• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Passion of Richard Kelly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

It seems like many have forgotten that we have a potentially great writer/director on our hands. The mind behind the utterly original and satisfyingly fresh Donnie Darko (2001) is still at it. Being a newbie director with the talent of an A-list filmmaker is a difficult role to hold in the cliched, blockbuster-driven, establishmentary Hollywood film scene. Nonetheless, Kelly has a few films in the works: Knowing (2004), Southland Tales (2005), and The Box (2005)...

"A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a troubled married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know ..."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446819/

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The problem with imdb, is they're often late with updating dead projects. I'll fill you in on one of them.

Richard Kelly single-handedly fucked Knowing. It was a brilliant spec script by Ryne Douglas Pearson, that required no rewrites. But Kelly was coming off the press for Darko and didn't want to lose his "auteur" status. He struggled so much with his rewrite of the material, that instead of handing in something coherent, he stapled drawings to the draft before turning it in.

Let's just say his "professionalism" left quite a few people unimpressed.

And Darko defines "overrated".

Manders

Banned
I concur. Donnie Darko was overrated, but I see Eli Roth is up to direct this movie, The Box. My interest has piqued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom