• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dota 2 International '15 grand final will be shown live in select US theaters

http://press.fathomevents.com/press...p-coming-live-select-us-movie-theaters-worlds

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--One of the gaming industry’s most popular and respected video game tournaments known today, “The International Dota 2 Championship,” comes LIVE from the KeyArena in Seattle, WA to select U.S. movie theaters on Saturday, August 8 at 5 p.m. ET, 4 p.m. CT, 3 p.m. MT, 2 p.m. PT, presented by Fathom Events and Valve. Fans nationwide can watch the world’s top two teams compete to win the “Aegis of Champions” in the fifth annual Dota 2 Championships. Developed by Valve Corporation, Dota 2 is one of the most played video games in the world and The Championship will once again see teams compete for a record-breaking crowd-funded prize pool that is currently at over $15 million.

Tickets for “The International Dota 2 Championship” can be purchased online by visiting www.FathomEvents.com, or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in nearly 400 movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

Enjoyed by millions of people for over a decade, Dota is a game of strategy, planning, momentum and action. In Dota 2, two teams of five players face off in a vast battlefield. Before the battle begins, each player chooses a unique "Hero" character from a pool of over 100 potential fighters, each with their own abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Teams then wage war, attempting to gather enough power and momentum to storm the opposing team's base and destroy their "Ancient" structure. The first team to destroy the enemy's "Ancient" wins the match. Developed by Valve, Dota 2 is a free game that is played through Steam, Valve's online game delivery platform.

“With the KeyArena selling out again in just minutes, it is unmistakable that fan interest in ‘The International Dota 2 Championship’ is at an all-time high,” said Fathom Events CEO John Rubey. “We are pleased to present audiences nationwide with another opportunity to experience the thrilling combat action, all on the big screen.”

More information is available at http://www.dota2.com/international/.
- See more at: http://press.fathomevents.com/press...us-movie-theaters-worlds#sthash.h479W5iq.dpuf

http://fathomevents.com/event/the-international-dota-2-championships

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One of the big benefits of streaming is being able to enjoy a live event in the comfort of your own home. Why would anyone want to give that up for this? At least the pubstomps are a social event.

Einbroch

Banned
Home or the actual stadium. Paying to see it on a screen when you could do it at home (or hell, I'm sure a few bars will play it as well) seems strange.

Cels

whenever i see ads for these fathom events before movies, they're always for opera and stuff that i have no interest in.

pretty cool they're doing this.

Jarnet87

8152615B738B39A5E4DF692582940E55F5FDA7B2

attending a wedding out of town the weekend of the final, FML. Will be watching on my Ipad praying the hotel internet is decent.

bigkrev

Home or the actual stadium. Paying to see it on a screen when you could do it at home (or hell, I'm sure a few bars will play it as well) seems strange.

I mean, 99.9999999999999% of people who are going to watch this from home will not have a screen anywhere close to the size of a Movie Theater screen (Fathom Events tend to take one of the larger screens in multiplexes)

krpiper

holy crap, this is being shown in my hometown theater. I don't play DOTA 2 but the idea of a big event intrigues me. I play a little League and HOTS. If I go would I be able to understand the game?

I mean, 99.9999999999999% of people who are going to watch this from home will not have a screen anywhere close to the size of a Movie Theater screen (Fathom Events tend to take one of the larger screens in multiplexes)

a computer monitor is way enough, or a TV even
you don't need a theater screen to watch dota

holy crap, this is being shown in my hometown theater. I don't play DOTA 2 but the idea of a big event intrigues me. I play a little League and HOTS. If I go would I be able to understand the game?
if it's not the newcomer stream (which I doubt it'll be), hardly. although you have some dota-likes knowledge so I don't know. watch a few games on youtube before and you'll know

Hip Hop

a computer monitor is way enough, or a TV even
you don't need a theater screen to watch dota

True, but that could be said for any other movie out there coming out (or sporting events, people be renting out/buying those big HDTV's for the occasion).

Basically, you go for the experience (if you're a big fan of course).

trw

I'm guessing this is just the finals so if you tune in to the newbie stream in the week leading up to it and watch some group games you will probably be fine. It's a really complex game though.

Top Bottom