• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

Fireblend said:
6964e2270ae838161b3a8b5xr6.jpg

Pirate power metal = awesome :lol

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm <-- have a taste
Heh, Alestorm is basically just power metal with a pirate theme, but it's just so much fun to listen to. I don't give a shit how good it is or not!

So I've been listening to a lot of:
alcest.jpg

I'm sure everyone's listened to it already, but I'm trying to find other bands that are like this? Reminds me of a metal sigur ros, beautiful

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
MeshuggahMan said:
So I've been listening to a lot of:
alcest.jpg

I'm sure everyone's listened to it already, but I'm trying to find other bands that are like this? Reminds me of a metal sigur ros, beautiful

Mono is very good but they're just post-rock and you've probably already heard them. Maybe Pelican? They're well loved.

YYZ

Power metal fans, do you guys like Miles Beyond?

And Alestorm, that is quite the awesome name :lol

They sound alright to me, not bad. The lyrics are definitely enjoyable.

QVT said:
Mono is very good but they're just post-rock and you've probably already heard them. Maybe Pelican? They're well loved.

Yea I've heard both.. and love both.. but there's just something so different about alcest I can't really describe it.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
MeshuggahMan said:
Yea I've heard both.. and love both.. but there's just something so different about alcest I can't really describe it.

Might as well just listen to some straight-up shoegaze. Try Neige's other project, Amesoeurs. It's black metal and post-punk instead of black metal and shoegaze.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Alestorm seems pretty cool but their songs are really short, aside from "Capt. Morgan's Revenge", for a power metal band at least.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Phobophile said:
Might as well just listen to some straight-up shoegaze. Try Neige's other project, Amesoeurs. It's black metal and post-punk instead of black metal and shoegaze.

Shoegaze is the coolest word in the English language.

Ravager61

MeshuggahMan said:

Have you listend to Agalloch at all? Ashes Against the Grain has a similar feel to Alcest I think. Also, their new release, The White EP, is more of an acoustic album but still has a similar melancholy vibe to Alcest.

Shadrock

Wow I have yet to see this band mentioned, where the hell is Gojira?!

frommarstosiriussd1.png

Oh and the new Meshuggah album is amazing you guys should really find a way to listen to obZen :D

Ravager61 said:
Have you listend to Agalloch at all? Ashes Against the Grain has a similar feel to Alcest I think. Also, their new release, The White EP, is more of an acoustic album but still has a similar melancholy vibe to Alcest.

You know that's a band I've always wanted to check out but never gotten around to. Going through a quick run of their myspace page it seems to have the same sound as alcest, although a bit darker at certain moments. I'll definately look further into them though

Ravager61

MeshuggahMan said:
You know that's a band I've always wanted to check out but never gotten around to. Going through a quick run of their myspace page it seems to have the same sound as alcest, although a bit darker at certain moments. I'll definately look further into them though

The Mantle is my favorite album from them but its much darker and more depressing than Alcest's music. Ashes Against the Grain is probably the album that is most similar to Alcest.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Agalloch is way darker. I was going to recommend them but assumed you had heard them and gotten into alcest because of them(like me)

I've been combing through this thread for the last couple of days and I gotta say this turned out to be one of the best "recommendation" threads I've seen on GAF by far. I used to be a huge metalhead back in the day so this is very, very (re-)educational.

So holy shit at this Devin Townsend guy! I vaguely remember him singing on that Steve Vai album, but man what a career this guy's carved out for himself! The dude is like some mad genius or something. I just picked up SYL - The New Black and Ziltoid. Any other recommendations? I hear Ocean Machine is pretty amazing too.

Phobophile

VOMIT said:
Torche's Meanderthal (what a stupid name) is gonna be ace.

Awesome +10

I saw them about 2 years ago at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago. They were fucking quality. Though the were way too heavy for the venue. They can't mix anything with that much bass for shit.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
teruterubozu said:
I've been combing through this thread for the last couple of days and I gotta say this turned out to be one of the best "recommendation" threads I've seen on GAF by far. I used to be a huge metalhead back in the day so this is very, very (re-)educational.

So holy shit at this Devin Townsend guy! I vaguely remember him singing on that Steve Vai album, but man what a career this guy's carved out for himself! The dude is like some mad genius or something. I just picked up SYL - The New Black and Ziltoid. Any other recommendations? I hear Ocean Machine is pretty amazing too.

Ocean Machine is my favorite album by the man.

Terria is his best. Ocean Machine and Synchestra are excellent as well.

Actually, pick up all of his albums; they're all awesome in their own way

Shadrock said:
Wow I have yet to see this band mentioned, where the hell is Gojira?!

Oh and the new Meshuggah album is amazing you guys should really find a way to listen to obZen :D

My interest was perked by the awesome cover art so I went and got their album. Pretty fucking ace.

I'm a big fan of "World to Come" and "The Heaviest Matter in the Universe"
Really good album.

Ravager61

At the Gates, Darkest Hour, and Municipal Waste are touring the US this summer. I dont care much for Darkest Hour but At the Gates and Municipal Waste are gonna be fucking awesome.

July 10 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
July 11 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
July 12 - Montreal, QC - Le Medley
July 13 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
July 14 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
July 15 - Sauget, IL Pop's
July 17 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
July 18 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
July 21 - Denver, CO - Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
July 23 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
July 24 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
July 25 - San Francisco, CA- The Fillmore
July 26 - Pomona, CA - Glasshouse
July 27 - Hollywood, CA - Henry Fonda Theatre

The lineup for Summer Slaughter has also been announced:
THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, KATAKLYSM, VADER, CRYPTOPSY, THE FACELESS, DESPISED ICON, ABORTED, BORN OF OSIRIS, PSYCROPTIC, and WHITECHAPEL

Vader, Cryptopsy, and Aborted? Yes please.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't follow this thread much because of the focus on power metal (I'm generally more a fan of heavier doom/stoner/sludge material), but it's worth popping in to recommend the new Lair of the Minotaur disc, War Metal Battle Master:

l_5ebde891fe406ab9562cfb1a7f7d64ca.jpg

Samples via Myspace

fistfulofmetal said:
My interest was perked by the awesome cover art so I went and got their album. Pretty fucking ace.

I'm a big fan of "World to Come" and "The Heaviest Matter in the Universe"
Really good album.

Their other two albums, The Link and Terra Incognito, are well worth picking up, too. Terra has a few of my favorite Gojira tracks on it. Pretty psyched about the project with Max Cavalera that should be out sometime this year.

Cosmic Bus said:
I don't follow this thread much because of the focus on power metal (I'm generally more a fan of heavier doom/stoner/sludge material), but it's worth popping in to recommend the new Lair of the Minotaur disc, War Metal Battle Master:

l_5ebde891fe406ab9562cfb1a7f7d64ca.jpg

Samples via Myspace

Their other two albums, The Link and Terra Incognito, are well worth picking up, too. Terra has a few of my favorite Gojira tracks on it. Pretty psyched about the project with Max Cavalera that should be out sometime this year.

Was just listening to this last night... it's fucking awesome.

On topic of what you are more of a fan of, check out these guys:

Floating Goat
and
Iron Mtn.

I missed their show up in LA last weekend and it bummed me out. Heard FG put on an awesome show too. /sad

Narcosis

Ravager61 said:
At the Gates, Darkest Hour, and Municipal Waste are touring the US this summer. I dont care much for Darkest Hour but At the Gates and Municipal Waste are gonna be fucking awesome.

THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, KATAKLYSM, VADER, CRYPTOPSY, THE FACELESS, DESPISED ICON, ABORTED, BORN OF OSIRIS, PSYCROPTIC, and WHITECHAPEL

Thanks for the heads up there, I know where I'm gonna be on July 23rd :D

Sonki.

Banned
Ravager61 said:

Won't Cryptopsy be a piece of shit now? With their new vocalist and all?
Isn't the vocalist some shitty metalcore screamer?

I dun't know!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
teruterubozu said:

I'm probably the biggest Devin Townsend fan on this board (been listening to him for over ten years) so I'l list his albums and rank 'em for you. Please kep in ind that everything he has released is worth buying and is yet to release a bad album.

Strapping Young Lad:

1. City (One of - if not the greatest - albums of all time)
2. Alien
3. The New Black
4. SYL

Solo albums:

1. The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution
2. Devin Townsend - Infinity
3. Ocean Machine - Biomech
4. Devin Townsend - Terria
5. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
6. The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
7. Devin Townsend - Physicist

Other notable works:

Punky Bruster - Cooked On Phonics (A take-off of Punk Rock; quite brilliant)
Strapping Young Lad - No Sleep 'Till Bedtime (A Live album)
Zimmer's Hole - Legion of Flames (Whilst he's only the producer the album features a number of fellows from SYL and overall has a very "Devy" feeling)

There you have it. Devin is a genius.

Witchfinder General said:
I'm probably the biggest Devin Townsend fan on this board (been listening to him for over ten years) so I'l list his albums and rank 'em for you. Please kep in ind that everything he has released is worth buying and is yet to release a bad album.

Strapping Young Lad:

1. City (One of - if not the greatest - albums of all time)
2. Alien
3. The New Black
4. SYL

Solo albums:

1. The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution
2. Devin Townsend - Infinity
3. Ocean Machine - Biomech
4. Devin Townsend - Terria
5. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
6. The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
7. Devin Townsend - Physicist

Other notable works:

Punky Bruster - Cooked On Phonics (A take-off of Punk Rock; quite brilliant)
Strapping Young Lad - No Sleep 'Till Bedtime (A Live album)
Zimmer's Hole - Legion of Flames (Whilst he's only the producer the album features a number of fellows from SYL and overall has a very "Devy" feeling)

There you have it. Devin is a genius.

Thanks man.
I picked up a few more CDs since my last post and I'm fully enjoying HevyDevy. I even tuned my guitar down to CGCGCE! :lol

I notice that he also sells other material on his website (and on ebay as HevyDevyRecords) like his electronica stuff (Hummer) and old demos.

Some stuff on Ziltoid is truly spectacular though, like "Hyperdrive" and the 2nd part of "By Your Command". I still need Infinity, Terria and City. I'll save SYL, Synchestra and Physicist for another day or just download a couple of tracks.

Truly a remarkable discovery. How the fuck did I miss this guy?

Fireblend

Banned
\m/etalStorm said:
My album of the year so far. Even if you don't like pirates, anyone who is into power metal should give this one a try.
Heh, I'm not even into power metal, but the lyrics are so damn epic and over-the-top, it's an awesome album :lol I'm more of a prog. metal guy. Dream Theater, Ayreon, OSI, Planet X, Threshold... although I do like other subgenres, speaking of which, Charlie Dominici's new album is due soon and I can't fucking wait. Actually if the last album's any indication, it's gonna have some power metal in it as well.

http://www.dominici.com/

\m/

Edit: Devin Townsend is awesome.
Edit2: Anyone here got last.fm accounts? Maybe I can find GAFfers with more than "low" compatibility? D: My username's the same as here.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Probably, but im optimistic.

Here's my thing. They're totally gonna be deathcore, what with the new hardcore vocalist and chick keyboardist. But considering Canada has some good deathcore, what with Despised Icon, I'm fairly optimistic. I can deal with a more technical-sounding Despised Icon. And I actually like some metalcore.

Ravager61 said:

pre-Slaughter of the Soul please. I hate that fucking album. But what a surprise that At The Gates are playing again.

