• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Federation |OT| Star Control 2 and Crusader Kings 2 in space from AI War dev

Pepboy

Developer: Arcen Games, developer of AI War, Valley without Wind, and more

Platforms: PC, out now! Steam, GOG, GMG, and others.

Introduction

An innovative reversal of a traditional 4X game, you play as the last of an ancient race determined to unify seven distinct species under a single federation. This is done by attempting to balance warring sides in a deep simulation. In short, the combat and species-story depth of Star Control 2 combined with the diplomacy and procedural narrative of Crusader Kings 2 (note: no space babies). Maybe a little Populous thrown in for indirect management.

Diplomacy

In TLF, diplomacy is a balancing act. Helping one species too much can lead to resentment from others, or aggression from the now overly strong underdog. Alternatively, you can watch a species crumble and do nothing, ingratiating yourself to the aggressor. Each species has it's own backstory and distinct AI that lends itself to different behaviors. When coupled with random planet features and events, interesting player narrative can emerge (see examples below). Having played it for 16 hours since release, it's surprisingly replayable.

SolarMapFarZoom.jpg

The entire conflict takes place in a single solar system -- 7 planets -- so there's not any navigational exploration, though new space outposts get constructed over time and
apparently planets can be destroyed?
Fail to balance properly and you can end up with one species controlling several planets as in this picture (courtesy of the strategyinformer.com review):

Combat

Although your goal is diplomatic, not everyone's going to bend the knee. Rival federations and anti-federalists pop up to further hinder you. At the end of the day, you need to carry a big stick.

You control a single ship in turn-based combat, but can launch fighters, have allies bring in ships, and so on. You have traditional weapon selection paired with some interesting special abilities (e.g. virus to take over nearby ships, launching garbage out your backside, divert power to shields, heal allies, cloaking, and so on). Each turn, you plot a course for your ship and select the weapon + targets (or special ability), and advance to the next turn, usually 2.5 seconds or so. You can also divert power to shields / weapons / engines turn by turn if you like to micromanage, though a lot of that is thankfully automatically handled.

Right now, combat is fun, but could use a little more work. Although I've died several times, there are forum posts about optimal combat strategies at some of the easier combat difficulties. Given Arcen's track record I expect they'll be addressed shortly.

Features

• Simulation with a nice mix of player agency, species-specific behavior, and the "butterfly effect"
  • Turn-based combat reminiscent of bullet hell shmups
  • Research or steal technology, give it or broker it to other species
  • Acts of sabotage, Treaties to broker, Items for bribing, Pirates for fighting
  • Optional IronMan mode
  • Great soundtrack (click for OST)
  • Humorous tool-tip / faux tweets / flavor text all over the place

So what do you do?
I will spoiler this section for those who want to enter pure and are ready to take the dive. For the rest, in the past 16 hours across multiple playthroughs, I have:
  • Convinced a parliament to switch parties to a more industrial one, then told them to build more ships so they could finish the war they started.
  • Dueled a warlord to gain respect among his peers
  • Grabbed defeated pilots (in escape pods), sold them into slavery, bought bribery items
  • Numerous acts of terrorism to convince species to go to war with one another
  • Conquered space research platforms and used them to cure vaccines for their enemies
  • Determined which species are worthy of the gift of flight and which need to be beaten down like dogs
  • Played a pivotal role in virtually every battle I participate
  • Watch an entire species burn to dust as their environment became increasingly inhospitable. Due to my sabotage.

Anyways, if it's unclear, check out this gameplay trailer on youtube.

Who is this for?

• Simulation junkies
  • Diplomacy fiends
  • Player-narrative authors
  • Gamers tired of the same thing

Reasons to wait
For the sake of objectivity, here are some reasons you might want to wait:
  • Still getting a few kinks out here and there, many of them likely to be solved with the next patch this upcoming week.
  • The game has amazing potential and, knowing Arcen, should get better with time
  • Eventually, further discounts. Right now the game is listed at $15 (25% off sale) which I think is more than fair for the value.

Reviews
StrategyInformer - "Whole heartedly recommended"
TotalBiscuit - "They really did nail it." (35 min in)
SavingContent Full Review - 4 out of 5 - "The Last Federation marks Arcen Games’ return to space games, and does fantastic things with it."
James Allen - Full Review - 8 out of 8 - "...The Last Federation is an satisfactory mix of grand strategy and tactical combat."

GAF Impressions
This has been pretty good so far! [and in a later post] Game's pretty dope. I have to play the combat on OP mode though -_-
I am awfully surprised how well this runs for me, as my laptop is ancient, which has trouble running games like Jedi Outcast II. I've never been a fan of 4X games, as they can quickly become overwhelming, and this game is no exception. [..] the beginning of the game throws a bunch of different lists I'm probably going to forget exist, [...] I feel like I will be a hindrance to myself, as I will not take the time to learn the ins and outs of the game.

[The battle system is] pretty simple, a little too simple on the surface, until the tutorial shows you way points, then it all kind of clicks. Maneuvering through a bullet hell while redirecting power to shields to transport space faring tech to an alien species was kind of cool, although I'm still lost on the consequences of the battles, like missing calls I didn't see.
I'll definitely be buying another code for a gaffer after I've experienced the game, [...]
Won one time on Normal, now I'm having a really hard time on Hard. Really awesome game. Sinked over 8 hours in one go and didn't even notice. Arcen really did nail it this time.

Final Note - Sorry I didn't do this amazing game justice with an equally impressive OT. In my 8 years at NeoGAF I never once felt compelled to create an OT for a game before today, so my apologies if it's inadequate. If more reviews and impressions roll in, I will be happy to add them to the OT.

Pepboy

Heard this game compared with Drox Operative some. Drox is pretty awesome, is this similar?

I haven't personally played Drox yet, but have also heard the comparison. I will watch a video or two and get back to you shortly.

Similar to CK2? Space? I'm in.

I think the diplomacy and player driven narrative are similar, and how the combat sort of takes a back role to the larger strategic view. However, to be clear you aren't birthing and marrying off fifteen offspring with some DNA attributes. They've announced plans to add new features / events weekly that also sound close to CK2.

Pepboy

Heard this game compared with Drox Operative some. Drox is pretty awesome, is this similar?

Looking over the videos and reading reviews, Drox seems pretty similar in overall theme (single ship, multiple species, combat). There are also differences -- Drox seems to focus on the action RPG / combat aspect. In TLF, the combat is there and it's fun, you can upgrade your equipment, but it's more about the other actions you can take in diplomacy. For example, in TLF you fly from planet to planet almost instantly, whereas it seems Drox involves some travelling to negotiate. I guess the other gameplay difference is the real-time aspect of Drox combat vs the turnbased combat of TLF.

That being said, Drox does seem to have a diplomatic "unite the races" victory condition, among others. I am also going to make a personal note to check out Drox when I get a chance, so thank you! I would say if you enjoyed Drox, but are looking for a new take on it, TLF is worth a serious consideration. Alternatively you could wait until it's got a bit of the kinks worked out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just stumbled across this on the Steam store... considering buying it to scratch my "4X in Space" itch I got after playing a lot of Civ V & finding out about the SMAC sequel...

Pepboy

TotalBiscuit did a pretty solid "WTF is" youtube video for this game.

Worth a watch if you're undecided on the game, he breaks it down nicely and is rather positive about it overall.

Thanks for the heads up! I added it and some impressions to the OP.

Where the fuck did this come from? Why did I just buy it immediately?

Come back and let us know what you think! I will add it to the OP, positive or negative.

Just stumbled across this on the Steam store... considering buying it to scratch my "4X in Space" itch I got after playing a lot of Civ V & finding out about the SMAC sequel...

Curious if it scratched your 4x in space itch, for me it felt more like scratching a diplomacy itch.

fleck0

Been eyeing this since it showed up and halfway through TBs video I must have it. One question - Is there no music or sound during the battles? Or does totalbiscuit just have it turned off for recording purposes?

edit: in retrospect it seems like he has all sound off. Excited to get started, I love the way Arcen supports their games. Forum posts from the devs say they'll be adding new content every day this week, followed by at least one a week.

Pepboy

Been eyeing this since it showed up and halfway through TBs video I must have it. One question - Is there no music or sound during the battles? Or does totalbiscuit just have it turned off for recording purposes?

edit: in retrospect it seems like he has all sound off. Excited to get started, I love the way Arcen supports their games. Forum posts from the devs say they'll be adding new content every day this week, followed by at least one a week.

Yeah, he must have it turned off -- the game has pretty nice music (sometimes I leave it playing in background) and sound effects. I think they probably draw from the sound effect library from AI War but I don't know any specifics.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention that tidbit from the blog post. I believe there's another small patch 1.003 coming out today/tomorrow. It's really impressive. Let me know what you think (good or bad) and I will post it to the OP.

Mindlog

Who is this for?

• Simulation junkies
  • Diplomacy fiends
  • Player-narrative authors
  • Gamers tired of the same thing
I like your list. The second item isn't always important (Hello UNITOL,) but the other three items strike at my core gaming interests.

atr0cious

Some initial thoughts on the game, as a giveaway recipient, in case I forget later.

I am awfully surprised how well this runs for me, as my laptop is ancient, which has trouble running games like Jedi Outcast II. I've never been a fan of 4X games, as they can quickly become overwhelming, and this game is no exception.

It's pretty late and I'm high, but that's pretty much how I play games, and the beginning of the game throws a bunch of different lists I'm probably going to forget exist, although it does assure you that you don't have to remember them. It does give you a decent breakdown, and probably more in the logbook, but I feel like I will be a hindrance to myself, as I will not take the time to learn the ins and outs of the game.

My first look at the battle system is kind of cloudy as I'm reflecting back and realizing things about the system. It's pretty simple, a little too simple on the surface, until the tutorial shows you way points, then it all kind of clicks. Maneuvering through a bullet hell while redirecting power to shields to transport space faring tech to an alien species was kind of cool, although I'm still lost on the consequences of the battles, like missing calls I didn't see.

Piques my interest but with my current lifestyle, I don't know how the obtuseness will affect my enjoyment yet. If the AI can ruin my game, like the game kind of warns, then I probably won't continue. I'll play this again, if only because it runs with no effort on my laptop.

Pepboy

I like your list. The second item isn't always important (Hello UNITOL,) but the other three items strike at my core gaming interests.

Thanks! I debated point 3 as well, because there's still not quite as many unexpected events happening as CK2, but looking back I did feel like I was creating a story. I hope you give it a try, let me know and I will post your impressions in the OP.

Some initial thoughts on the game, as a giveaway recipient, in case I forget later.

Thank you! I will add them to the OP. Regarding combat, I also found it simplistic at first as well but had a similar revelation. After playing a first "quick game" I would recommend using the "Advanced New Game" and select to have all powers, options, etc. from the beginning.

I found the effects of combat are often straightforward in the sense that it tells you what you will get out of it before starting (e.g. bribe item for killing pirates, influence effects for helping a species being attacked), but I agree that it's obtuse how to go about knowing which conflicts / combats to engage in and which to avoid. I found that part a little exciting as nothing in my gaming experience really informed me as to what I should do. The after-combat debriefing could also use some better UI rather than a list of effects, but I think that's taking a back seat to the daily bugs being fixed. Curious how your impressions change over time.

Your other play it forward thread got me here Pepboy. I am an Arcen fan, I own all their games, and I was waiting for a sale to buy this but your initiative made me pull the trigger.

Just a heads up for anyone on the fence in Europe. Humble Store has The Last Federation for 10.99€. The games is automagically linked to your Steam account.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thelastfederation_storefront

Thanks Corto! I hope I did not lead you astray, I know there's still some rough edges here and there that would probably be smoothed by the time of a future sale. From reading the dev forums, it sounds like the next sale will probably be either $15 again or $12.50, they have a lot of price points before they're going to drop it to $5 or less. So hopefully you won't experience that sales-regret we've all experienced.

SLV

Thanks Pepboy for the game giveaway. Finally got some time in, the game is quite overwhelming at first. The combat reminds me a little bit of Space Pirates and Zombies. After i got to the solar system screen it opens up with a wall of text after each step you do. there is just too much information IMO given in a short amount of time. I really have to play this game some more hours/days to give a better report.

Overall the first impression is that it is quite the meaty game with a lot of options, too much even maybe at the very start.

Mindlog

Thanks! I debated point 3 as well, because there's still not quite as many unexpected events happening as CK2, but looking back I did feel like I was creating a story. I hope you give it a try, let me know and I will post your impressions in the OP.
Your 'What do you do?' section is exactly the kind of thing I want with point 3.
My impressions will be a while. Right now I'm juggling between FTL and Garden Warfare when I have the time and Distant Worlds: Universe is almost here. Been waiting to try that series for a while. Always here a lot of mixed reviews.

Seeing TLF on GoG/Humble stores pretty much guarantees it will be added to my library at some point.

Still would enjoy reading more impressions from GAF.

Faabulous

Won one time on Normal, now I'm having a really hard time on Hard. Really awesome game. Sinked over 8 hours in one go and didn't even notice. Arcen really did nail it this time.

Human_me

Just bought the game and looking forward to playing it later.

Any one got any good beginner tips they would like to share?

Pepboy

Just bought the game and looking forward to playing it later.

Any one got any good beginner tips they would like to share?

To be honest, I'm still trying to get a good handle on it. I think there are still some rough edges so if you want to "game" the system to win, you can. Those loopholes are being patched up pretty quickly (big patch coming later today). So I would recommend just playing with a "character" mindset. Pretend you are super pissed at the species that killed your species and want to enact revenge, or perhaps take a look at steam achievements to give you some interesting victory objectives.

General things I wish I had known:
  • Early positive relationships between species continue to deepen over time
  • A lot of the best actions are done by dealing with the species itself, not through the "friendly actions" screen
  • Trade is pretty great for developing positive relations between species (see broker trade deal)
  • You don't need everyone to like you, sometimes you just need them to like each other
  • Eventually you are trying to establish a federation. The federation screen was bugged for me, so that vertical sliders didn't show up, but you can start the federation between any two species, just use the mousewheel.

