• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joker created Batman? Rubbish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
I thought the Joker was only responsible in the 1989 movie, but the comics have always had it as Joe Chill.

DaveH

That's pre-Crisis... AFAIK, Batman still does not know the identity of his parents' killer. I think there's an on going plot-line where John Corben/Metallo is a suspect/lead.

8bit

Knows the Score
DaveH said:
That's pre-Crisis... AFAIK, Batman still does not know the identity of his parents' killer. I think there's an on going plot-line where John Corben/Metallo is a suspect/lead.

Year Two has Joe Chill in it, IIRC.

DaveH

From this site, article "The Canon of the Bat":
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/bobro/103887248221989.htm

As near as I can determine, "Batman: Year Two" is still canon with the slight revision that Batman was incorrect in identifying his parents' murderer. In 1994's DETECTIVE #678, Batman traveled to an alternate reality in which Joe Chill had not been the gunman and evidently came to the conclusion that Chill wasn't the killer in his case, either. A few weeks later, BATMAN #0 declared, "the crime would go unsolved, the killer's identity never known." The rationale for the change was that, for Batman, "the killer would become a symbol of the faceless crime lurking in every shadow." It seemed kind of pointless to me.

So I'd say it's still up in the air, IMO. Like I said previously, I think there's a new plotline involving Metallo in the Superman-Batman series as to whether he's responsible....

Mason

Can someone briefly explain what you guys are talking about? Like a quick synopsis of who Joe Cool is and when it was said that Joker created Batman, and all that?

Mason said:
Can someone briefly explain what you guys are talking about? Like a quick synopsis of who Joe Cool is and when it was said that Joker created Batman, and all that?

in the original comics, some mobster thug named Joe Chill killed Bruce Wayne's (batman) parents on their way home from the movies during a robbery when he was a kid. In the 1989 Batman movie, Burton (or whoever wrote the script) changed it up so that a young Jack Napier was the one that robbed and killed Bruce Wayne's parents. Jack Napier then went on to become the Joker when he got older.

Seth C

Mason said:

Batman was "created" due to the death of his parents. The movie said that person was Joker, before he became Joker, thus the Joker created Batman indirectly.

Mason

Ok, I see, thanks.

So is the new Batman movie going to go along with the comic and contradict the 1989 Batman movie?

Shinobi

Felidae_Khrall said:
That's what I was referring to. A lot of people take the movie at face value.

They also thought the movie was good, so WTF do they know?

Sai said:
Wasn't it like that for one of the animated Batman movies as well?

Nope...Mask of the Phantasm had Batman's origin, with a bit of a twist (though Napier is a part of the story). Check it out if you've never seen it, it's easily the best Batman movie in existance.

Shinobi said:
They also thought the movie was good, so WTF do they know?

Nope...Mask of the Phantasm had Batman's origin, with a bit of a twist (though Napier is a part of the story). Check it out if you've never seen it, it's easily the best Batman movie in existance.

The first batman movie WAS good. As a movie. Not as a part of the batman universe. It was also the only one of the hollywood releases that did justice to the dark image of batman.

(And for those of you who want to spout off about Batman returns being just as dark...)

Most of his gadgets looked like they were ripped off from the Adam west Travesty (I enjoyed A.W, but it was camp)

I mean, radar that QUACKS when tracking penguins? a Programmable Batarang with a setting for poodle? Fuck off Tim Burton.

Shinobi

Felidae_Khrall said:
The first batman movie WAS good. As a movie. Not as a part of the batman universe. It was also the only one of the hollywood releases that did justice to the dark image of batman.

(And for those of you who want to spout off about Batman returns being just as dark...)

Most of his gadgets looked like they were ripped off from the Adam west Travesty (I enjoyed A.W, but it was camp)

I mean, radar that QUACKS when tracking penguins? a Programmable Batarang with a setting for poodle? Fuck off Tim Burton.

It wasn't good even as a movie...it was slow, boring, with little action and some incredibly silly scenes. But at least we agree on Batman Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom