• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega Man X8 Demake Full Version Is Out Now!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's pretty cool. It doesn't look quite right, but it's a pretty impressive attempt. It does make me wish we could get another proper MMX game someday.

kevboard

oh shit! I'm going to try getting this to run on my Deck later for sure!

EDIT: for people wanting to play it on the Deck like me, a step by step tutorial:

-Turn on Steam Deck

-After it is fully booted, hold the power button, then select [Switch to Desktop]

-In Dektop mode open a browser, go to the link OP posted, and download the game to a folder you can easily find (Desktop or Home for example)

-Unzip the game by hovering over it with your cursor and pressing L2, then select [Extract], then [Extract Archive Here]

-still in dektop mode, open Steam (a shortcut should be on the dektop)

-On the top of the Steam window select [Games] then [add Non-Steam game to my Library], then in the new window that opens click [Browse], then look for the game's .exe you unzipped and select it

-The game is now in your Library, so go back to the Dektop and double click the [Return to Gaming Mode] shortcut which should be there by default

-After your Deck rebooted into Gaming Mode, press the Steam button and go to your Library, and with R1 Switch over to Non-Steam games, where Mega Man X8 should now be in

-while highlighting it, press the Menu button (the 3 Lines button aka. Start) and select [Properties]

-Here you can change the name of the game to be less confusing.

-After changing the name, click on [Compatibility], and tick the box next to [Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool], and in the dropdown menu that will appear select Proton Experimental

DONE
now you can back out and start the game :)

for a 90fps lock on the Deck OLED, go into the game's settings menu and select 120fps and vsync off. let the steam deck's framerate limiter handle the rest

Last edited:

SHA

Sigma Rock is pure corruption, they don't fit in the same world, let alone being the same person.

kevboard

With wine or something else?

this game basically is only an exe you download.

so I now got it running, and it was super straight forward.
just go into desktop mode, download the game, extract it into a folder (I just made one on the desktop and named it MegaMan X8 DM)
then in desktop mode open steam, click on games then add non-steam game and from there select the exe that you extracted.

now you can go back into the default game mode of the deck.
the game will now be in your Library under non steam games.

there you go into its properties and in the compatibility settings select a proton version. I just used experimental, and it worked.

the game seems to run flawlessly, I finished the intro stage at a locked 90fps.
I even was able to downclock the GPU to 1000mhz to save battery life and had not a single framerate dip in the intro stage.

to get 90fps, go to the game's in-game options, select framerate target 120, select vsync off, and just let the Steam Deck's own 90fps vsync do its job. badabing badaboom, 90fps.

I even have the CRT filter set to light, which should increase the GPU load compared to having it off. but still locked 90fps at 1000mhz GPU clock

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
this game basically is only an exe you download.

so I now got it running, and it was super straight forward.
just go into desktop mode, download the game, extract it into a folder (I just made one on the desktop and named it MegaMan X8 DM)
then in desktop mode open steam, click on games then add non-steam game and from there select the exe that you extracted.

now you can go back into the default game mode of the deck.
the game will now be in your Library under non steam games.

there you go into its properties and in the compatibility settings select a proton version. I just used experimental, and it worked.

the game seems to run flawlessly, I finished the intro stage at a locked 90fps.
I even was able to downclock the GPU to 1000mhz to save battery life and had not a single framerate dip in the intro stage.

to get 90fps, go to the game's in-game options, select framerate target 120, select vsync off, and just let the Steam Deck's own 90fps vsync do its job. badabing badaboom, 90fps.

I even have the CRT filter set to light, which should increase the GPU load compared to having it off. but still locked 90fps at 1000mhz GPU clock
Thanks a bunch for the steps. I’ll get this running tonight too.

kevboard

Thanks a bunch for the steps. I’ll get this running tonight too.

Additionally, if you want perfect pixel scaling, you can set the game to windowed mode, 1x window size, and then in the steam deck's side bar under the performance settings, set the scaling mode to integer, and the scaling filter to pixel.

this will not completely fill the screen, so you will have a small black border around the entire game. on my Deck OLED not an issue imo.

if you don't do that, and just run it in Fullscreen mode, you will see some uneven pixel scaling where some pixels are wider than others.
many people don't care about this stuff, and I bet if you use the CRT filter it's less noticeable in the first place, but I set it up like that on my end because I want my pixels to be pristine 🧐

SkylineRKR

X8 is severely underrated. X7 was hot trash but this one was actually solid. I 100% the game on the MMX collection and its probably one of my faves. I could do without the vehicle stages and it did rely a bit too heavy on gimmicks in each stage but great game.

I like what I see here but from what I gather its reduced to X only, making it not-X8 heh.

Needlecrash

X8 is severely underrated. X7 was hot trash but this one was actually solid. I 100% the game on the MMX collection and its probably one of my faves. I could do without the vehicle stages and it did rely a bit too heavy on gimmicks in each stage but great game.

I like what I see here but from what I gather its reduced to X only, making it not-X8 heh.
X7 is pure dog shit. The jump to full 3D, stage design, boss fights, underwhelming weapons and slow message speed/navigation make it the WORST of the X series. X8 is damn good and very underrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom