• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this movie for the first time, and damn i can't believe I'm just now seeing it... One of the best movies I've watched in a long time, Natalie Portman was an amazing child actor... Anyone know if it's out on DVD? Definitely gonna pick this up.

Pimpwerx

Yup, made Jean Reno's career. Natalie Portman showed off her talent at an early age here too. Just a kickass film. PEACE.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It's an absolutely fantastic film. Pair it with (La Femme) Nikita for a Reno-tacular night in. Why aren't these in my DeeVeeDee collection?

"Because you're an idiot."
"Oh yeah, that must be it!"

fart

Savant
a bunch of the portman and reno odd couple scenes were cut. there's something like 20-30 minutes more footage though, so there are some other things that i can't remember too

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I bought "Leon" (the directors cut) over two years ago........AND STILL HAVEN'T WATCHED IT. How fucked up is that?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
WTF is wrong with me? Everyone loves this movie, but I didn't like it. Too boring for me. hmmm...

FnordChan

Man, and here I was hoping for a Golgo 13 thread.

golgo13.gif

There, that's better.

FnordChan

Eminem said:
WTF is wrong with me? Everyone loves this movie, but I didn't like it. Too boring for me. hmmm...

Dunno man...I usually am not one to watch movies on TV, but the whole look of the film drew me in... as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to watch...I don't know if it was the lighting, the camera angles the director used, or the vibrant colors. The actual storyline, and superb acting made all that worth the while. 2 Thumbs up!

HAOHMARU

One of my favorite parts is when the little girl knocks on Leon's door...the suspense, and then finally the door opens and the light shines down on her.

I have The Professional...never seen the director's cut. It is one of my favorite films though...Gary Oldman is awesome as usual.

demon

Maybne I need to watch this with her . whos' her's? you know if I made amy drunk thread ofth eweek. FUCK. fuck mods delate this if you want...i should treally saty off the internet when i'm drunk. I can't even remember wha thete fuck this post is about.

Bob White

Maybne I need to watch this with her . whos' her's? you know if I made amy drunk thread ofth eweek. FUCK. fuck mods delate this if you want...i should treally saty off the internet when i'm drunk. I can't even remember wha thete fuck this post is about.

Dude, you got a dart in your neck.

Vlad

As others have said, if you're going to pick up the DVD of this, make sure that it's "Leon". Not only do the extra scenes develop the relationship between Leon and Matilda, but it also makes another scene make a heck of a lot more sense...

Spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie yet:
Since "Leon" actually shows Matilda being there for numerous hits, and even practicing shooting the client on at least one job, it actually explains why she thought she could take out Gary Oldman's character by herself. Before I saw the full version, I always thought that her character was being a bit stupid for attempting that, since all we saw of her training before that was the scene with the sniper rifle.

I've been meaning to pick this up for ages. 1 question is the dialogue in English and French simultaneously? Because I didn't think some of those actors spoke French.

Vibri

Banned
Leon also features a scene where Mathilda tries to seduce Leon into sleeping with her. Always knew that girl was a ho.

Trevelyon

trippingmartian said:
I've been meaning to pick this up for ages. 1 question is the dialogue in English and French simultaneously? Because I didn't think some of those actors spoke French.

Huh... most of the dialogue is in English, alone. There may be a french audio track, it is a Besson film after all.

demon

demon said:
umm, wow

Alucard

Banned
Hmm, I guess I'll watch this tonight. I've had a friend's VHS copy for over 3 weeks now and just haven't gotten around to popping it into the VCR.

Dujour

Banned
There's this cool video of the trailer of it on the net that uses Cowboy Bebop's visuals and the audio from the trailer. It's synched and everything, if you can find it, it's pretty cool. Vicious as Gary Oldman...wow.

"EVERYONE!" One of my favorite movies, up there with La Femme Nikita.

MASB

I first saw The Professional on USA years ago. I immediately got the video. I'll have to get the uncut DVD sometime. It really is a well made movie, it's amazing how much you care about Leon and Mathilda by the time it ends.

Leon: "You have to stop cursing."

Mathilda: "Okay."

Leon: "And stop smoking."

Leon: "And stop saying okay all the time."

DJ_Tet

Banned
I saw that movie in the theater when it came out as a senior in HS. I felt "dirty" after watching Natalie Portman in the flick. Other than that it is definitely a kickass movie.

I saw the anime The Professional (Golgo 13) afterwards and always assumed the live action was inspired by it. Am I mistaken?

I like the movie, I just wish Luc Besson made the film, and all his films, with a less kooky edge. That avatar from the movie is proof that his shot style betrays the tone of his films. The broad use of movie stereotypes bugs me too. The big fat guy and the ditzy blond in the beginning just runs so counter to the sensibilities of the scene.

Besson just can't nail tone down. He'll swing from light comedy to graphic ugly violence on a dime so the a constant mood or arc never gets established.

Regardless, Leon is a very strong character and remains a good movie.

MASB said:
I first saw The Professional on USA years ago. I immediately got the video. I'll have to get the uncut DVD sometime. It really is a well made movie, it's amazing how much you care about Leon and Mathilda by the time it ends.

Leon: "You have to stop cursing."

Leon: "And stop smoking."

Leon: "And stop saying okay all the time."

I love that scene...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom