• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Common Spelling and Pronunciation Errors in Gaming?

Speevy

Banned
I vote for Metriod.

Everyone does this. It must be the close proximity of the "i" to the "o", but if you do a search on this forum, you get 64 instances of this. If you do a search on TXB, you get 167 instances. This must be a perplexing word to spell correctly.

For the longest time I typed "Kamtari Damacy", and I still often misspell the Sony president's name.

thomaser

I work in retail, and get my fair share of odd requests.

For pronounciation, Donkey Kong takes the cake. Most people around here call it Honkey Donk. Some call it Hong Dong or Dong Hong. Then there's, of course, King Kong.

GameCube is evidently not too easy to say, either. I've lost count of all the different ways to say it, but many of them include "X" or "Box" somewhere.

Others:

Pokémon: Pokermon. Pokeman. Pokerman.
Pikmin: Pikman. Pikemin. Pikeman. Pikemon.
Baldur's Gate: Baller's Skates
Donkey Konga: Funky Conga

Just a couple of recent ones.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ManDudeChild said:
You've actually seen this mistake?

You haven't? More often it's one word or the other that people get wrong, but there are plenty of times I've seen both. <shudder>

Probably not very common, but when I was a kid, my dad used to always leave the first N off of Nintendo. So he'd say "turn off that Intendo" and it was always annoying.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
in gaming or can we go related to gaming

Raedon
Linux

and also related to gaming

Xiaoyu

jenov4

Someone else bitched about this earlier, but I really find it annoying when people write:

HIDEOS (It's not fucking HIDEO KOJIMA reference)

When they actually mean to type HIDEOUS

Tsubaki

jenov4 said:
Someone else bitched about this earlier, but I really find it annoying when people write:

And to GAFers,

RIDICULOUS

I can't believe how widespread this "rediculous" nonsense is. Have you not passed 5th grade?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
If we're going outside the scope of purely gaming errors, then I'd like to complain about the stupid people who use the phrase "The proof is in the pudding." I feel this should be a bannable offence. Failing that, capital punishment would be appropriate.

iapetus said:
If we're going outside the scope of purely gaming errors, then I'd like to complain about the stupid people who use the phrase "The proof is in the pudding." I feel this should be a bannable offence. Failing that, capital punishment would be appropriate.

02_09_cosby1.gif

Miguel

jenov4 said:
Someone else bitched about this earlier
That was me.

jenov4 said:
but I really find it annoying when people write:

>_< Thank you for fighting the good fight.

Search: Key Word(s): Hideos
Showing results 1 to 50 of 143
Search took 0.05 seconds.

Meier, Society, and Drinky Doug are the main culprits of spreading this filth.

Addicting. As in, I am addicting you to crack cocaine, whether you like it or not. I think you will probably find it to be very addictive.

I can't stand it when people describe a game as being 'addicting'

jenov4 said:

The reason I'd never complained about this before was because I thought it really might have been some Kojima in-joke I'd missed out on.

The ones that bug me most (Metriod and Rouge) have already been mentioned.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The expression "on accident" is worse than Hitler.

It is BY ACCIDENT you illiterate fucks. No wonder there are no flying cars. Troglodytes like you are keeping us trapped on Earth.

Top Bottom