JimiNutz

Banned
eudaemonic said:
Was just listening to this last night... it's fucking awesome.

On topic of what you are more of a fan of, check out these guys:

Floating Goat
and
Iron Mtn.

I missed their show up in LA last weekend and it bummed me out. Heard FG put on an awesome show too. /sad

Wow that was fucking awesome! To be honest I'm pretty new to metal, don't know much about this vast genre and didn't even know bands like the above were classified as 'metal.' Am I right in thinking this is stoner/sludge metal? Where can I find more bands that sound like this? Will deffo try and pick up some Lair of the Minotaur, Floating Goat, and Iron Mtn.

Sonki.

Banned
Phobophile said:
Here's my thing. They're totally gonna be deathcore, what with the new hardcore vocalist and chick keyboardist. But considering Canada has some good deathcore, what with Despised Icon, I'm fairly optimistic. I can deal with a more technical-sounding Despised Icon. And I actually like some metalcore.

Eh.. we'll see I guess.

I never realized how mediocre Despised Icon was/is until I saw them 2 months ago with The Locust.

NutJobJim said:
Wow that was fucking awesome! To be honest I'm pretty new to metal, don't know much about this vast genre and didn't even know bands like the above were classified as 'metal.' Am I right in thinking this is stoner/sludge metal? Where can I find more bands that sound like this? Will deffo try and pick up some Lair of the Minotaur, Floating Goat, and Iron Mtn.

Yeah, it's pretty vast in terms of types. When I moved in with my fiance, I was amazed myself when I started listening to more stuff. He's still way more dedicated to metal than I am though in time I've picked some favorites of my own.

Personally, what I like doing is finding bands I like on MySpace and combing through different bands they have as friends. A lot of times, they play with those dudes at shows so the music is in the same vein. I found out about Iron Mtn from a friend and by doing that found out about FG.

Nother fun thing to do... check out CD websites that deal in smaller stuff, like CDBaby who actually put up a good amount of clips so you can check it out. I ended up with a couple of things in their 5$ sale, including a band called Pigboat - just by browsing.

And yeah, I've been in a bit more of a stoner/sludge mood lately but I second the Minotaur again. :D

Oh, and Witchfinder General... thanks for mentioning City when it comes to Devi. I was going to put that in myself till I saw your post.

VOMIT

Banned
The only death metal albums that i really love are Demilich's Nespithe and Intestine Baalism- Banquet in the Darkness.

Ravager61

VOMIT said:
The only death metal albums that i really love are Demilich's Nespithe and Intestine Baalism- Banquet in the Darkness.

Out of all the death metal albums ever, those are the only ones you love? You should probably listen to a few more.

Maggot9

Banned
Ravager61 said:

AT THE FUCKING GATES!

VOMIT

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Out of all the death metal albums ever, those are the only ones you love? You should probably listen to a few more.

... those are generally regarded as GOAT contenders

Ravager61

I know people like the Demilich album, but I know plenty that dont (including myself), and ive never heard anyone ever suggest that a Baalism album was one of the best of all time. All im saying is that if those are the ony 2 death metal albums that you like, then you havent been listening to a lot of death metal because there are plenty of albums that are on par with or surpass those 2.

Just for reference, my 2 fav death metal albums are Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness and Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris.

Sonki. said:
Won't Cryptopsy be a piece of shit now? With their new vocalist and all?
Isn't the vocalist some shitty metalcore screamer?

I dun't know!

Well, Sonki... the verdict is in and you are 100% correct.

I am not going to link to directly because it deals with two leaked tracks, but kids on the Brave Words boards have located what Cryptopsy is now up to and it fucking blows.

And gawd dammit Flo. You are an awesome drummer and now you in a shitty band that is a waste of your talents.

I miss you, Lord Worm. :(

Fuck I am pissed off now.

Can we petition to have them change the name? They don't deserve to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom