• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fight Lights Out - The Joy of Giving (Pain)

Hey you! Welcome to the GAF Fight Club!
screenshot_242580_thumb300.jpg

This game is the closest thing to a fighting simulator you are going to find. Jump in and learn the "sweet science" of boxing as well as get into better shape.
(All without losing teeth isn't that nice?)

=====CURRENT TOURNAMENT MATCHES
TBD

=====GAF MEMBER RANKINGS & BELT HOLDERS
TBD

=====RULES & REGULATIONS
1) The First Rule

The first rule of the club is that we're here to have fun and learn from each other.
** We train each other to be better (so we can go pound other strangers in ranked battles).

If you run into a glitcher online in a ranked battle just drop the game. Its not worth your time. Idiots like that exist in every game out there and this game (most likely) has its share.

2) Setup your PS3 Move Area

This game does track 1:1 speed if everything is setup well and calibrated correctly.
Head tracking is absolutely a must. You can also do it by pressing the X button to simulate head tracking... but it works so much better when you have real head tracking working its not funny.

I don't normally do this but for this game I setup a white sheet/curtain on the wall behind me and used two soft light fluorescent lamps on either side of me (like torches in a throne room).

A setup like this can work great with flawless tracking even at night.

You should also have a video/camera of some kind ready to upload replays to youtube.
This will be necessary so that we can comment on the matches and study them.

3) Raise your stats in the gym

You need at least reasonable stats to play this game. Raise a main character up routinely to get them to a high level for advanced gaming. For tournament fights of pure skill we might also create secondary characters and set all the character stats to some "defined" stat level. (TBD)

4) Learn boxing basics

*** You can absolutely play this game by flailing your arms around or you can use proper punching and technique. The developers of the game PURPOSEFULLY created this game to reward good technique. Its in the code of the game. There's no debate here if you want to be better you should learn good boxing technique.

Gaf member Freshmaker was kind enough to point us to a good boxing tutorial:
http://www.ringside.com/pdfs/boxing_manual.pdf

There's a real fun Manga/Anime known as Hajime no Ippo (aka Fighting Spirits DVD in usa) which actually covers a lot of boxing topics in the course of the story.
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hajime_no_ippo/

That's not to say this is just a boxing simulator. There are dirty moves and other things which can make the game a bit "interesting". The sweet science of boxing is just a little bit sweeter here.

5) Basic Training Advice
TBD

6) Advanced Training Advice - Fighting Styles
TBD

7) Stats Explanation

Strength:
How much damage you do.

Speed:
Increase lean and walk speed. High speed makes quick combos drain less stamina.

Stamina:
Affect how fast/slow stamina bar is reduced when punching.

Heart:
Controls health regeneration, if you got max heart and is not getting hit for a while the health (the red bar) will start to fill up to max 50%. (it takes pretty long time so it's not that easy to notice).

Chin:
Affect how easy you're to knock out (white bar in health).

Tech:
How fast you autorotate towards opponent + autoaim when using dualshock/sixaxis.

8) Members
TBD

9) Replays
Commented Fight #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0fjHKR09J4

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
PSN: Neo-Marg

My most relevant stats are in the 70's to 80's (str, chin, stamina) right now.

Seems like the average online ranker has most of their stats at around 104. If you really want to get anything out of ranked, I suggest you all level up to around that range.)

Shiv47

PSN: shiv2099

My stats are too low to post right now (everything in 20s, basically), but about lighting, does a light somewhere behind your head hurt head tracking? I play in my basement, and there is one light just in front of where I stand, and another maybe 10 feet back, but when standing in front of the camera, it appears to be directly behind my head. Not sure if this is why, but head tracking gets consistently turned off when I play, which is pretty annoying. Enjoying the hell out of the game so far, though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Shiv47 said:
PSN: shiv2099

My stats are too low to post right now (everything in 20s, basically), but about lighting, does a light somewhere behind your head hurt head tracking? I play in my basement, and there is one light just in front of where I stand, and another maybe 10 feet back, but when standing in front of the camera, it appears to be directly behind my head. Not sure if this is why, but head tracking gets consistently turned off when I play, which is pretty annoying. Enjoying the hell out of the game so far, though.
I've found that background lights tend to mess up calibration on the move in general, not just the head tracking.

Headtracking in general only works for me during the day when there's sunlight. With all my lights on, it's never bright enough at night for it to register consistently.

TuxBobble

Just picked this game up (GameFly). Had some trouble on day 1 but I'm hoping day 2 will prove more successful. Either way, it was a good workout. I have a feeling I'd stop exercising with it if it continues to be this frustrating though.

Time to figure out the calibration/room setup a bit better.

Top Bottom