive than "House" and how Rob sucked all the interesting things out of it.

Personally, I have the feeling I'm going to really like it. I've read enough on it now to have a pretty good idea of what's in front of us and I think its going to deliver. I saw Rob on Conan O'Brien the other night too and that helped psyche me up. They showed a clip from the movie where Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig) acquires a vehicle. That short 40 second clip really made me want to see the movie and the positive reviews are helping.

I'm excited. Only 5 days to go and it's finally here. :)

Leatherface

Uno Ill Nino said:
80% at Rotten Tomatoes.com right now. After reading some of the reviews, it seems like most opinions are split into two camps: 1) It's fantastic and resembles Natural Born Killers, Bonnie & Clyde, etc. OR 2) Its an example of Rob's obsession with 70s cult classics and is only so-so.

And then there's one reviewer that complained about it being less inventive than "House" and how Rob sucked all the interesting things out of it.

Personally, I have the feeling I'm going to really like it. I've read enough on it now to have a pretty good idea of what's in front of us and I think its going to deliver. I saw Rob on Conan O'Brien the other night too and that helped psyche me up. They showed a clip from the movie where Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig) acquires a vehicle. That short 40 second clip really made me want to see the movie and the positive reviews are helping.

I'm excited. Only 5 days to go and it's finally here. :)

Yeah, Rob Zombie's appearance really souped me up for this flick too. Also, The clip shown definately shows a leap in quality from the first movie IMO. I know I'll be there the 22nd. :D

I don't know...If I'm bored when this comes out I might go see it. I'm not a big Rob Zombie or horror fan, but I can stand them both.

Roger Ebert likes Devil's Rejects! Also, Startribune.com gave it the most glowing review I've read stating its the most relevant horror movie of the last 10 years and will likely still be talked about in another 10. Very cool.

Entertainment Weekly slammed it, as did USA Today, but neither of them matter to me. EW because they gave Family Guy a D- back in the day, and USA Today because they're not a source for accurate movie reviews, IMO.

Looks like its a winner. I'm excited. This shit opens tomorrow, motherfuckers! I'll be there with my friends to celebrate my birthday. Here's hoping it lives up to our expectations!

FIRST TEN MINUTES OF DEVILS REJECTS NOW AVAILABLE ON THE WEB SITE! The Devil's Rejects

You'll need a DRAG pass, but if you look on the 2nd or 3rd page of the message board, there's a guy who gives out his for anyone to use. I've used it, even though I have a valid US Passport that should have worked, but didn't. Oh well. Go check this shit out!

Leatherface

Uno Ill Nino said:
Roger Ebert likes Devil's Rejects! Also, Startribune.com gave it the most glowing review I've read stating its the most relevant horror movie of the last 10 years and will likely still be talked about in another 10. Very cool.

Entertainment Weekly slammed it, as did USA Today, but neither of them matter to me. EW because they gave Family Guy a D- back in the day, and USA Today because they're not a source for accurate movie reviews, IMO.

Looks like its a winner. I'm excited. This shit opens tomorrow, motherfuckers! I'll be there with my friends to celebrate my birthday. Here's hoping it lives up to our expectations!

This is exactly the review I was waiting for. NOW I'm definately excited! Screw all you haters!

p.s. - happy b-day Uno

I'm sorry but I'm reading this and I can't help but think Leatherface got recruited by the Rob Zombie Internet Street Team or whatever.

Jump on all critics, but not necessarily their criticism. Constantly mention that the movie isn't 1k. Make repeat references to TCM and how Devil's Rejects is similar. Appeal to "True Horror Fans". Drop as many scores, reviews, and accomplishments as possible.

I don't normally pay attention to hype threads, but are they usually the OP trying to convince everyone the movie isn't garbage?

Leatherface

lol. You must be a detective with all that intuition you posses! I must tell master Zombie his hype plan is FAILING!!! :lol

Anyway, thought this was pretty cool for anyone who wants to check it out. I stumbled upon a thread on the Rejects messegeboards and there is some fan fiction writer who posts little stories with the characters from Devils Rejects. It's a really good read. Kind of like a cool horror comic of sorts.. check it out if your bored:

Fan Fiction Thread

"Sandoz" is the poster. Just keep looking through the thread for all the parts...

Leatherface

HA! I FINALLY SEEN IT!! (LOL)

DEVIL'S REJECTS was not only fucking great, but it's one of my FAVORITE horror movies!! SCREW YOU HATERS!!!!! =P

Leatherface

yeah, only briefly tho. She was a motel maid that discovers some carnage.

*edit oh wait* that wasn't her. On IMDB it says she's in a scene that was deleted(nurse/dr. satans nurse)... Maybe she'll show in the dvd version.

Ecrofirt

Your thread is about hype for the movie. Mine is about reactions after seeing the movie.

Jeez, you don't know anything about zombie films, and you can't get the difference between this either!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Leatherface said:
HA! I FINALLY SEEN IT!! (LOL)

DEVIL'S REJECTS was not only fucking great, but it's one of my FAVORITE horror movies!! SCREW YOU HATERS!!!!! =P

it really wasnt a horror movie though. i thought it was alright. nothing too special.

Leatherface

Ecrofirt said:
Your thread is about hype for the movie. Mine is about reactions after seeing the movie.

Jeez, you don't know anything about zombie films, and you can't get the difference between this either!

your an ass. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom