• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NoRéN said:
Cool, I'll look them up. Any specific album to start with?

Since you asked for symphonic metal, you should get Communion

Nekrono said:
Ok I am in need of more progressive bands to my collection, anyone care to recommend some?

Being a somewhat underground genre it's a bit hard to find bads without word of mouth.

I like everything progressive like DT, Symphony X, Andromeda, Circus Maximus, 3, etc, you get the idea.

Likely you've heard of them if you like prog, but in case you haven't: Pain of Salvation (I'd recommend The Perfect Element to start with)

I also liked Evergrey

NoRéN said:
Currently listening to Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. So far, it's good. I figure I would work my way backwards.

Thanks for reminding me about Kreator. You've probably already heard it but, I recommend:
Enemy Of God
Yep, Enemy of God is good. Not as good as Hordes of Chaos though, primarily because the title track from that album is maybe the catchiest thrash song I've ever heard.

And awesome, let us know how you like Surtur. Especially after you've had time to go through some other AA albums so you can compare it in context of their discography

I wish I was getting into Amon Amarth for the first time. They have some truly unique and exceptional stuff out there.

RDreamer

ManeKast said:
Should not be that massive a difference for albums, speaking of, is there any word of new material?

New material's already done and mixed and ready as far as I know. They're just waiting on roadrunner to start hyping it and then release it.

And it does suck that Per's gone. I enjoy his work with the band, but I don't think it'll be a big difference. It won't change this album, though, since he's already on the record. I only hope that there wasn't a lot of tension or anything in the recording process that would have mucked with things. I doubt it, though.

Gaspode_T

That's awesome too, sounds a little like Meshuggah meets Scale the Summit ;)

Gojira is one of my favorite bands - if you like this I hope you already know of them.

Flynn

Mr. Paer said:
I found this really interesting

And it also reminded me that I need to find a way to watch "Until the Light Takes us" or whatever it was called. Just got a netflix sub, hopefully they have it

I wish Until the Light Takes Us was a better documentary. I feel like it doesn't dig quite deep enough. Still worth watching if you're interested in that scene. I have to read Lords of the Underground -- all I hear is that's the key black metal text.

Chibrou

Nekrono said:
Ok I am in need of more progressive bands to my collection, anyone care to recommend some?

Being a somewhat underground genre it's a bit hard to find bads without word of mouth.

I like everything progressive like DT, Symphony X, Andromeda, Circus Maximus, 3, etc, you get the idea.
Can't link anything as i type that from a phone but try "Burn the sun" from the band "Ark", groovy, technical and original, a true prog classic.

I've also discovered some italian prog band named Kingcrow with their album "phlegethon", pretty good stuff.

Melchiah

I guess there might be some people here, who'd be interested in this death metal project of a friend of mine. He plays all the instruments, and has also painted the covers for the album, Tenebrous Towers, which will be released in May by Hammer of Hate. The band features two singers, who also perform in Lie in Ruins and Sacrilegious Impalement.

http://www.myspace.com/desolateshrine

A9zMU.jpg

gbFSP.jpg

Flynn said:
I wish Until the Light Takes Us was a better documentary. I feel like it doesn't dig quite deep enough. Still worth watching if you're interested in that scene. I have to read Lords of the Underground -- all I hear is that's the key black metal text.

Yea i felt the same. I saw it in theaters and was kind of disappointed, then saw it again on DVD and fell asleep. The extra disc on Metal: A Headbanger's Journey does a better job on it.

ruuk said:
Soulfly (much better than Cavelera Conspiracy, though if you've dug that far into Max's world you've probably already heard what they do. The first album is by far the best album).

I think their third album (Prophecy) is on par with the first one. Also, check out Nailbomb if it hasn't already been mentioned.

ruuk said:
If perhaps you like thrash then pick up Testament's first few albums, up through Low, and their latest one, Formation of Damnation.

The Gathering is also an incredible album, better than Formation IMO.

ruuk said:
Iced Earth is another good one, though a couple of their albums are hit or miss as they change vocalists and style a bit here and there. Start with The Dark Saga (a Spawn concept album), and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Also check out The Glorious Burden, specifically disk 2, Gettysburg. It's three songs, each about the three days of the battle of Gettysburg. Awesome stuff.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
Yea i felt the same. I saw it in theaters and was kind of disappointed, then saw it again on DVD and fell asleep. The extra disc on Metal: A Headbanger's Journey does a better job on it.

I haven't seen the second disc of A Headbanger's Journey. I'll have to seek that out.

Flynn said:
I haven't seen the second disc of A Headbanger's Journey. I'll have to seek that out.

It's pretty good. It goes in further detail what was touched on in the main movie and is about an hour long.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I liked Until the Light Takes Us, but it just wasn't executed very well. It could've been so much better. Maybe I would've gotten more out of it if all that info was new to me.

Gaspode_T

Prog rock/metal fans, give Pain of Salvation a try. They have always refused to tour in America, and most of their fans are European, but I love them still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHaI0wxrl70

Pain of Salvation - Handful of Nothing Live DVD performance (their CDs are best listened to from start to finish to really appreciate them...)

Gaspode_T

You guys have to come out to Tokyo for some metal concerts! Support Japan with your tourism dollars!

Metal concerts in Japan are crazy and energetic. The lead singers of many bands always call out "let's see that ninja action" or "Show us your samurai stuff" but it's kind of true, there are some wirey mofos out here that don't fall down no matter how hard you push. It's also kind of polite moshing in a way, more hands offered to pick you up and less elbows than elsewhere.

Here were some of my faves from the last year:

Lamb of God Feb 2010 (you can see the crowd unscrewing the gates that are intended to prevent huge mosh pits and passing them up to the crowd, then someone saying "yabai yabai" (oh my god oh my god) at 25 secs in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyP_68hxZx0

Thrash Domination 2010 (Overkill, Exodus, Nevermore, Agent Steel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVh8vuC_RJE

Loud Park 2010 (Too many bands to list)

Engel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BaYutth0qc&hd=1
Turisas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-KTXavGCxA&hd=1 (moshing kicks in about 3:15!)

Gaspode_T said:
Prog rock/metal fans, give Pain of Salvation a try. They have always refused to tour in America, and most of their fans are European, but I love them still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHaI0wxrl70

Pain of Salvation - Handful of Nothing Live DVD performance (their CDs are best listened to from start to finish to really appreciate them...)

Great band until they made Scarsick: the perfectly bitter blend of "wtf is he rapping?" and 'holier than thou' preaching.

hadar

Hardcore gaf, I come to you once more for advice!
Been listening to a lot of Rhapsody (emerald sword saga mostly), Korpiklaani, Blind Guardian (Nightfall in middle-earth, dear fucking god what I've been missing) and I'm itching for more.
I still do not know how to classify this genre, is it progressive metal? Whatever it is it's what I need at the moment :p
Any suggestions on big hits/awesome albums I should know about?

hadar said:
Been listening to a lot of Rhapsody (emerald sword saga mostly), Korpiklaani, Blind Guardian (Nightfall in middle-earth, dear fucking god what I've been missing) and I'm itching for more.
I still do not know how to classify this genre, is it progressive metal? Whatever it is it's what I need at the moment :p
You might like Sonata Arctica, Amorphis, Dream Theater and Ensiferum (the last one is a maybe :p).

DieH@rd

Banned
I just found out that Scott Columbus has died. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFuIc2sRFxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWkDoW3lACA

hadar said:
PHLEASE listen to Luca Turili's standalone project album "Prophet of the Last Eclipse". Brutal SF masterpiece of awesomeness.

Nekrono

hadar said:

It's Power Metal, you might wanna listen up these bands if you like the genre and especially the fantasy within their lyrics and music:

Manowar - Black Wind, Fire and Steel
Manowar - Heart of Steel(I personally love this one, both lyrics and music)
Manowar - Holy War
There are so many great songs from them, let me know if you need more recommendations.

Moving on to other bands:
Hammerfall - Child of the Damned
Angra - Spread Your Fire(Angra is a bit progressive and not so much into fantasy but please listen them, they are fucking good)
Angra - Nova Era
Angra - Carry On

There's plenty more, Gamma Ray, Helloween, etc. For the sake of keeping the post short that's all I'll recommend but there's so many great bands and songs to choose from.

Oh you should also listen to DragonForce, they are a studio only band but have a couple decent songs.

