• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Part the Second was lousy. It's a meandering cocktease of an album; you're thinking that you're going to get the bombastic metal in Psychobells or at the very least something compared to Bath, but you're left anything but satiated, having listened to a release not deserving to be insulted enough to be considered and compared to Kayo Dot but not certainly metal and not as moving as it should have been.

El_Victor said:
I'm going to see Candlemass (with Angelwitch and Trouble) next month, the fat monk will be missed but Rob Lowe is doing a great job too.

Holy fuck, i'd love to see that line-up! You lucky bastard :D

EzLink

Banned
Hell yeah, Eluveitie and Alestorm are touring the USA this fall. I saw Alestorm with Tyr back in March, it was a kickass show. I absolutely fucking LOVE Eluveitie, so this show might kick even more ass. Except they are also with Belphegor (whose most recent album is entitled "Bondage Goat Zombie", to give you who haven't heard of them an idea of their quality of music) so that will suck, but other than that I am very looking forward to it

http://www.eluveitie.ch/viewflyer.php?flyer=263

^^^
Dates for anyone interested

DrM said:
Yeah, this is even better than Call of the Wintermoon
:lol
Woah. :lol In this one at least the song is hilariously bad as well. :D
(Edit: ...imo of course but I don't like black metal anyway, at least none I've heard so far...I don't know what bands are supposed to be great in the genre ..recommendations are always welcome ;) )

Ceres

Banned
My last.fm is kind of weird. I listen to music in my car and recently on the ipod (that is now used in the car) in general far more often than on my computers so it's never very indicative of what I've been listening to. I did just run a scrobbler for Rockbox so it's a little more accurate from the last 3 months.
http://www.last.fm/user/Passiontide

And yes, I was really listening to a lot of Lady Gaga for a bit although it's boosted higher than it should be by being the only one among my friends that has the entire CD on their iPod. Something like Mastodon just wouldn't go over well with most of them.

235, what's that? Google is tricking me on this one.

Ceres said:
My last.fm is kind of weird. I listen to music in my car and recently on the ipod (that is now used in the car) in general far more often than on my computers so it's never very indicative of what I've been listening to.
I mostly listen to my CDs so it's almost the same here.
Last.fm..I've got an account there but it's sort of private. ;) As a community "Metal-Last.fm" can be a place of stupid hate and the worst pretentious trolls ever. It's like bad gaming forums with "fanboy" wars but even worse sometimes. Sort of annoying but morbidly interesting at the same time. :D I'm very very glad they are not representative of real metal (or music) fans outside of the internet, though. I showed my friends some of the usergroups on the site and they burst out in laughter. :lol Are there even active mods there?

Esch

Banned
235 is short for the GameFAQs metal boards. A pretty interesting little community with equal parts haters and fans. It's something that's expanded onto lastfm and RYM as well as a few other metal sites.

Phobophile

NameGenerated said:
Forgive me, but 235 is what?
If you don't know, then you're better off not knowing. I'm not shitting you.

Edit: well my 3 min delay kinda ruined things.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just bought my ticket to see GWAR (and Lamb of God) on Oct. 7th. Fucking GWAR!!

My dream will finally come true, and after I can go lie upon a marble altar and let my spirit drift off to the void where the Ageless Ones dwell.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
They are coming here with Lamb Of God and Job For A Cowboy. Both of whom I hate, plus I'll be seeing LoG with Metallica. I might see GWAR in Richmond though (with The Red Chord), will probably be crazy there. I don't know anyone else who'd want to go though.

xXCHAOSXx

Phobophile said:
Candlemass - "Bewitched"

Fucking amazing song. Fucking LOL music video.

cae3e
I'd like to thank you for this post I somehow went 33 years without hearing these guys but I'm a fan now. love messiah vocals.

Phobophile

xXCHAOSXx said:
I'd like to thank you for this post I somehow went 33 years without hearing these guys but I'm a fan now. love messiah vocals.
I wish they had Messiah on Epicus. That was the first Candlemass album I heard and it turned me off of them (and doom metal) for a good amount of time.

Phobophile

xXCHAOSXx said:
Well I would say "Nightfall" would be a good place to start.
Might as well the new one, Death Magic Doom, after that. The new singer, Robert Lowe, isn't as epic as Messiah but he's surprisingly damn good and often bands that old don't release good, stand-out albums anymore but this one's excellent.

