• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Lounge |OT| Sit Back Comfortably in Your Recliner with a Scotch... or a Cranberry Juice

Winchester

There is nothing better than a thread about "nothing". Just ask Seinfeld (the show about nothing for you young'uns). Really, if you were born after the 90's, you really need to watch Seinfeld.

SimplisticPiercingIrishdraughthorse-size_restricted.gif

We have threads about everything here. Every forum needs a depository of rando covo that just doesn't fit in with anything else. I did a cursory search and really didn't see anything as far as a general BS session thread. That's pretty much what this is :) Sitting down and shooting the breeze with people or just random thoughts or conversations.

Let me start it off.

I've been posting on GAF much more frequently the last two weeks because I'm sitting in a holding pattern waiting for my jackass junior-high new employer to lock me into a job and get me a start date. It's been over two weeks since I gave my notice to my last job.. Aaaaaand.... I have yet to have a solid start date. Lel. It's rough but I'm managing. Thanks to GAF ;)

And studying Check Point Firewall crap.

I just went to the Foo Fighters concert last night. It's my wife's favorite band. I'm a fan of the Foo Fighters too. .... From the 90's. That's when I grew up with them. Dave effing Grohl screams for every song now which is, honestly, annoying. I'm not even effing kidding here... I felt like I was bleeding from my damn ears last night. Even "Everlong" which originally has ZERO screaming in it. Dave, just sing the damn song like you did in the 90's please. Can you do that pal? And apparently in Minnesota, according to Dave, we're all "mother fuckers". In good fun of course. Grohl seems like a good guy but he also seems like the kind of dude that just discovered swearing for the first time as a child and needs to insert it into EVERY sentence.

Today, I'm trying something new with my smoker: Chili. Never have made chili on my Weber Smokey Mountain but I picked up a cheapo cast iron pot at Wally World and am smoking Green Arrow's chili. Here's the recipe if you aren't savvy:

latest

Of course, I altered it heavily. Chili is my deal. I have about a dozen recipes that I do. I take it as seriously as Kevin:

PolishedDeadCollie-size_restricted.gif

Never spilled it though. That would be a travesty. And really, if you spill CHILI, you aren't serious about jack.

Also picked up the Dark Souls Trilogy today. Never played it. All I've done as far as a From Software game is Bloodborne. Decided to jump into the DS tonight and see how I do. Already kicking some ass. Thank you BB for prepping me.

Oh, and just tried an awesome gluten FREE IPA tonight. Because I think I might have an issue with gluten. I might have an issue with food in general actually. But thank you Glutenburg for making an amazing rice craft beer!

So.... Anyone else?

haxan7

Banned
what's a "junior-high new employer"

and why are you getting so uptight about Dave Grohl screaming and cursing. let him do his thing man. It sounds like you didn't really want to go to the concert

Last edited:

Winchester

what's a "junior-high new employer"

and why are you getting so uptight about Dave Grohl screaming and cursing. let him do his thing man. It sounds like you didn't really want to go to the concert

Not uptight. I like the Foo Fighters. Grew up listening to them. But it just didn't sound like 90s FF's. And way too many MF's. With small kids in the crowd. I paid for the tix so yeah, I wanted to go.

"Jackass junior-high" is a reference to the employer not having their stuff together. It's also an episode title from Newsradio.

Eesh. I think within the first two posts, the idea is lost.

haxan7

Banned
Not uptight. I like the Foo Fighters. Grew up listening to them. But it just didn't sound like 90s FF's. And way too many MF's. With small kids in the crowd. I paid for the tix so yeah, I wanted to go.

"Jackass junior-high" is a reference to the employer not having their stuff together. It's also an episode title from Newsradio.

Eesh. I think within the first two posts, the idea is lost.

Yeesh. I think with your response the idea is lost. Most of what you've written, including your response to me, is a judgmental diatribe against other people. This is hardly a casual "about nothing" thread.

I suggest you examine why you're so judgemental and argumentative.

Also, you're worried about small kids in the crowd at a rock concert for adults hearing curse words? Really? Not just worried - but posting on the internet about why the band should have performed differently to suit you?

Winchester

Yeesh. I think with your response the idea is lost. Most of what you've written, including your response to me, is a judgmental diatribe against other people. This is hardly a casual "about nothing" thread.

Also, you're worried about small kids in the crowd at a rock concert for adults hearing curse words? Really? Not just worried - but posting on the internet about why the band should have performed differently to suit you?

Lol. My response to yours was hardly judgmental. You're waaaaay out there pally. Looking for an argument that doesn't exist apparently. I get that you like Dave but take it easy. I like his music too but he was pretty vulgar out there.

Again, the thread is for general BSing. The band was one section of what I wrote. I mentioned a few things. Which was ... Dun dun duuuuuuun.... just to get conversation started. Didn't need to be about what I wrote. Is there any particular reason you're focusing on the whole Foo Fighters deal? Honestly, did I offend you in some way? If I did, I apologize.

highrider

Banned

He just gave an opinion of the concert, I don’t see judgmental diatribe here. If anything it seems like he’s trying to avoid an argument over a casually shared opinion he probably doesn’t even feel that strongly about lol.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
My wife is so stubborn she just put on a load of washing before a thunderstorm. She expects the weather to change its mind

Winchester

I really hope you are Val Kilmer
I do too. Top Gun 2 Val Kilmer.

Also Cunth, I need to know what you're referring to about laundry. Explain it for me please. Also, I just did laundry today and folding it is the most terrible thing that exists in life.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I do too. Top Gun 2 Val Kilmer.

Also Cunth, I need to know what you're referring to about laundry. Explain it for me please. Also, I just did laundry today and folding it is the most terrible thing that exists in life.
I mean she has to put it out to dry but it was a storm outside

haxan7

Banned
today i pooped twice, two big solid poops. I had hot salsa on my chipotle last night so you can imagine how that felt.

yesterday i didn't poop at all.

the day before yesterday i took 3 poops but they weren't as solid as today's.

Winchester

today i pooped twice, two big solid poops. I had hot salsa on my chipotle last night so you can imagine how that felt.

yesterday i didn't poop at all.

the day before yesterday i took 3 poops but they weren't as solid as today's.
S'funny. Remember the aforementioned chili I spoke of? It destroyed my innards today. I'm right there with you guy.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I’ve never pooped more than one time in a day
Youre missing out.

Man, Theres nothing like a good dump.

My sons turning 11 months soon. Damn time flies. Its so fun though parenting him.

Gonna be freddy mercury for halloween

Last edited:
I just went to the Foo Fighters concert last night. It's my wife's favorite band. I'm a fan of the Foo Fighters too. .... From the 90's. That's when I grew up with them. Dave effing Grohl screams for every song now which is, honestly, annoying. I'm not even effing kidding here... I felt like I was bleeding from my damn ears last night. Even "Everlong" which originally has ZERO screaming in it.

Did he do a screamy version of Big Me?

Last edited:
Youre missing out.

My sons turning 11 months soon. Damn time flies. Its so fun though parenting him.

Segue like a Don. :)

Was thinking of a khabib nurma(guy that beat Conor) costume. Blonde afro wig, won't shave beard till after Halloween and a teddybear to occasionally wrestle with and let the ladies nurse after I make it submit.

Winchester

Youre missing out.

"Mustache Era" Freddie I presume?

Did he do a screamy version of Big Me?

That would've been pretty interesting but nah, they didn't play Big Me unfortunately. Forgot how hilarious the music video is to that song.

Winchester

I thought the same too lol. I’m doing Randy Watson for the halloween party on my block 🤣
Had to look up Randy bud. I'm just not in the know lol. Man. You large kids getting into Halloween Mode and I'm just sitting around like a boring A-dult. All I can think of is WORK. BILLS. GET OFF MY LAWN.

First year the wifeski and I are carving pumpkins. Haven't done that in forever. I totally want to do something artistic but I'll more than likely fall back on some template that came with the carving set.

Hey.... Who is getting jacked for Movember? Clearly ThatStupidLion ThatStupidLion is getting a BS early jump on everyone 😏

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Got 50 Vietnamese style chicken wings queued up for the grill.

Italian sausage and peppers at the trady

Dehydrator is chock full making apple chips.

Hosting a party tomorrow. Gonna use projector outside for football and horror movies.

Will be a fun and hectic day. And i have to do it all in costume. At least i’ll have a killer ‘stache goin :D

Havent thought about booze, any cocktail suggestions? I do love myself an old fashioned.

Last edited:

Winchester

Hosting a party tomorrow. Gonna use projector outside for football and horror movies.

Will be a fun and hectic day. And i have to do it all in costume. At least i’ll have a killer ‘stache goin :D

Havent thought about booze, any cocktail suggestions? I do love myself an old fashioned.
Vietnamese and Italian? You're all over the place guy. I've had an old fashion twice. They were decent. I really don't do cocktails or mixed drinks anymore. IF I had to, it'd be martinis or gin and soda/lime. Jameson was to much for me but I loved whiskey diets back in the day.

Mr Hyde

It has been snowing like crazy here during the night. Even if I´m from a cold ass country I will never get used to snow and coldness. It fucking sucks. I had to dig up my car for 10 minutes because of all the snow. Feels early too for this much snow, it usually doesn´t arrive until January or February. Gonna be a long winter this year.

Winchester

It has been snowing like crazy here during the night. Even if I´m from a cold ass country I will never get used to snow and coldness. It fucking sucks. I had to dig up my car for 10 minutes because of all the snow. Feels early too for this much snow, it usually doesn´t arrive until January or February. Gonna be a long winter this year.

Being a Minnesotan, I understand your pain and suffering. Winters are probably comparable to yours. And yes, too early to be seeing any white flakes floating ever-so-gently to the ground.

Winter and snow are the worst. Like, I could be fine with a ton of snow and cold the whole week leading up to Christmas. I need it for the ambiance. Anything outside of that time window is a big nope.

TFGB

IF I had to, it'd be martinis or gin and soda/lime.
Exactly what I’m drinking now, at 5:46 am...at Gatwick Airport in the hotel room lol.

Need hair of the dog before I can even contemplate heading through the busy terminal and security. I enjoy travelling but despise airports.😔

Mr Hyde

Like, I could be fine with a ton of snow and cold the whole week leading up to Christmas. I need it for the ambiance. Anything outside of that time window is a big nope.

This I agree on. It´s not Christmas without snow. It goes along with the holiday and makes it genuine. But other than that. No thanks, I´m good.

lil puff

I want to be invited

L0wMax

This place is reminding me of n-philes back in its heyday. Granted, there doesn't appear to be alot of nintendo fans here at this time, but there's not thousands of people filling all the threads with hot-takes, like it used to be. There's just a few posters contributing well-thought out posts, and you can still make out who's who. I like it.

I was apart of that forum for nearly 14 years from the time I was 13. It slowly declined in activity over the decade until it finally went offline sometime last year. I think I may have contributed the final post, because it would be months or weeks before someone else came back to visit out of curiosity, and responded, and I was posting right up to the end. I really felt at home at that forum and I'm sad to see all the community, posts and memories gone forever, aside from a few archived pages on the wayback machine.

I've noticed a few migrated here, like PeterBazooka PeterBazooka , J JacksUsername , and N NYCrooner . I wonder if any of them know what led to the decision to finally take it offline (or why it was online for nearly 6 years as a ghost town in the first place).

I do hope to see more nintendo-centric posters to join or become active, but at the same time I don't want this place to get too congested, it's just not the same and there's very few places online these days that are not a clusterfuck, for lack of a better term.

Winchester

Need hair of the dog before I can even contemplate heading through the busy terminal and security. I enjoy travelling but despise airports.😔

I hear you. My motto:

"Need hair of the dog before I can even contemplate heading into the day. I enjoy life but despise people."

😬

Nah, I'm nothing like that. Or am I...

I do hope to see more nintendo-centric posters to join or become active, but at the same time I don't want this place to get too congested, it's just not the same and there's very few places online these days that are not a clusterfuck, for lack of a better term.

Charlie Foxtrot bud. That's the better term. Agreed though on the fact this place isn't congested with copious amounts of dumbassery and douchebaggery.

So I just started taking public transportation for the first time last week. It's the much better option than driving into downtown. Holy cowz! How have I never been notified of the amazingness that's public transportation? No stress with driving 70mi round trip in traffic, no gas money, and no outrageous parking ramp fees. This is the best ever.

Top Bottom