• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Raistlin

Epic's comments pretty much confirmed 1GB. It was always going to be necessary with the resolution bump.
Figured as much but definitely good to hear.

Obviously the full extra 512MB isn't needed for the res bump, so this will yield better overall performance vs iPad 2 ... particularly for browsing.

mandiller

Ahh jesus. All my universal Apple apps now have ipad retina updates, even on my iPhone. "You do not have enough space to download these updates".

This is going to be a real problem now for iPhone users who have universal apps.

I don't plan on going to the Apple Store. Let's say I went to Best Buy or Walmart to pick one up. How will I know which one I got unless I checked the settings?

Best Buy and WalMart don't just put the boxes out for you either. At some point, as much as it might pain some of you guys, you will have to make some human contact to get your iPad.

NYR

I more interested in the iPad 1 dropping to $299 or less now. Maybe then I can afford it.
Pretty sure it's been discontinued, I don't even think you can buy it online anymore. Actually, I just checked, and you can't. Been removed.

mrkgoo

I more interested in the iPad 1 dropping to $299 or less now. Maybe then I can afford it.

Trust me, you don't want an iPad 1 these days. It's already othe edge of usability (after using other modern iOS devices on new iOS), and you will the feel the pinch of it being not quite good enough.

It,d have be really dirt cheap for me to recommend.

NYR

I don't plan on going to the Apple Store. Let's say I went to Best Buy or Walmart to pick one up. How will I know which one I got unless I checked the settings?

Wow, really? There is a big sticker on the back of the box stating the size.

Nit pickers, can't believe we're talking about a fucking box and the competence of an employee to get the right one out of the back.

I can understand the concern, It's a shame too, since Apple locks customers into their purchase...oh wait...yeah, if you bought the wrong one, bring it back. No loss.

rinse82

Just sold my 3 month old Galaxy Tab 10.1 and ordered a 16GB Wifi iPad.

I'll just tether my iPhone 4 on the Train to work =)

giga

What a dilemma. How have these fruit guys not been sued yet over consumer confusion?

overview_title20110224.png

overview_hero_title.png

BaBHq.png

iPhone user over here, gonna be getting my first iPad next week (it actually comes out on my birthday, hey-o!!!)...

So, the question is:

Browser. Which one is better for the Pad?

I like Grazing and Opera on the iPhone... not really a fan of Safari and iCab is a bit of a mess, in my opinion... So... what's the word on the Pad, what's THE go to browser?

What case is everyone going to get for the new iPad? Just a smart cover? or one of the other, existing iPad 2 cases (that I assume fits with the 3?)?

DaBMan

Anyone know if Best Buy does preorders for these things or if they're going to be available on the 16th on a first-come first-served basis? I have about 200 in BB gift certificates that have been waiting for this news.

mrkgoo

Ahh jesus. All my universal Apple apps now have ipad retina updates, even on my iPhone. "You do not have enough space to download these updates".

This is going to be a real problem now for iPhone users who have universal apps.

Yeah. I'm gradually doing a 180 on my stance on Universal apps. I now prefer separate cheaper apps.

madmook

Just ordered one on the website... only standard shipping huh... darn. No option for faster shipping? :/
My order says "delivers March 16th" so that is essentially release-date shipping, right? How much faster do you want it?

Also, anyone get this: when I placed my order I immediately got a credit card authorization, but the amount was exactly $4.99 more than my invoice amount. Wonder what that was for?

sp3000

Why does Apple always seem to be leading on resolution. Are the android manufacturers too strapped for cash to say "hey let's put out a super high res display BEFORE Apple puts it out to market?"

3N16MA

Banned
Why does Apple always seem to be leading on resolution. Are the android manufacturers too strapped for cash to say "hey let's put out a super high res display BEFORE Apple puts it out to market?"

Samsung makes displays and is not strapped for cash. I'm sure they have something similar out soon.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Are there any size comparisons between iPad 2 and 3? Are they the same size and weight?

iPad 2 wifi:

Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 m)
Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm)
Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g)

The new iPad wifi

Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
Weight: 1.44 pounds (652 g)

They are back to iPad 1 weight.

Will be good to know which cases fit. I want a Smart Cover with then something for the back. Actually, are the Smart Covers decent? I recall reading about them scratching the iPad 2's last year, was that an issue?

So the 4G LTE frequencies supported by the iPad are not compatible with Australia's 4G network, now I'm reading that they might not be compatible with practically any 4G network outside the US. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Top Bottom