• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

the fact that we have had 10+ pages between the threads worrying about Apple calling the new iPad "iPad" makes me really wonder if the people arguing about it ever stop to think of what they sound like. Don't worry guys customers are smarter than you and I'm sure they will cope with it. But you should really rethink your lives

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So far it seems 5.1 is a little friendlier to my iPad 1!

iPod takes less than 1 second to update song location now... (average at like .2-3 so far)

*crosses fingers for safari stability*

LM4sure

Banned
is there a comparison chart between the ipad 2 and the new one? they seem so much like the same. but with 4g...so what?

AndTAR

Visual quality in that Epic Games stage demo is insane - and it's running at full resolution. Just hope they don't dumb down the graphics for release, as they did to combat framerate issues with Infinity Blade II.

Kosmo

Banned
It's the iPad like the MacBook is the MacBook and not the MacBook 2 or 3 when they iterate. People will figured it out.

3N16MA

Banned
So new iPad is heavier, but has brighter screen and better camera? Not enough for me to upgrade.

Better CPU, GPU, RAM (not confirmed), camera, higher res screen, 4G. Not a bad update at all but if you're happy with your iPad 2 I bet you will continue to enjoy it.

noah111

Still Alive
I wouldn't upgrade from an iPad 2, but since all I have is the original iPad, this definitely merits an upgrade.

Only question now is to get a leather smart cover, or the soft version. Can anyone comment on how good the leather one looks and functions over time (i.e. wears out etc)?

better screen, faster graphics, who cares. We all know they should just call it the NeoPad because all we do is browse Gaf.

mrkgoo

the fact that we have had 10+ pages between the threads worrying about Apple calling the new iPad "iPad" makes me really wonder if the people arguing about it ever stop to think of what they sound like. Don't worry guys customers are smarter than you and I'm sure they will cope with it. But you should really rethink your lives

And when I thought you couldn't get more insane than the discussion of the original iPad name.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
better screen, faster graphics, who cares. We all know they should just call it the NeoPad because all we do is browse Gaf.

But now we can do it in glorious high resolution!

Edit: omg keyboard seems to be fixed in iPad 1 too.... Yesssssss

Edit 2: noticed some lag when typing in address bar, though

So the 4G LTE frequencies supported by the iPad are not compatible with Australia's 4G network, now I'm reading that they might not be compatible with practically any 4G network outside the US. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It works in Canada.

Yeah, works in US and Canada. Any other 4G networks support the new iPad's frequencies? This could be fairly big news if it doesn't support 4G frequencies outside NA.

AndTAR

I have a feeling that the increased depth and weight is purely due to the battery. Almost 70% more capacity. That's pretty much a 13" MacBook battery in there. (42.5 Wh vs 45 Wh.)

Enco

To upload photos to it do you have to use a traditional computer? No way to do camera --> ipad i guess?
If you use Photo Stream, you have an 'Uploads' folder on your computer and I'm assuming that putting stuff in there uploads it to all your iDevices.

Utako

Banned
To upload photos to it do you have to use a traditional computer? No way to do camera --> ipad i guess?
You buy this:
lJFBg.jpg

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

LCfiner

minor point but I am glad they are finally moving way from the water droplets as the wallpaper in marketing materials.

iPad 2

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-ipad2

new iPad

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-new-ipad

I find the new darker blue water image to look better.

3N16MA

Banned
None of the UK networks have 4G, and won't do for the next couple of years. That is just a generic 'the iPad does 4G' page.

Elsewhere in the world it will be 3G.

I'm not sure of the 4G capability outside of Canada/U.S. but I don't think it's a big deal if 4G won't work outside if Canada/U.S. If carriers to do no offer the service it's a carrier problem not Apple's (I'm sure you know this just explaining myself).

mrkgoo

minor point but I am glad they are finally moving way from the water droplets as the wallpaper in marketing materials.

iPad 2

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-ipad2

new iPad

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-new-ipad

I find the new darker blue water image to look better.

Hmm, I probably prefer the water drops, to be honest, but it's a non-issue. Both will be there. I'm glad they're mixing it up. Thing is, I reckon that the new box will have the picture of the new iPad with the new backdrop. New.

They have carriers on the UK site which means it works outside of the U.S./Canada. http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/4g/

EDIT: In Australia: http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/4g/

The iPad will only support 700mMHz and 2100MHz LTE networks, most other countries (other than US/Canada) only support 1800MHz...meaning effectively no 4G outside the US/Canada. Didn't a similar thing happen with the iPhone 3G in which the frequencies supported were quite limited and ruled out 3G speeds in many countries?

What's worse is that they are specifically advertising 4G in countries which don't support the limited frequencies in the iPad...

List of LTE networks around the world

kehs

Banned

iPad 2

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/2412/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-ipad2?wid=287&hei=344&fmt=png-alpha&qlt=95[IMG]

new iPad

[IMG]http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/2412/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-new-ipad?wid=285&hei=344&fmt=png-alpha&qlt=95[IMG]

I find the new darker blue water image to look better.[/QUOTE]

Cook is really shaking things up.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My company has an employee purchase agreement with Apple. The discounts have always been terrible on iPads, but you get like $11.99 off of the 32 GB. Instead of $599.99 it was $598.00.

Company I work for has Apple discount too... looks like it is £10 off across the range of iPads.

MercuryLS

Banned
42.5w (iPad 3) vs. 25w (iPad 2) battery. Holy shit, that's crazy. That new screen must be an insane battery drain. It's amazing they were able to still hit 10 hours, now I know why. Can't wait to see the inside, it's going to be some massive batteries and a tiny ass logic board.

Better CPU, GPU, RAM (not confirmed), camera, higher res screen, 4G. Not a bad update at all but if you're happy with your iPad 2 I bet you will continue to enjoy it.

IMO a good update but not drastic enough to go through the hassle of upgrading from an iPad2. If I had an iPad1 I would debate it but may not upgrade until a new feature is added. Right now they are just improving what is already there.

MercuryLS

Banned
IMO a good update but not drastic enough to go through the hassle of upgrading from an iPad2. If I had an iPad1 I would debate it but may not upgrade until a new feature is added. Right now they are just improving what is already there.

I'm sorry, I would agree with you if the new iPad didn't have a retina display. It's going to be amazing, like going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The weight bump does kind of suck as the slight drop was noticible when I had both an iPad 1 and 2 for a while.

I'll deal with it for that screen though, that's the best thing about this. No biggie.
I can't wait to see it with my own eyes.

Cromat

If it's anything like the iPhone 4 compared to iPhone 3GS, the display is going to be a complete game changer.

LCfiner

ok, another dumb observation but this annoys me (a little).

iPhoto icon on the Mac:

screen-3.jpg

iPhoto icon on iOS

screen.jpg

it’s the mac icon, sitting on a white-ish background with extra shadows, enclosed in another frame. I dunno... seems lazy.

reminds me of this:

pa285101ko0.jpg

zychi

Banned
does apple charge you immediately when you preorder?

if i preorder online, will i have it before the 26th(10 days after release) for sure?

soldat7

does apple charge you immediately when you preorder?

if i preorder online, will i have it before the 26th(10 days after release) for sure?

Yes they charge you immediately and earlier today, it was free release day deliver. Still might be.

zychi

Banned
Yes they charge you immediately and earlier today, it was free release day deliver. Still might be.

shiiit. i'm waiting on some money to get into my account before i order. i was hoping they pulled an amazon and didnt charge til the 15th/shipping

Top Bottom