• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Phobophile said:
OH MY GOD I JUST CAME IN MY PANTS
Here it is again, but bigger. Kinda NSFW so I'll just link it.

New Skeletonwitch!!
25rcqqv.jpg

New Immortal!!
9fu0p0.jpg

I need all of these. Right now.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
How's the new Skeletonwitch? I dunno, I kinda found the last one boring.

Edit: oh it's only been announced, not released.

NameGenerated

These are just the artworks, I have no idea. But I loved their last album and they were incredible live, especially the vocalist.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
pyrealnova said:
I haven't read every post of this thread, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

the_eternal_return_darkest_hour_album.jpg

I guess they aren't straight-up "metal", but, lord do they fucking thrash. Been listening to them since Hidden Hands... and each album gets better and better. Any other DH fans up in here?

Here!
The new album was disappointing. Shit production, lame riffs (also sounded thin), redundant drumming (the pedal work was annoying the shit out of me thanx to the production value), but still they have some good solos though. There's not one song that I remotely like as of now due to the drumming sound. :/

Zozobra

Fuck, I can't wait for that new Immortal!!!

And that Baroness artwork is super awesome (of course). Is there anywhere one can get full colour prints of Baizley's work? I picked up a print of the Red Album cover when I saw them last summer, and while it's nice, it's only like 3 colours :(.

Verano said:
Here!
The new album was disappointing. Shit production, lame riffs (also sounded thin), redundant drumming (the pedal work was annoying the shit out of me thanx to the production value), but still they have some good solos though. There's not one song that I remotely like as of now due to the drumming sound. :/

Wow, I felt the exact opposite. I've been listening to the album on repeat since it came out. IMO it sounds much better than Deliver us, but I tend to prefer their faster stuff. I also thought the lyrics on Eternal Return were top notch.

Verano said:
Here!

Seconded! There really isn't one song that stands out to me after a few listens. Just seems to be a steady decline since undoing ruin.

Some albums I've been listening to lately:

IronWill.jpg

Grand Magus - Iron Will. I like it.

47585_Dream_Theater_-_Black_Clouds_.jpg

Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I like it a lot. I've never been extremely into Dream Theater but I'm really liking this one.

Odyssey.jpg

Symphony X - The Odyssey. One of my all-time favorites.

candlemass_deathmagicdoom.jpg

Candlemass - Death Magic Doom. I'd never heard of Candlemass until recently. This album is AWESOME. I went back and got their previous one, King of the Grey Islands. I like it but nearly as much as Death Magic Doom. Can anyone recommend anything else that sounds like this?

Pantheon Of The Lesser said:
anyone has good recomendations for Doom Metal similar to Funeral or Mournful Congregation?

Dude I read a lot of message boards and I never see anyone say anything about Funeral. From These Wounds is one of my favorite albums. I'm always looking for something similar to it, but never find it. I got Funeral's As the Light Does the Shadow and don't like it nearly as much as From These Wounds.

I keep seeing the Ahab turn up as a recommendation so I guess I should check it out. When I listen to previews of the songs, they don't sound much like Funeral. It's hard to tell with 30-second clips, though.

Phobophile

Dr. Strangelove said:
The art for the new Baroness is fucking killer. I hope the album is at least half as good as red.
I'm hoping it's twice as good as Red. I loved it, but it made me apprehensive of the potential watered-down, Relapse-ified direction they might be go in.

Fleet of Foot said:
candlemass_deathmagicdoom.jpg

Candlemass - Death Magic Doom. I'd never heard of Candlemass until recently. This album is AWESOME. I went back and got their previous one, King of the Grey Islands. I like it but nearly as much as Death Magic Doom. Can anyone recommend anything else that sounds like this?

their first album of course- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

Pantheon Of The Lesser said:
anyone has good recomendations for Doom Metal similar to Funeral or Mournful Congregation?

Pantheist and Morgion comes to mind. Pantheist is probably the most somber shit i've heard

Random posting following. :D So I just rediscovered Randy Roads' guitar playing from the Ozzy era. Can anyone beat those solos? Man, they are so beyond anything from that time, I can hardly stop listening. Reminds why I'm a fan of classic metal. I like new stuff, too but the heart and soul of the music from the 70s/80s will never be replaced/topped for me. If there's new stuff like this I'm open to recommendations. ;)
My favourite moments:
Over the Mountain solo
Mr Crowley solo
Believer solo
Revelation solo
So beautiful. <3 I guess everyone in here knows them but still..there's the chance some of you don't. :D
Another band with great solos was UFO during the Michael Schenker era:
Lights out
Let it roll
A bit underrated classic band, imo.

^^^ LOVED the Randy Rhaods era Ozzy. Fucking amazing. I just hate Ozzy so much. Jake E Lee was a great replacement too.

early King Diamond (especially Andy LaRoque era) is very similar to Rhoads style of riffing/solos.

King Diamond- Arrival

Giant Robot said:
^^^ LOVED the Randy Rhaods era Ozzy. Fucking amazing. I just hate Ozzy so much. Jake E Lee was a great replacement too.

early King Diamond (especially Andy LaRoque era) is very similar to Rhoads style of riffing/solos.

King Diamond- Arrival
Listening right now...King Diamond is a band I pretty much ignored until now, takes a bit to get used to this voice. ;) But yeah, the guitar sounds good. I love pre 1980 Ozzy but I guess you need to get used to him as well, yep.

Fleet of Foot said:
Dude I read a lot of message boards and I never see anyone say anything about Funeral. From These Wounds is one of my favorite albums. I'm always looking for something similar to it, but never find it. I got Funeral's As the Light Does the Shadow and don't like it nearly as much as From These Wounds.

