• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobLoblaw said:
Posted?

Thorin

Edit: By the way, he looks sooo badass!

H O L Y S H I T!

He reminds me a bit of Aragorn, I really dig the variety of the dwarves, they look totally different from one another, there are two right now that look a bit like humans I think: Kili, and Thorin.

methodman

Banned
So good.

Weta + Peter Jackson + Lord of the rings films is a match made in fucking heaven. These guys keep out doing themselves, I love it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
THE-Pink-Dagger said:
H O L Y S H I T!

He reminds me a bit of Aragorn, I really dig the variety of the dwarves, they look totally different from one another, there are two right now that look a bit like humans I think: Kili, and Thorin.

He's totally got Theoden's face.

WJD said:
I wonder if they managed to make the prostetics less itchy.

Don't they know put a layer of something under everything to prevent that?

Also, that's so awesome. The costume and make up department that Jackson gets are just so perfect.

Now that Thorin and company have been revealed I wonder if we'll see anything during Comic-Con over the next 8 days...maybe a first look at the Elves?

Jokergrin

thorin-richardarmitage520.jpg

Looks like a Klingon

TekkenMaster said:
Now that Thorin and company have been revealed I wonder if we'll see anything during Comic-Con over the next 8 days...maybe a first look at the Elves?

We'll see a trailer, there's one ready to be attached to Captain America I think (not sure).

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
TekkenMaster said:

Might hear some stuff at comic-con but this isn't coming for more then a year. I can see something with Tintin though but that comes in December.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
PhoncipleBone said:
I both do and don't want a look at Smaug. Part of me wants that to stay a complete surprise when the movie opens.
I'm sure Smaug will be kept a secret until the first films release. They're not going spoil something that significant in a piece of promotional artwork, character reveal or a trailer.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Great costume designs overall. I was VERY leery when we saw the first set, that had the Dwarf with the bizarre spiky hair. But all the rest have been great. Very varied so they each have personality and stand out, but still all very dwarf-ish.

That hair though... god that one is awful. But hey, even WETA doesn't bat 100% I guess.

Just got around to seeing the pics of the dwarves. The designs are amazing, for sure, but a lot of them don't even look like dwarves. I guess I just expected all of them to look like variations of Gimli, but a few look closer to elves and humans than dwarves.

That being said, I'm still very excited for these two movies. Now I just need to catch up on the second behind-the-scenes video footage.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Summary Man said:
Just got around to seeing the pics of the dwarves. The designs are amazing, for sure, but a lot of them don't even look like dwarves. I guess I just expected all of them to look like variations of Gimli, but a few look closer to elves and humans than dwarves.

That being said, I'm still very excited for these two movies. Now I just need to catch up on the second behind-the-scenes video footage.
Having all of them looking even remotely similar would seriously bog down the movie. You'll have kids (and even adults) trying to keep up with who's who which would be bad. If it were 5 or 6 dwarves, fine. But 13's pushing it. Still, I too love the designs. Can't wait to see what Smaug, goblins, Beorn etc look like.

agrajag

Banned
bengraven said:
Balin is my boy! I always considered him younger than the rest though...I don't know why. Kind of off-putting with him so old.

Fili and Kili are young. Balin is one of the oldest, if not the oldest dwarves in the party.

Branduil

They obviously erred on the side of making all of the Dwarves look unique. I think that was the right decision when you have 13 Dwarves, even if some look a little odd. Maybe they'll work better on film. Plus, you can easily tell which one is Gimli's father now.

temp

posting on contract only
Yeah I guess the perfect storm of tons of dwarves and The Hobbit being more whimsical and light-hearted always meant that the dwarves were gonna look pretty kooky. I still don't love some of the designs, but it should work out.

bengraven

Damn, didn't production blog 2 come out yesterday?

And suddenly another one.

And this one is the best. John Rhys Davies was amazing.

And the last shot...so awesome...can't wait for number 4.

Hooray for
Christopher Lee
! I'm glad they were able to do that, was worried for a bit.
Also, all of the dwarves look really good in motion.

bengraven said:
Damn, didn't production blog 2 come out yesterday?

And suddenly another one.
pretty sure it was out over a week ago.

bengraven

Also awesome that Brophy has a bigger, hero role this time around. PJ kind of owes it to him after, what 20-25 years?

ImNotLikeThem said:
Hooray for
Christopher Lee
! I'm glad they were able to do that, was worried for a bit.
Also, all of the dwarves look really good in motion.

pretty sure it was out over a week ago.

I'm wondering why they're faces are so red. Maybe it's a makeup trick, since PJ likes to use digital lighting effects on faces like in LOTR to make some stand out and some more shadowed for certain shots? Dunno.

Everyone looks like they were skiing all day and had sunburn.

But yeah, I've only been following the Facebook pages, and I didn't see vblog 2 until yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom