• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OT for the Platform Agnostic

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It seems I can't escape threads where those who prefer to play on PC and those who prefer consoles yell at each other for a dozen pages with no hope for resolution or valuable discussion. So this thread is a safe haven for people who game on both (and on other things) and think they're all really quite great.

I love PC gaming. The flexibility of my own hand built system, the variety of the library and the broad controls options make it the most versatile platform by far. It's also a more enduring platform: games that would be from entirely forgotten generations on console run without a hitch (most the time) and there's always emulation if I feel like adding a few decimals to my energy bill. There are graphics. There is Steam.

But I am a ceaseless fiddler, tweaking and modding until a game is "just right"; which on one hand is another bonus but, on the other, a pain when it feels like I spend more time in driver menus than the game itself. This is coming from someone experienced and knowledgable in PC gaming.

I love console gaming too. Though my PC is connected to my TV via an anaconda-length HDMI cable, some desk time and fiddling is required to get into comfy couch mode. Consoles offer hassle free entertainment and the limited options - while sometimes problematic - let me focus on simply enjoying the game knowing it's been tailored exactly to specifications.

Many of my favourite series exist thanks to first party bankroll or the focused development a console offers and I can play multiplayer on an almost guaranteed even playing field. And local multiplayer, despite my PC being more than technically capable, barely exists beyond the trusty TV boxes.

I'd also talk about how great handhelds and phones/tablets are for gaming but I'm stretching attention as it is.

So who on else on Gaf is totally happy PCs, consoles and other platforms are available? What do you enjoy on either side of this false dichotomy? And why do people get so darn angry about it all?

Top Bottom