NameGenerated said:
They are coming here with Lamb Of God and Job For A Cowboy. Both of whom I hate, plus I'll be seeing LoG with Metallica. I might see GWAR in Richmond though (with The Red Chord), will probably be crazy there. I don't know anyone else who'd want to go though.

I'm going to see that show with LoG and JfaC on the 18th of October. We'll see how it goes. I'm very interested to see what GWAR will be like live.

Phobophile said:
Might as well the new one, Death Magic Doom, after that. The new singer, Robert Lowe, isn't as epic as Messiah but he's surprisingly damn good and often bands that old don't release good, stand-out albums anymore but this one's excellent.

Death Magic Doom is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Q8D3vil

first post in this thread
im new to metal ( been 1 year since i began listening to metal )
and i can say its the thing i want to listen to the rest of my life

i like thrash , power , progresive and of course the traditional heavy metal

but it seems that i cant get into death metal
is it that hard to get into ?
i tried to listening to opeth and they got some amazing stuff and good mixing between prog and death but i cant get into the death stuff

Q8D3vil said:

i tried to listening to opeth and they got some amazing stuff and good mixing between prog and death but i cant get into the death stuff
Haha, same here. I really like some of the acoustic Opeth stuff, like that harvest song for example. I listen to metal since I was 10 or so but most death metal and especially black metal is not my cup of tea at all. But you said you are new to metal so there's no need to force anything because there's sooo much other good stuff out there. What bands do you like so far?

Ceres

Banned
Q8D3vil said:

Opeth took me a few years. But death metal is not for everyone. I know plenty of people who get turned off the moment there's some cookie monster vocals. However, if you haven't, check out their Damnation album. It's pretty much just the lighter side of their music.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Phobophile said:
A Horse Called Golgotha is too Baroque-sounding. It's kinda cheesy. :\

Oh god, the vocals kicked in. :(
Yeah. I'm pretty close to abandoning hope. Maybe I'll end up being pleasantly surprised, but my growing suspicion is that this will be a disappointing album with some stunning cover art. :(

Ceres said:
Opeth took me a few years. But death metal is not for everyone. I know plenty of people who get turned off the moment there's some cookie monster vocals. However, if you haven't, check out their Damnation album. It's pretty much just the lighter side of their music.
Yep, the cookie monster strikes back everytime. The problem I have with Opeth is that the lead singer looks totally friendly and likeable. Like some down to earth guy you want to talk with in a metal club. Also he has a pretty good singing voice so his grunts feel forced to me. They would make a great rock/prog band. As you said, the Damnation album should be worth a listen for people who can't stand the death parts. I listen to some Death (the band) from time to time but mostly it's the songs with little singing but there are some cool songs. Chuck made some great interviews, though. He himself didn't really like deathmetal vocals, form what I read. He comes over as a very open, tolerant and clever guy (or came :/).

Ceres

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
Yeah. I'm pretty close to abandoning hope. Maybe I'll end up being pleasantly surprised, but my growing suspicion is that this will be a disappointing album with some stunning cover art. :(

With the mention of vocals, I thought I might actually like it since I don't like the vocals in Baroness to begin with. Nope. :lol

Zozobra

Ceres said:
However, if you haven't, check out their Damnation album.

Seconded. Opeth is probably one of my favorite bands and this was the album that got me into them. Who knows, maybe a familiarity with Damnation will encourage you to get into their heavier stuff. I can definitely see why Åkerfeldt's guttural vocals can turn people off this band, but they're really missing out imo!

Q8D3vil

Haha, same here. I really like some of the acoustic Opeth stuff, like that harvest song for example. I listen to metal since I was 10 or so but most death metal and especially black metal is not my cup of tea at all. But you said you are new to metal so there's no need to force anything because there's sooo much other good stuff out there. What bands do you like so far?