Hawk SE

I reviewed The Last Federation, we gave it a 4 out of 5:

The best kind of missions, are where you’re taking on a more active role, and placed into the thick of combat. This is where The Last Federation shines. When you are in battle with the AI, you can focus power to be prioritized to weapons, armor, and engines. And at any time can you balance the power or put all of your power into a particular station. Additionally, each faction is susceptible to specific weapon attacks. You can learn what their weakness is by hovering the mouse over them. Special abilities are eventually unlocked to use on your enemies, whether it’s a blast that destroys incoming shots, or a cloak to disappear. These abilities have limited use and are crucial to success in the late game.

Full Review: http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/04/25/the-last-federation-review/

I haven't played too much of the game (around 20-30 minutes) as I've been pretty busy lately, but so far what I've played of the game has a lot of potential to suck out hours of my time. From the start of the game, the narrative established in the intro was surprisingly both lore heavy and nice. I liked how the tutorial went into a lot of detail, but also told you that you didn't have to remember everything at the time and allowed you to read the tutorial info anywhere.

The combat was pretty overwhelming as first, but as I learned more I found myself maneuvering my way around enemies with ease. I still have a lot to learn, but so far I'm really enjoying this game.

I'm still planning on gifting a copy, I apologize for the wait guys. I've had practically no hours at work since early May, but I have a pretty busy schedule so when I get paid next I'll gift a gaffer a copy.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm still planning on gifting a copy, I apologize for the wait guys. I've had practically no hours at work since early May, but I have a pretty busy schedule so when I get paid next I'll gift a gaffer a copy.

Did you name any terms for the giveaway? I'd be interested, I cant really justify spending 15$ now after burning my wallet in the steam sale (again), but I'd love to see what Arcen was up to. Their games are always very interesting to try and play even if they arent perfect.

Did you name any terms for the giveaway? I'd be interested, I cant really justify spending 15$ now after burning my wallet in the steam sale (again), but I'd love to see what Arcen was up to. Their games are always very interesting to try and play even if they arent perfect.

Originally, it was meant to go through the OP, for people's requests, but considering how the thread has died down, I will happily gift you a copy when I get paid next. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Originally, it was meant to go through the OP, for people's requests, but considering how the thread has died down, I will happily gift you a copy when I get paid next. :)

I'll make sure to "repay" the kindness by writing up some impressions for this thread and the indie thread :)

Someone really should have linked this thread/game description in the Indie Game thread when this thread was created btw. I dont get why people dont do that.

AJLma

Picked this up on the Steam Sale and have not been able to put it down, I haven't even had the desire to make time to play Divinity:OS. I should have bought this at full price LONG ago.

I really didn't expect this game to be as deep and customizable as it is. It seems like for the whole first 2 hours I played they've been unlocking deeper and deeper systems that give you a huge number of options for how you want to progress through the game. The combat system is also really creative and addictive.

The game also got a decent combat graphics update yesterday that makes it just that much more visually appealing. The game needed it, I'm embarrassed to say that it was the visual style that deterred me from buying it at first.

Toma

Picked this up on the Steam Sale and have not been able to put it down, I haven't even had the desire to make time to play Divinity:OS. I should have bought this at full price LONG ago.

I really didn't expect this game to be as deep and customizable as it is. It seems like for the whole first 2 hours I played they've been unlocking deeper and deeper systems that give you a huge number of options for how you want to progress through the game. The combat system is also really creative and addictive.

The game also got a decent combat graphics update yesterday that makes it just that much more visually appealing. The game needed it, I'm embarrassed to say that it was the visual style that deterred me from buying it at first.

Comparison screenshots?

AJLma

Sorry I don't have any. I wasn't expecting the upgrade so it took me by surprise.

It's not a huge overhaul, in combat the ships and their shields just look a bit higher res.

Finally started playing this a bit and had a lot of fun with it. Some of the mechanics seem a bit opaque but it's really good so far.

Toma

Hopefully you enjoy your gifted copy. :) I can't wait to read the write-up!

I hope so too! I'll get on that once I finished going through all Indie Games this month.

Wow I didn't know this game had an OT. This game is great! The gameplay is addicting, the combat offers a nice change from the overall game, and the Thoraxians are terrifying. Also it has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Buy it!

Pepboy

Just an update, the Last Federation is on sale again for 55% (so $9 now) on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/

The expansion, Betrayed Hope, is also officially out (no longer beta). I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but still contend that the base game is an interesting twist on traditional 4x formulas. Though it seems like it has undergone some changes that I haven't had a chance to play.

Anyone out there playing this? I picked up the Betrayed Hope DLC in the Steam sale (didn't expect it to go on a daily sale so I just went for it).

Anyone got tips for Betrayed Hope? How do I take over a planet?

Top Bottom