I keep seeing the Ahab turn up as a recommendation so I guess I should check it out. When I listen to previews of the songs, they don't sound much like Funeral. It's hard to tell with 30-second clips, though.

i own Tragedies, i think it was their first album. it's, bar none, the most depressing shit i've ever heard, besides maybe Coldworld.

corpserot

NameGenerated said:
Behemoth has all of Evangelion streaming here. And it's fucking awesome.
Yeah, I am really digging it. Ordered the autographed CD from the metalblade store, can't wait to listen to a lossless copy of it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mastodon is touring this fall with Converge, High on Fire, and DETHKLOK — holy shit. Just saw Mastodon a few months ago, but it's been years since I've seen Converge and High on Fire. Gotta go to this for sure.

Dates here

Flynn

vatstep said:
Mastodon is touring this fall with Converge, High on Fire, and DETHKLOK — holy shit. Just saw Mastodon a few months ago, but it's been years since I've seen Converge and High on Fire. Gotta go to this for sure.

Also Death Album II comes out 9.9.9 -- eat that The Beatles: Rock Band

Ceres

Banned
vatstep said:

Son of a bitch. It's actually coming to my area (few shows ever do) but of course is the same weekend we'll be in Austin, Texas.

EzLink

Banned
vatstep said:

Is there a list of dates and locations? I checked the Mastodon site but didn't see anything there

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
EzLink said:
Is there a list of dates and locations? I checked the Mastodon site but didn't see anything there
Edited my original post; should've put them in there initially.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
insomn_cd.jpg

Fans of melodic death metal need to check out Insomnium's latest, "Across the Dark". It's fan-fucking-tastic.

Also want to echo my giddiness over a new Immortal album. Sons of Northern Darkness remains one of my favorite albums of all time.

NameGenerated

vatstep said:

Dates here
Fuuuuuuuuck, closest to me is DC, which is still quite a long drive. Lame.

G-Fex

Phobophile said:
Definitely metal. If you like Scar Symmetry, check out Mercenary. Similar style of modern melodic death (melo-death) and power metal but I think these guys blow Scar Symmetry out of the water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnXOVDWS6-E

They definitely do. It took me a while but I finally realized the lead singer of Scar Symmetry's singing voice kinda sucks. Mercenary rocks though.

Poigea

Diseased Yak said:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/insomn_cd.jpg

Fans of melodic death metal need to check out Insomnium's latest, "Across the Dark". It's fan-fucking-tastic.

Also want to echo my giddiness over a new Immortal album. Sons of Northern Darkness remains one of my favorite albums of all time.

I LOVE Insomnium. Everything I have heard from the new CD sounds great, can't wait to hear it all.

blahness

corpserot

tk1.jpg

Really dig this album. Chris Barnes does vocals, and honestly I like his work on this album than any of the stuff he has done with six feet under.

NameGenerated

G-Fex said:
I was listening to some samples of Immortal off Itunes, I really like what I hear.
If you like more traditional black metal (early Darkthrone, early Burzum) Pure Holocaust is a good start, whereas At The Heart Of Winter and Sons Of Northern Darkness have more thrash influence. They are all great though. Super excited for their new album coming up.

Is Satyricon a band worth getting into/seeing live?

Phobophile said:
a1476

I'm so gonna be there. This will make my 3rd Alehorn in a row.

good to see you there again man, my friend and I have made all four of them. I even lucked out the summer before the first one in 2005 and was in Chicago for business when Slough Feg and Bible were at the Double Door for the "Ode to Sonic Brigandage" tour.

As long as those two bands are on the bill I imagine ill be making the trip out there from Detroit.

Phobophile

Lakedaimon said:
good to see you there again man, my friend and I have made all four of them. I even lucked out the summer before the first one in 2005 and was in Chicago for business when Slough Feg and Bible were at the Double Door for the "Ode to Sonic Brigandage" tour.

As long as those two bands are on the bill I imagine ill be making the trip out there from Detroit.
I just really hated how it was on a fucking Wednesday. And the Cobra Lounge is really fucking small. But I don't think they were filling Double Door anywhere near to capacity, so whatever. Can't complain about a free show too much.

EzLink

Banned
Oh fuck, I just started getting into Metalocalypse (TV show), and it fucking rules. Anybody that loves metal (everyone in this thread) will be able to appreciate the satirical humor of the death metal culture :lol

Also I'm seeing Dethklok in concert, and I can't wait. The Dethalbum is fucking hilarious

Phobophile

EzLink said:
Oh fuck, I just started getting into Metalocalypse (TV show), and it fucking rules. Anybody that loves metal (everyone in this thread) will be able to appreciate the satirical humor of the death metal culture :lol

Also I'm seeing Dethklok in concert, and I can't wait. The Dethalbum is fucking hilarious
Fuck that show sounds awesome. I gotta check it out.

Phobophile said:
I just really hated how it was on a fucking Wednesday. And the Cobra Lounge is really fucking small. But I don't think they were filling Double Door anywhere near to capacity, so whatever. Can't complain about a free show too much.

Well there was good and bad - It was a handy excuse to take a whole week off work instead of just friday and monday, and bus fare and hotel was cheaper for me. People kept asking us if we were in town to see Lollapalooza haha. Yeah that venue wasnt exactly roomy, but it was a pretty nice overall. Way way nicer than the places im used to seeing metal shows at (i.e. Harpo's in Detroit) I especially liked the sign out back that says something like "parking for SLAYER only" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom