• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim | Official Trailer | Dec. 11 (Internationally) Dec. 13 (US)

near

Gold Member

The Lord Of The Rings: The War Of The Rohirrim tells the fate of the House of Helm Hammerhand (Brian Cox), the legendary King of Rohan. A sudden attack by Wulf (Luke Pasqualino), a clever and ruthless Dunlending lord seeking vengeance for the death of his father, forces Helm and his people to make a daring last stand in the ancient stronghold of the Hornburg—a mighty fortress that will later come to be known as Helm’s Deep. Finding herself in an increasingly desperate situation, Héra (Gaia Wise), the daughter of Helm, must summon the will to lead the resistance against a deadly enemy intent on their total destruction.

Directed by Kenji Kamiyama
Written by Jeffrey Addiss & Will Matthews and Phoebe Gittins & Arty Papageorgiou

near

Gold Member
Everything looks excellent except for the skinny girl power glass ceiling breaking protagonist for modern audiences.
Couldn't agree more. The female protagonist feels like another forced quota especially after seeing the trailer to Snyder’s Twilight of the Gods just yesterday with similar female redhead lead. But I think this actually looks really good for what it's worth.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Couldn't agree more. The female protagonist feels like another forced quota especially after seeing the trailer to Snyder’s Twilight of the Gods just yesterday with similar female redhead lead. But I think this actually looks really good for what it's worth.
Yeah, it does look well made, and Kenji Kamiyama is a great director. So I will probably watch it.

Just some red flags there with the writing. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and Seirei no Moribito, also by Kamiyama, had badass female protagonists but they fit into the world that was created and didn't involve any lecturing. Meanwhile this is Lord of the Rings and half the dialogue in the trailer is about her basically overthrowing the patriarchy to be taken seriously. It's a major turn-off.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Everything looks excellent except for the skinny girl power glass ceiling breaking protagonist for modern audiences.

I'm just grateful she's not drawn like Lara in the upcoming anime:

images

Thank the Valar for the small mercies.

near

Gold Member
Yeah, it does look well made, and Kenji Kamiyama is a great director. So I will probably watch it.

Just some red flags there with the writing. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and Seirei no Moribito, also by Kamiyama, had badass female protagonists but they fit into the world that was created and didn't involve any lecturing. Meanwhile this is Lord of the Rings and half the dialogue in the trailer is about her basically overthrowing the patriarchy to be taken seriously. It's a major turn-off.
I don't think I can un-see it now after rewatching the trailer lol, don't ruin this for me before it even comes out!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't think I can un-see it now after rewatching the trailer lol, don't ruin this for me before it even comes out!
Haha my bad! They do show a lot of other cool stuff in the trailer though so it might not ending up being a big deal. Certainly on a completely different level from that Zach Snyder Adult Cartoon trash.

near

Gold Member
Haha my bad! They do show a lot of other cool stuff in the trailer though so it might not ending up being a big deal. Certainly on a completely different level from that Zach Snyder Adult Cartoon trash.
Yeah I have very little confidence in that Snyder animated series, he's gone astray a little in he's work. I still haven't gotten around to watching Part 2 of Rebel Moon DC. Part 1 was an improvement tho, but not by much.

Fbh

Gold Member
The script seems written by AI but at least the art style and overall production values look good.
I assume the lip sync is made for the Japanese voices, right? since it seems a bit off in the trailer.

near

Gold Member
I assume the lip sync is made for the Japanese voices, right? since it seems a bit off in the trailer.
I don't think so. I searched for the Japanese trailer and the official one is in English with Japanese subtitles. But there is this cut of the trailer with Japanese voice overs, and lip syncing looks worse here imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks slick. But it's obviously a girl power movie. As long as they dont interject some political agendas into it, I'm fine with it. Hey, as a kid I had my fun watching both He-Man and She-Ra.

The_hunter

The animation looks good. The horses and elephants looked hand drawn, no easy task.

In anime, the scriptwriter and director both have a say in the direction of the story. Could go either way, but I'm cautious.

The_hunter

The script seems written by AI but at least the art style and overall production values look good.
From my knowledge, in anime dubbing is done after animation is done. The animators would act out the dub themselves and animated the motions to their mouth movements. After that the voice actors get together in a room, and do the voices to the animation.

In the west, animation is made after the dub is done. To answer your question, since it's made in Japan, JP is probably the original dub here.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Love LOTR but I kind of don’t want to support this.
I’m over the strong independent woman who don’t need no man trope that we’ve had constantly for quite some time now.

I love it in some instances but this isn’t it.

Oberstein

Yeah, not so good.
It's modern fiction like RoP.
If you hate Amazon's show, then you can't find much to like in this trailer. Otherwise it reeks of hypocrisy. We've got a girlboss, a refusal to marry and traditions, in short nothing to do with Tolkien's work. Not to mention the character of “Hera”, who takes on absolutely insane proportions in what we hear. She's going to be the reason Frodo destroys the ring, you'll see.

Mr Hyde

Cautiously optimistic. Animated LOTR can be really good, as seen by Ralph Bakshi, and a fresh alternative to Peter Jacksons movies. An anime approach to it is interesting even if I'm not an avid watcher of it. No clue who the director is but if he's responsible for writing Akira and Ghost in the Shell it at least brings hope that the story, dialogue and characters will be solid.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I think it will be fun, even if it isn't Tolkien. There is some stuff in the appendices about Rohan.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Cautiously optimistic. Animated LOTR can be really good, as seen by Ralph Bakshi, and a fresh alternative to Peter Jacksons movies. An anime approach to it is interesting even if I'm not an avid watcher of it. No clue who the director is but if he's responsible for writing Akira and Ghost in the Shell it at least brings hope that the story, dialogue and characters will be solid.
He's just the director. The credited writers are two guys known mostly (virtually ONLY) for the Dark Crystal prequel show and the daughter of Philippa Boyens (of LOTR writing fame). So that explains a lot about the female focus, I imagine this lady injected a lot of herself into the script, either altering whatever the other 2 initially pitched or they were brought on to flesh it out. But there is VERY little track record for these three, at least in stuff that made it to IMDB. Certainly not a knock, we all gotta start somewhere, but there isn't much to give us an idea of the show. I did like the Dark Crystal show though, shame they spent all that cash on puppets (which seems like the big hurdle to get the show going) and then cancelled it after just a year.

The director was just a background artist on Akira and was the writer/director of GitS:SAC, not the original movie. SAC was pretty good so hopefully he has a lot of influence here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I get what you’re all saying about the female protagonist, but don’t forget who killed the Witch-king
I'm just hoping the "You know nothing of war" line is taken out of context. Give me a father who loves his daughter, prepares her for living in a harsh violent world, trains her just like he does his sons, and holds her accountable for her actions appropriately. Not some oaf that is oblivious to all the combat training and martial contributions ("I'm the fastest rider you have") she makes and just exists to give some rabid feminists a "you go gurl!" moment. THATS the crux of the "girlboss" (in the context of film, well aware of the business connotation being different) complaint. It creates this mary sue character who faces CONSTANT criticism despite her OBVIOUS superiority in every aspect because every other character is so blinded by her WOMANNESS they can't see past it and just realize that she is the best choice for any task and just GTF outta her way.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m getting some Rey X Kylo Ren vibes from that trailer, hope I’m wrong. (Except she’s probably a lesbian)

Ulysses 31

I'm just hoping the "You know nothing of war" line is taken out of context. Give me a father who loves his daughter, prepares her for living in a harsh violent world, trains her just like he does his sons, and holds her accountable for her actions appropriately. Not some oaf that is oblivious to all the combat training and martial contributions ("I'm the fastest rider you have") she makes and just exists to give some rabid feminists a "you go gurl!" moment. THATS the crux of the "girlboss" (in the context of film, well aware of the business connotation being different) complaint. It creates this mary sue character who faces CONSTANT criticism despite her OBVIOUS superiority in every aspect because every other character is so blinded by her WOMANNESS they can't see past it and just realize that she is the best choice for any task and just GTF outta her way.
If it turns out to be another "you were awesome all along, the world just didn't know it yet" and she doesn't grows in the story or her flaws don't get in the way of getting what she wants, then it's a probably a girlboss movie. :messenger_winking_tongue:

This 3D/2D visual style is weird especially when seen in motion.
I would have preferred if they have gone full 3d instead of this style.
As for the protagonist, I have little hope that she will be anything but a girlboss.
These people never learn!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Careful. This point is straight out of LotR Appendix A. The situation with Wulf and his father and the refused marriage which sparks the war with the Dunlendings is canon

I posted the entirety of Tolkien's writing about Helm and this conflict from the appendices in another thread, hopefully linked above. HELM refuses the marriage because Freca, Wulf's father, was untrustworthy. NOTHING is said about how the unnamed daughter felt about it, and in the war that ensues, it's the SONS that do all the fighting. So to inject a female warrior and give her notable events is likely replacing the MEN from the story, not just giving additional actions to the daughter. It's femininst fan-fic, most likely. Would any LESS audience show up if it was just the sons in the spotlight and the daughter was barely mentioned? I suspect just the opposite, if this was billed as a Middle-Earth action film about this struggle and 'Hera' was appropriately situated within the story as the side-character she is, then I think hype would be GREATER. But somehow this thing got green-lit as a "womans story" because they probably are counting on the male LOTR fans to show up regardless (taking them for granted) and want this to appeal to that largely mythical "We want to see women spill blood in battle!!!" female audience.

There are plenty of stories in the Silmarillion that would have broad appeal to men and women, romances across ages, love that stands through adversity, strong women who lead their people through hardship. To twist this one into a girlboss, if that's indeed what they are doing, is wrong and unnecessary, IMHO. It's a valid criticism to level at the project, one they should have anticipated and either accept it or actively market to counter it. But instead the trailer features Hera so thoroughly you'd think she wins the war all by her lithe petite self.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan

I posted the entirety of Tolkien's writing about Helm and this conflict from the appendices in another thread, hopefully linked above. HELM refuses the marriage because Freca, Wulf's father, was untrustworthy. NOTHING is said about how the unnamed daughter felt about it, and in the war that ensues, it's the SONS that do all the fighting. So to inject a female warrior and give her notable events is likely replacing the MEN from the story, not just giving additional actions to the daughter. It's femininst fan-fic, most likely. Would any LESS audience show up if it was just the sons in the spotlight and the daughter was barely mentioned? I suspect just the opposite, if this was billed as a Middle-Earth action film about this struggle and 'Hera' was appropriately situated within the story as the side-character she is, then I think hype would be GREATER. But somehow this thing got green-lit as a "womans story" because they probably are counting on the male LOTR fans to show up regardless (taking them for granted) and want this to appeal to that largely mythical "We want to see women spill blood in battle!!!" female audience.

There are plenty of stories in the Silmarillion that would have broad appeal to men and women, romances across ages, love that stands through adversity, strong women who lead their people through hardship. To twist this one into a girlboss, if that's indeed what they are doing, is wrong and unnecessary, IMHO. It's a valid criticism to level at the project, one they should have anticipated and either accept it or actively market to counter it. But instead the trailer features Hera so thoroughly you'd think she wins the war all by her lithe petite self.
I hear that. I have more hope for this than something like Rings of Power S2 though. They're both drawing their plots from about a page of rushed summaries of history. But I think there is more of a focused plot they can make up here.

My concern is the stuff with Oliphants. Dunlendings didn't have them. They're from Harad and were basically mythic at this point in the lore. Having them charge around Eriador is kinda odd and member berryish.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I get what you’re all saying about the female protagonist, but don’t forget who killed the Witch-king
Agreed,Merry shall never be forgotten.

drunk the lord of the rings GIF

Yes I know Eowyn had the final strike but she'd have been minced meat on the Witch-King's flail had Merry not come in clutch. I actually really liked how that scene was portrayed,no marysue,girl boss shit,just a warrior girl with her trusty friend giving her the upper hand

Hopefully this shit isn't just some full girlboss garbage and they actually emphasise Helm Hammerhand's might and prowess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom