• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Code of Ethics

SantaC

In the 80s Nintendo launched a plan how market and develope their games in order to make sure parents can buy games to their kids without any problems.

The Nintendo Code of Ethics
Nintendo games must not:

include sexually suggestive or explicit content including rape and nudity;
contain language or depictions that specifically denigrates members of either sex;
depict random, gratuitous or excessive violence, such as blood or body dismemberment;
depict graphic illustration of death;
depict excessive force in a sport;
reflect ethnic, racial, religious, nationalistic or sexual stereotypes;
use profanity or obscenity in any form or incorporate language or gestures that could be offensive;
incorporate or encourage the use of illegal drugs, smoking materials or alcohol;
include subliminal political messages or overt political statements.

http://www.curriculum.edu.au/accessasia/catalog/nintendo.htm

Now this is 20 years ago, and while I think Nintendo still try to follow their plan they sure have bent some of the rules through-out the years.

EDIT: As someone said. This applies to their 1st party games, and not games on their console. Resident Evil games are evident of that :)

Tecmo Bowl series? Pro-Wrestling? Ice Hockey? Heh.

incorporate or encourage the use of illegal drugs, smoking materials or alcohol;

Metal Gear? Super Mario Bros. series?

j/k

Anyway, is this ethics code for Nintendo-made/published titles or any NES game?

Kola

SantaCruZer said:
In the 80s Nintendo launched a plan how market and develope their games in order to make sure parents can buy games to their kids without any problems.

Now this is 20 years ago, and while I think Nintendo still try to follow their plan they sure have bent some of the rules through-out the years.

Well, it still applies to Nintendo 1st Party games.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
That's funny, cause Rockstar's "Code of Shit every Game needs to have" is pretty much the same thing:

include sexually suggestive or explicit content including rape and nudity;
contain language or depictions that specifically denigrates members of either sex;
depict random, gratuitous or excessive violence, such as blood or body dismemberment;
depict graphic illustration of death;
use profanity or obscenity in any form or incorporate language or gestures that could be offensive;
include subliminal political messages or overt political statements.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
MightyHedgehog said:
Anyway, is this ethics code for Nintendo-made/published titles or any NES game?

It was originally for all games (hence the "bloodless" mortal kombat), but Nintendo had to change its stance due to the publicity (and market share) Sega managed to steal from them with the "bloody" versions of games (even if they looked and ran like crap).

Speevy

Banned

Canadian backwoods

bear_anim.gif

Jamaican "Bob Marley" type

bob_anim.gif

Arrogant Brit

narcis_anim.gif

Chinese kung-fu guy

dragon_anim.gif

Cheating Mexican

muscle.gif

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
bah, corporations can't survive with their own code of ethics. that's how Microsoft did so well...

weeee!!!

I think that code of ethics was meant to apply to all games that are licensed by Nintendo, not just Nintendo games. I remember seeing that on posters at Toys R Us in the early 90s around the time of the Mortal Kombat controversy. I think Nintendo took the posters down shortly before the release of Mortal Kombat II. :p

Top Bottom