• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit and Other Stuff

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I just ordered pretty much every LotR game in existence, don't ask me why. This includes The Hobbit (GameCube), a game I was watching with a mix of dread and anticipation, up until it came out and I just lost interest in it.

Was The Hobbit, which was dubbed a Zelda-ish adventure, but some publications, ever a decent game? *shrugs*

Of all the LotR games I ordered, I only ever played The Two Towers for the GBA and Cube.

This time around I'll have those two, as well as GCN and GBA versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King, as well as GBA and PS2 versions of Fellowship of the Ring, and even, Lord of the Rings Volume 1 for the SNES (which I've also played before, actually.)

Oh, and how's War of the Ring for the PC? Got that for 20.

Have you seen the new EGM??? A good portion of the mag is dedicated to a whole new LOTR turn based role playing game that is being developed by the peeps at EA.

Ryu

I hear WotR is decent. Not great, but decent. The new RTS based on the series from EA is shaping up to be awesome however. IGN has tons of high res videos of it on ign.pc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I picked up the hobbit for $9 used a month or so ago. It's passable, but not really that quality. I guess I'm trying to say I enjoyed the title, but not enough to really praise it.

Mejilan

My good man, that VERY article is the reason for this purchasing stint.

See, I don't embrace individual games, but its entire series. I must admit that I enjoyed TTT for the GBA and GCN when I played them. Not quite uber games worth owning, then, but certainly solid. Reviews seem to dictate that RotK for the consoles and GBA were decently improved, at the least, over the sequels. So, with budget prices and Player's Choice releases making things more attractive, and The Third Age looking better and better the more I read about it, I figured it was time to start the collection going.

Now, about that Hobbit game...?

Mejilan

FotR for the GBA is total ass. I got it from a review site once upon a time, played it, reviewed it. TERRIBLE.

Haven't played RotK or Hobbit, however.

Two Towers was fun. Before Shining Soul or BG Dark Alliance, it was the only thing on the handheld that worked as a fun and functional Diablo clone. RotK is similar, and supposed to be much better.

Mejilan

No one played The Hobbit? I refuse to believe that.

At the very least, let's talk about The Third Age, something I was scornful about at first but am slowly starting to get optimistic about.

Memles

Mejilan said:
No one played The Hobbit? I refuse to believe that.

At the very least, let's talk about The Third Age, something I was scornful about at first but am slowly starting to get optimistic about.

Count me in the scornful pile at this point...this whole "Conveniently ending up at the major points in the line of the Fellowship" is pure bullshit to me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Scalemail Ted said:
Have you seen the new EGM??? A good portion of the mag is dedicated to a whole new LOTR turn based role playing game that is being developed by the peeps at EA.

Yes. Too bad the game is like a LOTR skin for FFX.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ROTK is really solid, I hope you enjoy it. Of course, it's just an improved TT in some ways so I doubt it will shock you too much. It's a fun beat-em up though, and it gets viciously difficult in parts.

AeroGod

I thought War of the Ring was pretty good. Its a basic RTS(not ground breaking gameplay or anything), but it was still fun. Its not movie licensed and I actually liked that the best about it, alotta cool things that werent in the movie. The single player campaign was really fun. Multiplayer I tried a few times but it was nothing compared to WC3. WotR single player is worth a play through for fans of LotR though, IMO its worth the 20 bucks at least.

Mejilan

ManaByte said:
Yes. Too bad the game is like a LOTR skin for FFX.

As long as they fix the VA... ;p

And the setting is already like 1,000,000 times better. ;p;p

jarrod

Banned
Mejilan said:
FotR for the GBA is total ass. I got it from a review site once upon a time, played it, reviewed it. TERRIBLE.

Haven't played RotK or Hobbit, however.

Two Towers was fun. Before Shining Soul or BG Dark Alliance, it was the only thing on the handheld that worked as a fun and functional Diablo clone. RotK is similar, and supposed to be much better.
Don't worry about the previous LoTR GBA games, it seems EA/Griptonite are making "The Third Age" into a Fire Emblem styled SRPG. :)

lord-of-the-rings-the-third-age-20040715083830709.jpg
lord-of-the-rings-the-third-age-20040715083831178.jpg
the-lord-of-the-rings-the-third-age-200405070949169.jpg

Mejilan

Yes, it does look promising. And I'm not too worried, because Griptonite were the ones that handled TTT and RotK, the two GOOD GBA LotR games.

Mejilan

Wow, I think I'm coming down with something. See, my stance on videogames licensed from unrelated franchises in general, and EA specifically, is that of casual loathing.

Why then, am I having such a fucking good time with RotK for the GBA and GCN? Both are ridiculously improved over their predecessors, and both use Howard Shore's music brilliantly.

Today must be backwards day...

Mejilan

Actually, I put in about 2 hours into the GBA version of The Hobbit, and half that into the GCN version, so far. Not nearly as bad as I feared. I'll proabably even go back and play the GCN game again.

Top Bottom