• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DS- will there be a real shortage?

suaveric

Maybe our resident retail workers can answer my question. Is the demand out-stripping your supply of DS systems? I ask because I have 4 DS systems on order from various websites, in hopes of being able to sell them for profit on eBay.

I've always kicked myself since I saw all those PS2s go for $1,000 back in the fall of 2000. I'm not expecting that from the DS, but if I could get $200+ for each system I'd consider it worth my time. Otherwise I'd have to return the damn things and that's a serious pain in the ass to do with most web orders.

Time is running short for me, should I cancel my orders? What do you think my chances are of getting $200+ for each DS?

cvxfreak

Well I don't agree with that you're trying to do, exploit a shortage for profit from other people who'd like a DS (unless you're trying to sell it to people outside North America...) but I suppose there will be a shortage. Certainly it'll be less available than the GBA was.

suaveric

I didn't preorder these things back in January or something, I did this in September. Everyone had plenty of time to order their DS before I did. And I would hope that anyone buying a DS from me above retail price could afford to do such a thing. I'm certainly not forcing people to do it.

puck1337

suaveric said:
I didn't preorder these things back in January or something, I did this in September. Everyone had plenty of time to order their DS before I did. And I would hope that anyone buying a DS from me above retail price could afford to do such a thing. I'm certainly not forcing people to do it.
All of the justification in the world isn't going to find you a sympathetic ear on these boards.

Mrbob

suaveric said:

You realize you just ordered 4 of the 5 Nintendo DS systems which will be sold this November/December. Have fun! playing multiplayer Hunters with all of them!

lexi

Banned
I can only think of the one Dissapointed father who won't be able to buy a DS for little Johnny's Birthday.

You sir, are the embodiment of capitalism.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No more of a shortage than what happened with the GBA SP I suppose. Might get hard to find in a few weeks, but this system doesn't seem to be in huge demand. That could all change when it's released, since the DS is going to be the only new system released this holiday season in the U.S.

I just want to know if it's coming out early next week or not. :)

suaveric

I'm leaning more towards the Cube/Xbox launches (vs PS2). There was a bit of high prices on eBay for the first few days, then everything came back to normal.

GamerXL

I remembe back in the days when Nintendo were running things, they always pulled that "shortage" scam.

"Better run out and get it quick! There's gonna be a shortage and we don't know when we'll be able to ship more! Y'know, can't make chips fast enough..."

It always worked too. Damn, they were viscious jerks in the 80's, and we loved them for it!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
suaveric said:
I'm leaning more towards the Cube/Xbox launches (vs PS2). There was a bit of high prices on eBay for the first few days, then everything came back to normal.

I don't think it's going to be like those launches, no. But I could see you still making a profit off of the DS systems you pre-ordered; there's plenty of suckers on eBay to rip off. :p

TEH DS:

[::[__]::]
[+[__]·:·]

Unison

Once, when I was like 11, I had UPS misdeliver a package to my house on Xmas Eve containing a Gameboy and a game. I kept it (and gave it to my nephew), and thereby ruined some poor kid's Xmas. I still feel awful about this.

demi

suaveric said:
Ok, I guess I'm an asshole then

leary.jpg

HE'S AN ASSHOLE~ ASSHOLE~

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I don't think there will be much of a shortage, if any. Nintendo is going to do everything they can to get as many units into people's hands as possible.

What your doing just makes you a scalper, get a job loser fuck. You're just out to hose people, despite what your justification may be, it still makes you a scalper.

Seriously, are you that hard up for money that you have to hose people on Ebay to get by?

madara

Its hardware launch. Depending how they fudge it any company can have abit of shortage craze, just way it works with this industry. So yes you'll likely see it to some degree at very least for awhile. If we went by total success of unit by its launch then DC would be one hottest sellers of all time.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
trippingmartian said:
There will definitely be a shortage of quality titles.
Thats the reason I'm not getting it. apart from Metroid Prime and Super Mario, I canm't see any games worthwhile to get that are being released in the next 3 months.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
What about the rumour that the DS is shipping early? I assume there's been a topic on that, right? I mean, I can't find one, but I've been offline for a while and may have just missed it and I don't see how it couldn't already have a topic at this place.

Top Bottom