• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forever Winter - Gameplay Reveal

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Stolen from YouTube :

" Theme 10/10
Art direction 10/10
Music 10/10
FPS 15/60 "
🤣

PS : I like what I'm seeing, it's just that, dunno, this looks like it's vaporware/a scam for some reason (like The day before)

Edit: watched Ribi's videos, let's hope this is not vaporware/a scam.
Everything looks mad interesting, hope there's a console version planned

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At release, there will be four thrilling maps and one work-in-progress map, providing endless opportunities for a post-apocalyptic fever dream. With a wide selection of guns to choose from, players can customize their arsenal, which will be necessary as every day alive is a gift.

Choose from five broken down characters, each with their own baggage and playstyles. Keep an eye out for Gunhead, who is currently in progress, adding even more thrill to the game.

Don't miss the chance to participate in a Q&A session with the developers, where you can learn more about the game and provide valuable feedback. Watch out for updates coming soon.

Get ready to immerse yourself in the grim world of The Forever Winter and stay tuned for more. We have such wonderful things....to show you.

September 24, 2024.
The only way to weather the storm is to sail directly into it.
Fun Dog out.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
it's a sadly much needed and refreshing message from a dev. I'll definitely look into the game and get early access if it's something I can dig into. hopefully they find success.

Sethbacca

So basically Helldivers if it were Terminator set in the Frostpunk universe? Looks cool but I don't tend toward multiplayer only games.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Early access announcement

Wow, based dev

$27
Zero paid to win solutions, you earn your gear via skill or luck
Never charge for a new character
No charges for maps, guns, new quests, boss
Similar roadmap to Ready or not.
Hosting, always able to play with friends, either locally or p2p.
No infinite loop matchmaking bugs, no flooded servers where you can't jump into what you just paid for

The visual style of this game looks amazing honestly.

Pop

Early access announcement

Wow, based dev

$27
Zero paid to win solutions, you earn your gear via skill or luck
Never charge for a new character
No charges for maps, guns, new quests, boss
Similar roadmap to Ready or not.
Hosting, always able to play with friends, either locally or p2p.
No infinite loop matchmaking bugs, no flooded servers where you can't jump into what you just paid for

The visual style of this game looks amazing honestly.

Ya I'll be there. Game is looking mint

calistan

Anyone playing the early access version yet? I was tempted because there's an introductory price drop, but then discouraged because of the 'water mechanic', which everyone is arguing about on the Steam forum and sounds like something I couldn't put up with in any game.

(In short, it seems like there's a core gameplay mechanic whereby you collect water to feed your base, and it is used up in realtime while you are not playing. If you don't come back and play soon enough, your water will run out and your base and all your inventory will be reset.)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Anyone playing the early access version yet? I was tempted because there's an introductory price drop, but then discouraged because of the 'water mechanic', which everyone is arguing about on the Steam forum and sounds like something I couldn't put up with in any game.

(In short, it seems like there's a core gameplay mechanic whereby you collect water to feed your base, and it is used up in realtime while you are not playing. If you don't come back and play soon enough, your water will run out and your base and all your inventory will be reset.)
Yeah if they fix this I’ll pick it up.

Even if it’s an EA title I’m not lighting my time on fire. I travel for work. No way I can keep up.

Mikado

This looks amazing. The art, audio and atmosphere is outstanding. Aesthetically it is absolutely my fetish. It's like an even grittier Nivanh Chanthara vibe and the in-game footage looks even better than the classic pre-rendered intro to Armored Core V

Apparently it is very very very early access from a technical and game design POV however.

Hopefully it pulls together. It will depend on who is running the show at that studio - if they are an art-first outfit and don't have a good technical foundation I have doubts it will be able to improve much beyond where it's at.

I'm still considering picking it up to try it out; I don't actually care about the water thing since I'm sure there will be many wipes between now and whatever full release they finally achieve.

Anyone else playing?

ultrazilla

Quick impressions:

Picked this up last night.

Developers were pushing updates while playing!

The atmosphere is incredible. Don't go into the game thinking this is a shooter like "Gears of War".

Instead, this more of surviving and scavenging(picking the bones) of other enemy factions once they obliterate
each other.

You are not a one man army that can mow down legions of enemies.

You are a beaten down "survivor" barely surviving by doing missions for factions in the war torn battlegrounds of a
a devastated world far into the future.

You can't go in guns blazing. Observe, act and get out of there fast.

I'm very impressed with the game so far and with the developers highly engaged in fixing bugs and interacting with the
community, I think $25 is a fair price.

Again though, that atmosphere is something else. Think Terminator Future War but even darker.

Last edited:

Mikado

I hear perf is a bit rough. I only have a 2070S but I don't really need anything more than 1080p/60Hz to be satisfied - I realize that most people are trying for 4k/144Hz these days so maybe I'll be ok.

Guess I'll find out this evening - worst comes to worst, Steam Refunds to the rescue.

Edit: Played a bit. I do have to set a lot of graphics settings to low (basically all of them except Draw Distance). But so far it stays locked at 60 and looks just fine - doesn't feel like PotatoVision at all.

One thing I noticed is that by default it tries to start up in Ultra, but if you immediately go to the graphics menu and select "Reset to Default" it will finally
properly run the system configuration test and choose something more reasonable for the local hardware specs.

Last edited:

Vindicator

A few quick runs each day (mostly scorched/ashen), haven't used anything besides the surplus weapons also rarely shooting stuff, mostly those cyborgs, runs okayish on my 2070/5800X3D (mostly high 1080p UW), IQ is a bit fuzzy in the distance but that may add to the grittiness...

For now almost 90 days of water, too much drama about this, have lots of weapons and credits farmed with Shaman, can't wait to try those out.
Feels like a mix of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Gears of War and Death Stranding with some Terminator, absolutely not regretting the EA Purchase.

Top Bottom