• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ok, another dumb observation but this annoys me (a little).

iPhoto icon on the Mac:

screen-3.jpg

iPhoto icon on iOS

screen.jpg

it’s the mac icon, sitting on a white-ish background with extra shadows, enclosed in another frame. I dunno... seems lazy.
To be fair, they did make it just a lens, not a camera in the icon :p

giga

iPhoto icon on the Mac:

[MG]http://f.cl.ly/items/3P2G2e3b0L0O1W3E2W08/screen-3.jpg[/IMG]

iPhoto icon on iOS

[IG]http://f.cl.ly/items/3O351s3m1O0H2f0d3z2v/screen.jpg[/IMG]

it’s the mac icon, sitting on a white-ish background with extra shadows, enclosed in another frame. I dunno... seems lazy.

reminds me of this:

[IG]http://f.cl.ly/items/3a0k0M3Q2d1P3c0j3S2z/pa285101ko0.jpg[/IMG]
I'm ok with them. It's nowhere near as lazy as the iWork suite, where it's a Mac icon on a blue background. The iLife suite all have a consistent look now with an object and a ground + background that's used in the app itself.

icon.jpg
icon.jpg
icon.jpg

mrkgoo

I think the whitish background is supposed to look like a light box or light tent, just as the other iLife suites are things on a background.

cnizzle06

Banned
I was pretty psyched to order my first iPad, but now that I have the opportunity, I'm resistant to pull the trigger. I wanna take advantage of the 4g but that price difference is kinda ludicrous.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
The new iPad will be my first tablet. I'm set on the 32gb model, but debating between wifi only vs. 4G.

For those who previously owned the iPad 2 3G, was it worth the extra cost?

I'll primarily be using the iPad for work. I work on a tv show in Los Angeles and will be dealing with a lot of streaming video. Is it safe to assume the 4G coverage is reliable in LA?

I'd like to save money and just get the wifi only version. If there are enough GAF members that swear by the 4G option I'll go with that. Thanks in advance!

Quite unimpressive.

They've finally given average users nothing to care about. Display resolution and 4G/LTE means nothing to moms, dads and teens.

LOL

The average user will see "much better camera, much sharper display, faster in every way...and the same price as the old one, which was flying off the shelves," and prove you don't know what you are talking about by buying them as fast as they arrive from China.

Regardless , at least the res is like doubled , shame theres still no MKV support but jailbreak + XBMC will fix that =P

There've been apps for that for a while now.

MercuryLS

Banned
The new iPad will be my first tablet. I'm set on the 32gb model, but debating between wifi only vs. 4G.

For those who previously owned the iPad 2 3G, was it worth the extra cost?

I'll primarily be using the iPad for work. I work on a tv show in Los Angeles and will be dealing with a lot of streaming video. Is it safe to assume the 4G coverage is reliable in LA?

I'd like to save money and just get the wifi only version. If there are enough GAF members that swear by the 4G option I'll go with that. Thanks in advance!

I went with Wifi for iPad 1, but with iPad 3 I'm thinking 4G because it's going to be like having wi-fi speeds everywhere. That's huge.

I'm personally going to go with a flex plan (don't know if that's available in the US). Basically it works like this: 10mb = $5, 100mb = $10, 500mb = $20, 5gigs = $35. So you'll be charged $5 every month regardless if you use data or not, as you use data you'll be charged as you go up the thresholds, it's a good plan and makes going with the 4G option make sense for me.

can I refer to it as iPad 3? Or do I actually have to call it The New iPad?

Call it "iPad"

no one keeps saying The New Macbook Air or The New iMac over and over again.

on Apple's store under iPad accessories it's referred to as the iPad (3rd generation). They are approaching it like the iPods.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
So they're calling it the new iPad?

Interesting. The naming convention they had going can't go on forever. It's not like they call the current MacBook Air the MacBook Air 3 or something like that. It might be a problem with marketing or trying to tell the different devices apart though (you would have to know what to look for).

iPad 2 wifi:

The new iPad wifi

They are back to iPad 1 weight.

This is important to me especially for using the iPad as a reading device. Even the iPad 2 is too heavy after extended use. Something to aim for in the future Apple.

noah111

Still Alive

iPhoto icon on the Mac:

screen-3.jpg

iPhoto icon on iOS

screen.jpg

No no no, it's fine. Now that old iMove icon? THAT was lazy;

iMovie-for-iPhone.jpg

You might not have noticed but the iOS iPhoto icon is resting on a glass shelf, and it looks really well. Plus the camera lens is nice. It'll get better within a year or two maybe, but it's not lazy imo.

But god dammit I can't wait to use iPhoto.

Tobor

Call it "iPad"

no one keeps saying The New Macbook Air or The New iMac over and over again.

on Apple's store under iPad accessories it's referred to as the iPad (3rd generation). They are approaching it like the iPods.

I'd be willing to bet the next iPhone will just be "iPhone" as well. Thank goodness.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
minor point but I am glad they are finally moving way from the water droplets as the wallpaper in marketing materials.

iPad 2

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-ipad2

new iPad

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-new-ipad

I find the new darker blue water image to look better.

Also like the new backdrop. I'd rather have depth in the backdrop, as if the icons are floating in a space, instead of icons against a wall. I'm sure the new backdrop will accentuate the screens ability too, in regards to color.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So all iPad 2 cases are compatible with the new one?

I sold my iPad 2 + case so I need a new case!

MercuryLS

Banned
Apple is so ahead of the game here it's almost unfair to the competition, I mean what the hell are you supposed to do to compete? I'm not even talking about just specs, but when you take into account the amazing ecosystem built around the iPad...it's just, man, I feel sorry for the Samsung and MS's of the world.

noah111

Still Alive
I'd be willing to bet the next iPhone will just be "iPhone" as well. Thank goodness.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

So who wants to bet the new iPhone will just be "The new iPhone"? I called it, fuck the 5.

Now can someone answer me: which is better, the leather smart covers or the polyurethane?

I'm thinking of getting a black or red leather to accompany my new iPad, but if it has wear and tear issues i'll just go with the poly.

minor point but I am glad they are finally moving way from the water droplets as the wallpaper in marketing materials.

iPad 2

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-ipad2

new iPad

ipad2012-step0-ipad-compare-hero-new-ipad

I find the new darker blue water image to look better.

Tehehehe.

You'd think Apple would take the retina opportunity and replace the ugly wallpapers with better ones.

yeah, that water droplet image has been trolling us ever since they added wallpaper images to the iPhone.

Cook reads NeoGAF!

Nvidia will put Apple's A5X claims to the test, says it's 'pleased' by Tegra 3 comparison

Remember a few hours ago, when Apple claimed its new A5X chip had four times the graphical prowess of Nvidia's Tegra 3? As you might imagine, Nvidia doesn't intend to simply let that be. The graphics firm told ZDNet that without specific benchmarks to back up that claim, "Apple has a very generic statement" right now, but that Nvidia would certainly be purchasing a third-generation iPad on March 16th to test those claims for itself. Citations or no, if the new iPad does indeed have twice the graphical potential of the iPad 2, the "4x" quote might not be too far off in certain applications: AnandTech ran the Tegra 3-powered Transformer Prime against the iPad 2 in a run of GLBenchmark, and found a few performance differences.

We also reached out to Nvidia briefly, which provided this rather amusing statement: "It's nice to hear Apple compare themselves to Tegra 3. It truly underscores the importance of graphics, which is what we've been saying all along."​

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2853089/nvidia-apple-a5x-test

LOL

The average user will see "much better camera, much sharper display, faster in every way...and the same price as the old one, which was flying off the shelves," and prove you don't know what you are talking about by buying them as fast as they arrive from China.

new users will just buy what the newest model is regardless. This will sell but not as fast as the iPad2 IMO.

MAtgS

Trust me, you don't want an iPad 1 these days. It's already othe edge of usability (after using other modern iOS devices on new iOS), and you will the feel the pinch of it being not quite good enough.
Even if my main interests in a tablet are as a comic reader & youtube/netflix? I'm not really concerned with gaming.

Utako

Banned
Apple is so ahead of the game here it's almost unfair to the competition, I mean what the hell are you supposed to do to compete? I'm not even talking about just specs, but when you take into account the amazing ecosystem built around the iPad...it's just, man, I feel sorry for the Samsung and MS's of the world.
The idea behind Android is that Samsung doesn't have to build an ecosystem themselves. All companies that use Android band together to rival Apple. And they are succeeding, almost.

Microsoft is just screwed. Nokia, for all their talent, is still just trying to out-Apple Apple, meaning they are always seen as a sub-rate follower.

At least many Android devices are differentiating somewhat with exciting form factors and an open platform.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The screen isn't fused to the glass like the iPhone, is it? That made a major impact on me. At least as much as the pixel count.

Have there been discussions on Tim Cook's keynote performance? I thought he was fantastic. He was flat during the iPhone 4S reveal (for obvious reasons), but I thought he looked very comfortable out there.

border

Is it typically possible to jailbreak/unlock an iPad and use a different data service than AT&T? $30/month for 2GB is fucking ridiculous.

Finally ordered my first iPad 32gig wifi.

My two next concerns are:

Currently we have 2 iPhone 4's in the house usin the same iTunes account so apps can be shared between them, will adding an iPad onto that iTunes mess things up?

Also need to decide on a case, I'm thinking a full case is best with an adventurous 9 month old who seems attracted to gadgets on the loose. What's currently the better options out there for the 2? Thats hoping they fit!

iMovie and iPhoto look brilliant but I think they should be included as standard - ah well

subrock

Not to be sac religious but I bought an iPad today to sell. Hopefully supply is tight and I can make a little money selling it. If not , oh well, awesome new toy.

Nvidia will put Apple's A5X claims to the test, says it's 'pleased' by Tegra 3 comparison

Remember a few hours ago, when Apple claimed its new A5X chip had four times the graphical prowess of Nvidia's Tegra 3? As you might imagine, Nvidia doesn't intend to simply let that be. The graphics firm told ZDNet that without specific benchmarks to back up that claim, "Apple has a very generic statement" right now, but that Nvidia would certainly be purchasing a third-generation iPad on March 16th to test those claims for itself. Citations or no, if the new iPad does indeed have twice the graphical potential of the iPad 2, the "4x" quote might not be too far off in certain applications: AnandTech ran the Tegra 3-powered Transformer Prime against the iPad 2 in a run of GLBenchmark, and found a few performance differences.

We also reached out to Nvidia briefly, which provided this rather amusing statement: "It's nice to hear Apple compare themselves to Tegra 3. It truly underscores the importance of graphics, which is what we've been saying all along."​

Mission accomplished. Nvidia got tricked into buying an iPad. Apple says thank you for that sale! ;)

Top Bottom