• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAGIC KINGDOM! yes, it's power metal. they have 3 albums but i've never heard the first so i can only recommend the other 2.

61HB9fNdWeL.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv4Y8o7Xfow (EXCELLENT guitar work on this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MngO9fCe6fo

1289329684_500-x-500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQxOvg4Jw5A (ultra catchy chorus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ho5vSjvyx8

Going to Hellfest + Graspop next year on my eurotrip

Line up looks awesome. Especially since 1/2 of these bands never tour Australia

Hellfest-2014-Lineup-2-605x730.jpg

700x300x1450197_10152456248142926_1732975524_n-700x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jzqghGkSAR.jpg

Destroyerr 666, Urfaust, Solstafir, Tsjuder, Electric Wizard, Cynic, Nails, Enslaved, Carcass, fucking Emperor, Metal Church, WASP, and so many more. Such a good line up

Anyone else going?

Hopefully going to go to Hellfest again for sure, have to see if they still have tickets around the end of January. Hellfest this year was amazing, truly one of the best experiences of my life.

Anybody else have your favorite Metal songs based on Literature? It's cool to realize that so many Metal bands take inspiration from such.

I mean, To Tame a Land! Nightfall In Middle-Earth!

First thing that came to mind.

Beat me to it! Definitely one of the first that came to my mind, heh. I like the way Guardian in general uses the fantasy genre, especially Tolkien in general. Can't forget Iron Maiden in general!

Also, I do rather like Metallica's For Whom The Bells Toll, a lot.

269475.jpg

the entire album is based around Edgar Allan Poe works, sung in spanish.

Really? Well, that's pretty cool. Edgar Allan Poe is an amazing poet, and his short stories, at least his best, are amazing as well. I'm going to have to check this one out right now.

As much as I like Dune, I still find it rather crappy that Frank Herbert almost sued Iron Maiden.

ACE 1991

I've been really into Liturgy and Deafheaven recently. While I'm some of you guys may hate these bands as black metal purists, it's some of the most refreshing metal I've heard in a long time. Are there other bands in the same vein worth checking out?

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

It seems like we have a pattern with Maiden and awesome literature reworkings! I'm listening to Flight of Icarus right now.

I wonder what my Victorian English Professor would have thought about it. He was not amused with Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.

FACE

Banned
It seems like we have a pattern with Maiden and awesome literature reworkings.

I wonder what my Victorian English Professor would of thought about it. He was not amused with Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.

The first thing he would do would be to correct this, it's "would've" or "would have".

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Agalloch began recording their next LP today. :D

SOME-MIST

Lol. Apparently both of us should give up our pursuit of being a stand up.

I was basically saying DEP fans don't know music :p

But I'm actually a DEP fan. Well... at least Under The Running Board, Calculating Infinity, and Miss Machine. To be fair.. I haven't invested much time into any of their new cds. One and done spins. Losing Chris Pennie rubbed me the wrong way.

I was basically saying DEP fans don't know music :p

But I'm actually a DEP fan. Well... at least Under The Running Board, Calculating Infinity, and Miss Machine. To be fair.. I haven't invested much time into any of their new cds. One and done spins. Losing Chris Pennie rubbed me the wrong way.

But you like DEP. So you obviously cant be trusted.

Anybody else have your favorite Metal songs based on Literature? It's cool to realize that so many Metal bands take inspiration from such.

I mean, To Tame a Land! Nightfall In Middle-Earth!

Sabbat - Dreamweaver, the entire album. Based on "The Way Of The Wyrd"

The fucking riffs, lyrics, and vocals man...

your point ? triggers shouldnt really affect someones skill

If you're not hitting your notes consistently (loud or soft strokes) and need triggers to compensate for that, I would say that it's affecting potential skill. A lot of triggered drums are also highly overused or mis-used which can lead to the lifeless typewriter syndrome, belch. Unless I'm wrong about drum triggers please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom