• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Essentials: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

HAOHMARU

Lets go back to the days of 8 bit gaming. What are the best NES games in your opinion?

I'm thinking these off the top of my head, just because I used to own them back in the day. Not so much as they are the best games on the NES, more so for nostalgia:

Super Mario Bros./Duckhunt
Super Tecmo Bowl
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Bases Loaded II
Castlevania II

What are your essentials?

olimario

Banned
Just making sure these are listed somewhere.
manual.jpg

image05.gif
mendelpalace.jpg

I want to say Basewars, but I will admit Tecmo Bowl should be above it.

Two games I would always add to the essential list:

Dragon Warrior IV
Final Fantasy III

Let's limit this to ten:

1. Baseball Stars
2. Tecmo Super Bowl
3. Kings of The Beach
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Super Sprint
6. Paperboy
7. R.B.I. Baseball
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Mike Tyson't Punch-Out!

Greekboy

Banned
Have to sort of disagree with olimario here. Great call on Tecmo Super Bowl but I prefer RBI Baseball 2 and 3 to the first one. You had homerun distance counter not to mention playing with the Tengen team by using a code and the "trick" to belt 500+ foot homeruns in part 2 and 3.

olimario

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
Have to sort of disagree with olimario here. Great call on Tecmo Super Bowl but I prefer RBI Baseball 2 and 3 to the first one. You had homerun distance counter not to mention playing with the Tengen team by using a code and the "trick" to belt 500+ foot homeruns in part 2 and 3.

Features improved in sequels as they are supposed to, but controls changed, music got worse, graphical style changed, and the fun was sucked from the series.
The first RBI remains the most fun RBI title for myself, all of my friends, and my older brother.

Greekboy

Banned
Interesting because it was the opposite for me. Did you know the codes to play as the Tengen team? The trick to belt 500+ homeruns with the sluggers?

hobbitx

No actual order:

Tetris
Contra
All 3 Super Mario games
Battle of Olympus
Kung Fu\Spartan X 2 I loved that sequel
Both Zelda games
TMNT
Double Dragon
Wrestlemania
T&C Surf Designs
Castlevania series
Mega Man Series
Paper Boy
Kid Icarus
Rygar

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Mappy - i can't stop playing the fecking thing
Bio Miracle Upa
Bionic Commando
Snake Rattle n Roll
Solar Jetman
Challenger
Kid Ikarus

All Mario, Megaman, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior (actually, I hate 1 and 2 later, but they were good for their time)

Bionic Commando
Clash at Demonhead
Battle of Olympus
The Guardian Legend
Maniac Mansion (the PC version was better overall dut to Nintendo censorship, but the NES version had better music and was improved in many ways)

of course, I forgot Crystalis

Diomedeskun said:
Maniac Mansion (the PC version was better overall dut to Nintendo censorship, but the NES version had better music and was improved in many ways)

It's funny how some PC conversions turned out so well on the NES. My choice for best PC 'port' (and I use that in the weakest way possible):

FIC's Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

Damn I loved that game.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Besides the obvious Nintendo franchises:

Excitebike
Ice Hockey
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Dragon Warrior
Commando
Master Blaster

I would probably be horrified if I knew how much time I actually sunk into those 6 games.

Top Bottom