i listened to damnation and i like it but not that much

i like iron maiden , megadeth , metallica , dream theater , blind guardian , pain of salvation , kamelot , evergrey , demons and wizards , iced earth , symphony x and galneryus

currently listening to some king diamond ( puppet master album , very good stuff ) , judas priest ( pain killer album , very good stuff too )

i like some stuff that's between hard rock and metal like black sabbath ( paranoid is a fucking masterpiece ) , dio ( holy freaking diver ) , russel allen and jorn lande ( the battle and the revenge ) and bruce dickinson albums

and i fucking love ayreon albums ( especialy 01011001 )

my favourite bands are iron maiden and blind guardian ( readed the sillmarilion just for nightfall at middle earth )

thats whats i liked from what i listened to

Q8D3vil said:

i like iron maiden , megadeth , metallica , dream theater , blind guardian , pain of salvation , kamelot , evergrey , demons and wizards , iced earth , symphony x and galneryus
I can recommend Helloween. Try their most popular albums for a start: "keeper of the seven keys" part I and II.
I want out should be the most well known song.
If you like Metallica and Megadeth try the Cowboys from Hell album by Pantera. Different but very powerful and my favourite metal album of the 90s.
Shattered.

i like some stuff that's between hard rock and metal like black sabbath ( paranoid is a fucking masterpiece ) , dio ( holy freaking diver ) , russel allen and jorn lande ( the battle and the revenge ) and bruce dickinson albums.
If you think Paranoid is a masterpiece, which it is, you must listen to Master of Reality (their heaviest by far) and Vol.4! If you like Dio you also have to try the Sabbath albums with him as a singer (Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules).
Regarding hard rock there's a very cool 70s band called UFO.
Doctor Doctor.
Let it Roll.

Hope you like some of that.

Sandman42

Q8D3vil said:

currently listening to some king diamond ( puppet master album , very good stuff ) , judas priest ( pain killer album , very good stuff too )

i like some stuff that's between hard rock and metal like black sabbath ( paranoid is a fucking masterpiece ) , dio ( holy freaking diver ) , russel allen and jorn lande ( the battle and the revenge ) and bruce dickinson albums

and i fucking love ayreon albums ( especialy 01011001 )

my favourite bands are iron maiden and blind guardian ( readed the sillmarilion just for nightfall at middle earth )

thats whats i liked from what i listened to

Check out these bands:

Lost Horizon (power)
Winds (prog)
Seventh Wonder (prog)
Racer X (heavy)
Cynic (prog)
Slough Feg (heavy)
Time Requiem (prog)
Masterplan (prog)
To-Mera (prog)
Tyr (prog)
Circus Maximus (prog)
Solstafir (prog)
Overkill (thrash)
Hammers of Misfortune (prog)
Avantasia (prog)
Wuthering Heights (prog)
Manilla Road (heavy)

Q8D3vil

DieNgamers said:
I can recommend Helloween. Try their most popular albums for a start: "keeper of the seven keys" part I and II.
I want out should be the most well known song.
If you like Metallica and Megadeth try the Cowboys from Hell album by Pantera. Different but very powerful and my favourite metal album of the 90s.
Shattered.

If you think Paranoid is a masterpiece, which it is, you must listen to Master of Reality (their heaviest by far) and Vol.4! If you like Dio you also have to try the Sabbath albums with him as a singer (Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules).
Regarding hard rock there's a very cool 70s band called UFO.
Doctor Doctor.
Let it Roll.

Hope you like some of that.

i want out is my favourite helloween song
kiske voice and Kai Hansen guitar work are amazing in keeper of the seven keys

i listened to some tracks in black sabbath dio era and there were very good but i didnt have the chance to listen to the full album

i heard about ufo but didnt have the chance to listen to them

Lost Horizon (power)
Winds (prog)
Seventh Wonder (prog)
Racer X (heavy)
Cynic (prog)
Slough Feg (heavy)
Time Requiem (prog)
Masterplan (prog)
To-Mera (prog)
Tyr (prog)
Circus Maximus (prog)
Solstafir (prog)
Overkill (thrash)
Hammers of Misfortune (prog)
Avantasia (prog)
Wuthering Heights (prog)
Manilla Road (heavy)

i listened to some of these bands ( avantasia , lost horizon and racer x )
i'll try and listen to the bands when i finish what im listening right now

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
You people who don't like the new Baroness tracks are obviously on crack.
Too much Euro power metal and cheese. Not enough sludge. Maybe it'll grow on me. Maybe it'll be the one bad track on a good album.

Yeah, that new song didn't sound too hot :/

I am thinking of getting a Deströyer 666 album, I can get Phoenix Rising or Cold Steel. Which one would you guys recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom