• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of Sci-Fi looking bleak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevelyon

After reading all the Riddick press & backlash over the last few days, it has got me a little worried. Doesn't it feel like the Sci-Fi genre is starting to crumble & close up. It seems like any real attempt at launching a new series or franchise have failed, either critically or at the box office.

The Matrix sequels did perform well & were major revenue takers for wanrer bros, but panned by critics fairly hard, the Star Wars prequels have been a mixed bag. I don't know... it just seems like everything in the past three years have been flat & escpecially this year, only a few movies interest me this year and they are mainly foreign releases (Immortel, GiT: Innocence, Godzilla: Final Wars & Casshern).

I'm hoping that Sky Captain will be good & a success, but it doesn't seem likely, maybe a little too ambitious for its own good. AVP should be a fun romp, but doesn't look like it wants to be taken seriously, just a popcorn pass off & I,Robot well.. I hate to doubt Alex Proyas, but the trailers (all 20 of them) have done nothing for me, as does Will Smith & well Thunderbirds, well that thing looks and sounds like a trainwreck.

A now look into the future, after Episode III what's left for the Sci-Fi movie? T4 with the Rock? Spyhunter with the Rock! AVP:2? Alien V with Ridley.... maybe? some crappy John Woo Metroid movie... is Hollywood slowly closing the doors on truly original sci-fi & allowing the explosion of unoriginal sequels and spin-offs and adaptations that aren't all that great to crowd the theaters of the world. I don't know about you, but I'm not all that optimistic about the future of the science fiction movie, not at all.

Fjord

Really? I'm always shocked when I go to a movie and see so many trailers for big budget fantasy and sci fi movies.

Belfast

The hardest thing about making a sci-fi movie, I think, is bringing it back down to earth. Fantastical locales and unique alien species are cool and all, but at the end of the day there still has to be a humanizing element there which the viewers can relate to. I feel that this is particularly hard to write into a sci-fi movie and is one of the reasons why the genre remains largely underground with a few exceptions. While there may be human characters, they're usually extremely one-dimensional (they tend to suffer from what I call "space marine" syndrome - you've got the boy scout type, the wisecracker type, the large black guy, and the tough chick).Still, it seems like people aren't even trying anymore. A sci-fi movie either has to have deep, human elements in them or be filled to the brim with pure badassery. A little bit of both doesn't hurt, either.

Im pretty sure the drama genre is getting preeeeety old but do you see it "drying up"? I think your alarmist viewpoint is premature.

AeroGod

CG killed the Sci-Fi genre. Rather then adding to the overall experience of the movie, in 99% of the cases a big budget CG extravaganza is first and foremost. Forget about a decent story or an intelligent script, 180 million dollar budget and wave of some CG teams magic wand is all the studios need(or want) anymore.

There are some exceptions and every once in a blue moon you'll get something really good, but most of the time.

Im not saying I dont enjoy these movies, because I do, im just saying is all.

*Ahem*

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=921
casshern_pic0014.jpg

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The Firefly movie, Serenity, just started filming I believe. While I never watched the show, I have heard good things about it. Hopefully, the movie performs well. Although I'm not sure how much appeal a movie based off a TV show that was cancelled after a few weeks will have.

Duchovny said that he, Gillian Anderson and Chris Carter were all onboard but it was up to Fox to determine if X-Files is still a marketable franchise.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
golem said:
the moment white doves fly infront of samus i'll declare the genre dead ;)
hey it could be cool, what if they are little baby alpha metroids (what was the baby metroid in super metroid, an alpha?) or some little alien firefly type insect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom