• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ferrari Portofino Is Your New Entry-Level Italian Dream GT

ferrari-portofino-2017-reveal-FRONT.jpg

2018-Ferrari-Portofino-Side.jpg

The Portofino uses a development of the California T's 3.9-liter V8, with power rising from 552 hp to 591. Those extra 40 horsepower come courtesy of new pistons and connecting rods, a new intake system design, a new one-piece-cast exhaust header, software tweaks and new variable turbo boost management. Interestingly, torque remains almost the same as in the outgoing model at 560 lb-ft. As before, the Portofino's engine is hooked up to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Ferrari also claims the Portofino's new chassis resulted in "a consequent reduction in weight despite an increase in torsional rigidity," though the automaker doesn't specify the new car's weight. The Portofio retains the California T's slight rear-weight bias, at 46:54 front to rear.

The 0-60 mph run takes just 3.5 seconds, while top speed climbs very close to 200 mph. The Portofino should handle well too, thanks to Ferrari's third-generation electronic rear differential integrated with F1-Trac, the traction control system that's there "to give even less expert drivers the confidence to really make the most of their car's potential."

Full article here

Just give me one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The concept of an "entry level Ferrari" seems like it runs contrary to the point of buying a Ferrari.

Madness

The concept of an "entry level Ferrari" seems like it runs contrary to the point of buying a Ferrari.

Not really. It is more to stop bleeding and losing sales to Porsche, Maserati, other lower end exotic or luxury cars.

200k for a Ferrari is no chump change, but it brings Ferrari much lower than the 300k-400K most models usually command. Keep in mind they develiped this to still have it seem entrt level, but increase the power and speed and performance.

I'd probably still buy a Huracan or something over this if I could afford it though.

jts

...hate me...
Huge improvement from California, that just looked a life sized Barbie car. It’s beautiful.

NEO0MJ

I imagine it's mostly for up and coming hot shots who still can't afford an upper level Ferrari but still want to be seen driving one. Like the MB C class in comparison to other MB cars.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really don't like the direction Ferrari styling is going. California looked so much more beautiful than this.

They're getting really angular and aggressive looking, with a lot of vents and less harmonious lines. I like the profile and rear of this, but the front looks too much like a rejected Lotus concept for me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its funny, I was just watching a video about the Lambo Jalpa. An entry level Lambo of the '80s also the car featured in Rocky IVs night ride montage. Entry level cars from these exotic producers is interesting.

UraMallas

Can't wait to get this garbage car for 10k credits in FH4 next year. Max out A class mods in the livery like bleh. Trash.

iamblades

Eh, the Alfa is a straight up sports car. The Portofino is a GT car, not that comparable.

Yes, I was mainly referring to the baby Ferrari thing.

Though TBH the 4C is more interesting to look at than any Ferrari since the Testarossa to me.

Maybe with the exception of the F12 Berlinetta and some of the supercar stuff.

Mainline road car Ferraris have been super conservative the last 3 decades or so.

Yes, I was mainly referring to the baby Ferrari thing.

Though TBH the 4C is more interesting to look at than any Ferrari since the Testarossa to me.

I have a love/hate relationship with the 4C. At time I think it looks pretty good and at others, the design seems a bit too busy for a car that small and might work better on a larger vehicle (a GT car perhaps?).

Im just glad that Alfa is back in the states though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Imagine being rich enough to be able to buy a ferrari, but only rich enough to get the entry level model. Kinda sad.

nitewulf

Replacing the California? It's hell of a lot prettier! Looks like a retractable hardtop too. Thankfully I'm good, my car is almost as fast.

My dream car will forever be the 355. Just need 100k and 10k per year for maintaining it.

*sigh*

You can actually find them quite a bit cheaper than that (around 60k or so). The good news about them is that the price really isn't going to go up much on them because they aren't really desirable to collectors due to the high production number of them. Nothing like the F50 or Enzo where you're looking at millions for either of them.

Well it's going to be at least $200K so that's not exactly entry level. Probably not the best way to describe any Ferrari but there has to be one Ferrari that's cheaper than the rest and this is it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
If you want similar performance + more space you can pick up a charger for less than $50K now.

Top Bottom