NoRéN

Hydranockz said:
You might like Sonata Arctica, Amorphis, Dream Theater and Ensiferum (the last one is a maybe :p).
You may want to point out the difference in styles they've gone through. Amorphis, that is.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
hadar said:
Try Gamma Ray, following albums : Land of the Free, Somwhere out in Space, Powerplant

Siyou

GAF im looking for some metal, what I listen to is just pretty much; Cradle of Filth, some Nightwish, I checked out Dimmu Borgir and King Diamond... Can't seem to get into them. I want something a bit satanic or at least adventurous. What have you?

NoRéN

Siyou said:
GAF im looking for some metal, what I listen to is just pretty much; Cradle of Filth, some Nightwish, I checked out Dimmu Borgir and King Diamond... Can't seem to get into them. I want something a bit satanic or at least adventurous. What have you?
First thing that popped into my head when you said satanic was Black Metal.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Siyou said:

ewwwwwwwwwww.....

also I recommend this band from Greece:
S E P T I C F L E S H

Adventurous and somewhat satanic.

ACE 1991

Excited to see BTBAM in a month. This would be my fourth time seeing them, but I figured I had to go since they'll be playing through some of, if not all, their new album.

Siyou said:

I don't know if you'll like them or not but "Eparistera Daimones" by Triptykon is the first thing that popped into my head after reading your post. One of the best albums of 2010 imo.

Fxp

I've been listening to all the records of Swedish Witchraft, Graveyard and Android last few weeks, some of it might not be "the metal" but still very enjoyable.

Gaspode_T

Satanic: Behemoth, Satyricon, Septicflesh, Job for a Cowboy...try Arch Enemy maybe?

Power Metal dude: check out Blind Guardian's latest CD if you haven't, it's awesome! Also try a band "Dark Moor" (self titled CD "Dark Moor" is my favorite)...and, um...Stratovarius, Helloween's latest CD, Demons & Wizards (collaboration between Iced Earth and Blind Guardian)

Pain of Salvation - yeah I haven't been digging their recent albums nearly as much...my fave CD is actually "Remedy Lane"

hadar said:

I'll chime in on this one mainly because I can never resist. Everyone else have given great suggestions but here we go.

If you want something in the vein of Rhapsody (over the top power metal), I suggest:

Dark Moor - Hall of Olden Dreams
Heavenly - Dust to Dust
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Power Quest - Master of Illusion
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica (more Finnish synth driven, but they rule anyways)

If you want something more like Blind Guardian (riffy power metal):

Hibria - Defying the Rules
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Helloween - Better than Raw
Grave Digger - Excalibur
Primal Fear - Seven Seals
Angra - Temple of Shadows

Aaaaand Korpiklaani (folk metal):

Eluveitie - Spirit
Metsatoll - Aio
Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line
Wuthering Heights - Far From the Maddening Crowd
Tyr - By the Light of the Northern Star

Also, for the dude that wanted something in the vein of Black metal, but also suggested Nightwish I'll suggest Moonsorrow. Not because they sound like Nightwish at all, but because they are a folk/black metal band with a lot of melody. Awesome.

Is Crack The Skye a good first album for getting into Mastodon? I've heard it's a lot more progressive than their others, and therefore perhaps less accessible.

/metal newbie

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Internet Celebrity said:
Is Crack The Skye a good first album for getting into Mastodon? I've heard it's a lot more progressive than their others, and therefore perhaps less accessible.

/metal newbie

I'd say Blood Mountain is probably the best album to start with as it blends enough of the older, crushier sound with the more prog experimental sound they're blending now. Having said that, Remission is their best album.

Witchfinder General said:
I'd say Blood Mountain is probably the best album to start with as it blends enough of the older, crushier sound with the more prog experimental sound they're blending now. Having said that, Remission is their best album.
Already bought Crack The Skye, but you've semi-convinced me to get Remission and listen to it first.

I've not really listened to much of the 'crushier' metal stuff yet. Only Metallica's older stuff and a bit of this. Though I have heard Slickleg and Blood & Thunder, both of which I really like.

lopaz

Banned
hadar said:

You've discovered the epicness of power metal. You'll need some guidance, usually you'll have one good song for every 30 for each band.

Here's some of the best imo!! :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9h3jRaZyB4 - Helloween, Future World. Also by them: I want out, eagle fly free,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px6qWbFtUZg - Gamma Ray, Gardens of the Sinner. Also by them: Armageddon, New World Order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l8KtdQ7Ek Stratovarius, Hunting High and Low. See also: Eagleheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQKCHMNPk4 Powerquest, Far Away - TUUUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom