• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Wave Of Consoles Has Arrived...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
vmilebig.gif

http://www.vtechkids.com/?qs=vsmile&flash=true

I like the joystick, but I'm a little concerned about the capacity limitations of going with a cartridge format. I'm sure progressive-scan support is definite...

doncale

Banned
awesome! a technological marvel! I want one of these state of the art consoles NOW

*throws out his Xbox, PS2, Gamecube*

The orange button puts the Gamecube's 'A' button to shame. I pity the poor kids that get this for Christmas instead of an GC/XB/PS2/SP.

Phoenix

Gorgie said:
The orange button puts the Gamecube's 'A' button to shame. I pity the poor kids that get this for Christmas instead of an GC/XB/PS2/SP.

I heard they did it that way to make Scooby Doo work properly. People keep saying that it won't work with other games, especially fighting games.

tedtropy

I'm not sure, but I think the blue cover in the back of the system may be for an upcoming RAM expansion pak. I'll keep you posted!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It's actually a very cool edutainment product for kids. You could practically compare it to a SNES system in terms of graphics (from the low quality streaming videos it seemed like it). It even runs on batteries just in case you don't have a wall outlet handy (or you're in the car) and it includes a storage compartment for extra cartridges.

I like the controller, I think it's extremely well designed and the pricing is pretty affordable.

Here is a manual for more instructions on the main unit itself:
http://www.vtechkids.com/vsmile/VSmileManual.pdf

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The controller can be switched between right and left handed moves... the joystick unit slides over to the opposite side.

That's clever design.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i had a friend whose parents would always buy him shitty "educational" consoles instead of proper ones. first he had some shitty tandy or texas instruments deal that only played games about math, then he had that vile socrates thing, and just when he thought he'd convinced his parents to buy him an snes, they surprised him with a cd-i. last i heard he was dealing drugs, so a lot of good all that edifying edutainment did him. probably compensating for all the fun he didn't have. so yeah - these things are evil. but i like that it's got a joystick rather than a pad.

tedtropy

So how long do you think it'll take for bootleg Hentai cartirdges to start turning up for this thing from Hong Kong?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Joe said:
hey that looks pretty cool.

reminds me of the socrates game/learning system from the 80's. that thing was so awesome i loved it. anyone remember or had one of those? i played that thing all day long.

http://www.vidgame.net/vtech/socrates.htm

hey! look at that! it was made by vtech!

:lol yeah i had one of those. Was that even beatable? I remember playing it a lot too.

Top Bottom