• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zozobra

This album has been in my regular rotation for a while now and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd share:

2qnw2o3.jpg

Orcustus - S/T

Damn, is this ever some filthy, thrashy black metal. I don't know if "catchy" is the proper word to use for this album, but I often find myself humming a lot of the riffs at work. This album features both Infernus and Tormentor (now formerly, I believe) of Gorgoroth.

Below is one of my favorite tracks off the album - 'Of Sophistry, Obsession and Paranoia', check it out, hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HEiRiOYJM

Ravager61

Dr. Strangelove said:
Anyone here digging the Eagle Twin album "The Unkindness of Crows?" Pretty evil shit. They're on tour with SunnO))) right now, making it one of the must-see shows of the year. Fuuuuck.

I saw them open for Sunn0))) and was really impressed. They won over most other people in the crowd too it seemed.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr. Strangelove said:
Anyone here digging the Eagle Twin album "The Unkindness of Crows?" Pretty evil shit. They're on tour with SunnO))) right now, making it one of the must-see shows of the year. Fuuuuck.

Links:
http://www.southernlord.com/band_EAG.php
http://www.myspace.com/eagletwin
Didn't realize Sunn O))) released east coast dates. Not only are they not coming to Boston, but they're playing fucking AS220 in Providence. That place only holds like 200 people (ridiculous for this show) and doesn't sell tickets ahead of time — I'd love to see them on this tour (and see Eagle Twin), but I'm not dealing with that shit.

MDSLKTR

Diseased Yak said:
insomn_cd.jpg

Fans of melodic death metal need to check out Insomnium's latest, "Across the Dark". It's fan-fucking-tastic.

Oh god yes! I remember seeing them live when they were on tour with katatonia and swallow the sun back in 2007. Fell in love with them ever since. Speaking of katatonia:

katat_night.jpg

October 19. Can't wait

Ceres

Banned
For anyone in the Atlanta area, Progpower now has individual days for sale.

Friday
Crimson Glory
Royal Hunt
Sabaton
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Mindflow
Cage

Saturday
Friday:
Fates Warning
Brainstorm
Pagan’s Mind
Orphaned Land
Circus Maximus

There's also the Thursday showcase with Future's End, Susprye, Enchant, & Primal Fear

2lopjo.jpg

Blood Tsunami
cover.jpg

Awesome Death/thrash band from Sweden. They have a new album out too, called Grand Feast for Vultures. I prefer this one however.

Some of my favourites:

Death Angel's come-back album is solid from start to finish.

15914.jpg

Their last album, Killing Season, is still solid but can't impress me like Art of Dying did.
The older albums like Act III should also get some love, if you're a fan of the old-scholl bay-area trash movement.

Darkane's Expanding Senses... Amazing sound and power,

Darkane+-+Expanding+Senses.jpg

Layers of Lies is also a great album.

About everything Exodus is great,
Shovel Headed Kill Machine is amazing,
Their latest album: the atracity exhibition: Exhibit A was in my opinion one of the best albums of 2007/2008

exodus.jpg

One of the greatest Folk Metal albums ever created: Jacktens Tid by FinnTroll
You can't help but feeling great when listening to this album.

product365618_big.jpg

Ceres

Banned
No bump for the announcement that Gus G is the new guitarist for Ozzy?
It's both a blessing and a curse. Exposure for his band Firewind but he's going to get crushed in Sharon's stranglehold on Ozzy and Ozzfest.

Zozobra

I'm hurtin' for some new black metal. What are some real stand-out BM albums that have been released recently (ie. the past 6 months)? I've got Krallice and the new WitTR

Flynn

Zozobra said:
I'm hurtin' for some new black metal. What are some real stand-out BM albums that have been released recently (ie. the past 6 months)? I've got Krallice and the new WitTR

Do you know Withered from Atlanta? They're shaping up to be one of the next big things in USBM.

vatstep said:
Mastodon is touring this fall with Converge, High on Fire, and DETHKLOK — holy shit. Just saw Mastodon a few months ago, but it's been years since I've seen Converge and High on Fire. Gotta go to this for sure.

Dates here

I'm going to the shows in Boston and Durham for sure. Have you heard Dark Horse yet? It is AWESOME!

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new-converge-dark-horse_086071.html

I cannot wait for their new CD, it sounds epic as hell.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zozobra said:
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue with the Stars
Naxzul - Iconoclast (good symphonic BM)
Absu - Absu
Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
Dreams of the Drowned - Thanatotropic Principle (black metal with heavy hardcore and post-rock elements)

Slow year for black metal. Arckanum and the new BAN are the best so far this year.

Flynn

Zozobra said:
I've got 'Folie Circulaire' and thoroughly enjoy it. Do they have a new one coming out? MySpace is blocked here at work.

That's their latest. Though there is an older record.

Hellcrow

vatstep said:
Mastodon is touring this fall with Converge, High on Fire, and DETHKLOK — holy shit. Just saw Mastodon a few months ago, but it's been years since I've seen Converge and High on Fire. Gotta go to this for sure.

Dates here

Speaking of Converge. They recently released a new song for free download called Dark Horse. Can be found here.

Zozobra said:

<code> - Resplendent Grotesque
Shining - VI - Klagopsalmer
Fen - The Malediction Fields

Diseased Yak said:
insomn_cd.jpg

Fans of melodic death metal need to check out Insomnium's latest, "Across the Dark". It's fan-fucking-tastic.
Do they sound anything like Dethklok? I like their sound but detest every other death metal band. Does "melodic" make a big difference?

Phobophile

ChoklitReign said:
Do they sound anything like Dethklok? I like their sound but detest every other death metal band. Does "melodic" make a big difference?
Melodic death metal &#8800; death metal that is melodic

Melo-death after 1995 is pretty much closer to power metal in structure than death metal.

EzLink

Banned
Just got my Mastodon/Dethklok ticket for the St. Louis show :D

Also went to the Dream Theater/Zappa Plays Zappa concert on Sunday (I know that's more prog, but it was still kickass)

I've also been getting into Eluveitie recently too. Apparently they are touring with Alestorm this fall (whom I saw in March with Tyr), so Imma be going to that show too. Then of course my Metallica/Gojira concert next month :D

Whoever recommended paradise lost a few posts up, kudos. Checked out one of their songs and really liked their style. Now recommend me an album!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Gonna go see 3 Inches Of Blood and Mantic Ritual in Oct.

Super excited for Mantic Ritual.

And the Fate Of Norns is the worst AA album.

Phobophile

NameGenerated said:
Gonna go see 3 Inches Of Blood and Mantic Ritual in Oct.

Super excited for Mantic Ritual.

And the Fate Of Norns is the worst AA album.
Mantic Ritual are badass live. Hope to catch them in Chicago again in December.

Esch

Banned
You know, GAF metal threads aren't really what I expected. I thought there would be more of an ANUS-esque userbase here, but I guess not.

Phobophile

EschatonDX said:
You know, GAF metal threads aren't really what I expected. I thought there would be more of an ANUS-esque userbase here, but I guess not.
Well it's because some of us have good taste and we're not dicks to those who don't and the people with poor taste here aren't dicks about it.

Esch

Banned
Phobophile said:
Well it's because some of us have good taste and we're not dicks to those who don't and the people with poor taste here aren't dicks about it.

I know! But it's just kinda fucked up to see like, people talking about Ulcerate and Darkest Hour in the same thread. I'm accustomed to metal communities being pretty intolerant of "falses". This thread feels like a tinderbox for flames, i'm surprised that it's so civil.

NameGenerated

Zozobra said:
This album has been in my regular rotation for a while now and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd share:

2qnw2o3.jpg

Orcustus - S/T

Damn, is this ever some filthy, thrashy black metal. I don't know if "catchy" is the proper word to use for this album, but I often find myself humming a lot of the riffs at work. This album features both Infernus and Tormentor (now formerly, I believe) of Gorgoroth.

Below is one of my favorite tracks off the album - 'Of Sophistry, Obsession and Paranoia', check it out, hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HEiRiOYJM
I missed this earlier, but it's really fucking awesome. I ordered their CD. :lol

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
EschatonDX said:
I know! But it's just kinda fucked up to see like, people talking about Ulcerate and Darkest Hour in the same thread. I'm accustomed to metal communities being pretty intolerant of "falses". This thread feels like a tinderbox for flames, i'm surprised that it's so civil.
We embrace the TRVE and the untrve here at Metal-GAF.

Ceres

Banned
EschatonDX said:

It's actually probably one of the more civil topics in all of Gaf even. I just see no reason to get into a tizzy because someone likes a certain band that I don't. We're a minority group of music listeners into (mostly) underground music so fighting amongst ourselves is rather pointless. There's bands in all kinds of metal sub-genres that I like even if as a whole I find the sub-genre to be crap. And I know that there's a lot of bands I like that most here wouldn't like. I'm sure there's plenty here who wouldn't be able to stand something like Diablo Swing Orchestra whilst I love them.

In the end it just doesn't matter as long as we all agree Dragonforce is a crappy one trick pony. :lol

Flynn

Phobophile said:

This is why I hate the Rock Band thread. That and the people there who think they have good taste don't.

Phobophile

Flynn said:
This is why I hate the Rock Band thread. That and the people there who think they have good taste don't.
Pretty most of the music threads on GAF blow, especially ones about mainstream music. They invariably end up being mudslinging threads about which shitty, trite, watered-down mainstream act is slightly less shitty than the other. Indie GAF's usually worse.

NameGenerated

The Rock Band thread is all in good fun, I don't think anyone's gotten seriously mad at anything in that thread. It's my GAF home. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom