• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry

Humdinger

Just finished playing through The Quarry, the spiritual successor to Until Dawn. I figured I'd share some impressions briefly. I picked it up for about $15 on sale recently. It took me about 13 hours to play through.

I picked it up because I enjoyed Until Dawn. I haven't played any of their intervening games (the Dark Pictures Anthology). However, what I realized while playing The Quarry is that Until Dawn was released in 2015, 9 years ago, and my tastes have changed a lot in 9 years.

I almost quit during the first hour because the dialog was so bad. Almost everyone spoke with the same annoying style - flippant and sarcastic, supposedly “witty,” but without the wit. The humor was awful. There were over a hundred lines that were supposed to be funny, and I only laughed once.

All the modern gender stereotypes were present. Most of the women talked tough and lead the group. They controlled the men and kept them in line. They shot better than the men, they fixed cars, they saved the day. Meanwhile, all the men – no exception - were either simpy, wimpy, or corrupt. The usual casual misandry.

I've also grown tired of cinematic games in the past few years. For someone tired of cinematic games, this was an odd choice, because it's almost nothing but movie. The gameplay consists of “push left stick forward, watch cutscene, push left stick forward some more, watch another cutscene.” Occasionally, you press X to investigate, or you choose between two options.

It had good production values. Graphics, acting, and motion capture were all good.

The story is fairly entertaining, in a shlocky sort of way. I enjoyed the chases and the gore. There is no real tension to the chases, though, because the only inputs required are simple QTEs with enormous time windows.

The story was full of more holes than Bonny and Clyde, but no one expects these stories to make sense. I do expect some emotional impact, though, and the story had none - mostly because I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. In fact, I enjoyed leading one to her doom (go ahead and open that trap door, I’m sure it’ll be fine).

All in all, the game fell flat for me. A game like this relies entirely on character, dialog, and story, and all of those were mediocre at best. I'd say it's a 5/10 (edit: make it 6/10). You might like it if you're a big fan of Until Dawn.

Last edited:
I also purchased this game (at a deep discount) because I liked Until Dawn. While I don't have really much in the way of memory regarding the playthrough, I recall liking it less than Until Dawn and leaving feeling like it was a lesser product overall. Sadly I can't say much more than that because I just don't remember anything about it, at least with Until Dawn I can still partially remember scenarios and setting etc. Perhaps that's telling in itself.

jwaxeman

I really liked The Quarry. Didn’t have a problem with the dialogue. I think Until Dawn is still a better overall game I guess, because I prefer the story a bit. But I wouldn’t say I had much to criticize with The Quarry. Unfortunately after being acquired, the founders leaving, and mass layoffs, I’m not sure what the future holds for their horror anthology titles.

The story is fairly entertaining, in a shlocky sort of way. I enjoyed the chases and the gore. There is no real tension to the chases, though, because the only inputs required are simple QTEs with enormous time windows.
& there you have it, the reason i love supermassive's games. 'fairly entertaining schlock'? sold!...

Dr. Claus

Banned
Yea, it was pretty shit. I enjoyed Until Dawn, but it feels like the devs never managed to evolve this style of game and if anything, regressed.

wipeout364

I enjoyed Until Dawn, but it feels like the devs never managed to evolve this style of game and if anything, regressed.

This is the issue, until Dawn got by on its novelty but the gameplay even then was pretty poor. Unfortunately Supermassive never found a way to combine compelling gameplay and their choose your own adventure narrative. As result each game felt worse as the novelty factor wore out. I have played a couple of their small games and the the quarry and each one seems worse than the previous which is sad because until Dawn felt pretty special when it came out.

Humdinger

Yea, it was pretty shit. I enjoyed Until Dawn, but it feels like the devs never managed to evolve this style of game and if anything, regressed.

Yeah, even as a fan of Until Dawn, I still didn't like it much. I'm not sure how much that is due to the game itself being mediocre and how much is due to my changes in taste over the past decade. Whatever the reason, what did it for me then definitely does not do it for me now.

I don't think it was just the novelty factor. I think the writing was considerably worse this time around, and the gameplay even more simplistic.

This should definitely be a reply to the OT…

Nah. That's where game discussion goes to die.

The OT didn't come up in my search, for whatever reason. Even if it had, though, I'd still have posted here. There've been no responses to the OT for over a year. It would've been a necro-bump. Besides, if I'd have posted there, it would have generated zero response and no discussion. There just isn't much traffic over there - not nearly as much as here in the general forum. At least here, it can stir a little discussion.

Last edited:

Humdinger

House of Ashes surpasses Until Dawn. Dont let nostalgia glasses blind you to the truth.

I've got House of Ashes on my "to be considered" list. Is it really that good? I've heard that it's the best of the Dark Anthology games.

Despite feeling disappointed with The Quarry, I might take a chance on House of Ashes later, when I'm in the mood. I'll need to make sure it has a different writer, though.

Last edited:
Production values were much better than DPA games, but like many have said it doesn't compare to Until Dawn. Love the setting, but the turns the game took kind of missed the mark.

kunonabi

The Quarry takes way, way too long to get going but it's better about not making the choices so obvious. I went through all of until dawn without anybody dying until like the final 30 or so minutes where I got somebody killed on purpose just to see how the deaths looked.

kiphalfton

Almost everyone spoke with the same annoying style - flippant and sarcastic, supposedly “witty,” but without the wit. The humor was awful. There were over a hundred lines that were supposed to be funny, and I only laughed once.

All the modern gender stereotypes were present. Most of the women talked tough and lead the group. They controlled the men and kept them in line. They shot better than the men, they fixed cars, they saved the day. Meanwhile, all the men – no exception - were either simpy, wimpy, or corrupt. The usual casual misandry.

Sounds like Reddit.

Last edited:

El Muerto

The game was pretty much a fan service for horror fans. You have Lin Shaye, David Arquette, Lance Henriksen, and Ted Raimi who are all major horror icons. And the story is your typical summer camp slasher. And as a major fan of the genre i enjoyed it, maybe a little more than Until Dawn.

I've got House of Ashes on my "to be considered" list. Is it really that good? I've heard that it's the best of the Dark Anthology games.

Despite feeling disappointed with The Quarry, I might take a chance on House of Ashes later, when I'm in the mood. I'll need to make sure it has a different writer, though.

Yeah. It has the best cast and story of the Dark Anthology games. It has all The Descent horror vibes. Very different from the slasher/ campy horror of Until Dawn and The Quarry.

Just finished playing through The Quarry, the spiritual successor to Until Dawn. I figured I'd share some impressions briefly. I picked it up for about $15 on sale recently. It took me about 13 hours to play through.

I picked it up because I enjoyed Until Dawn. I haven't played any of their intervening games (the Dark Pictures Anthology). However, what I realized while playing The Quarry is that Until Dawn was released in 2015, 9 years ago, and my tastes have changed a lot in 9 years.

I almost quit during the first hour because the dialog was so bad. Almost everyone spoke with the same annoying style - flippant and sarcastic, supposedly “witty,” but without the wit. The humor was awful. There were over a hundred lines that were supposed to be funny, and I only laughed once.

I've also grown tired of cinematic games in the past few years. For someone tired of cinematic games, this was an odd choice, because it's almost nothing but movie. The gameplay consists of “push left stick forward, watch cutscene, push left stick forward some more, watch another cutscene.” Occasionally, you press X to investigate, or you choose between two options.

It had good production values. Graphics, acting, and motion capture were all good.

The story was full of more holes than Bonny and Clyde, but no one expects these stories to make sense. I do expect some emotional impact, though, and the story had none - mostly because I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. In fact, I enjoyed leading one to her doom (go ahead and open that trap door, I’m sure it’ll be fine).

All in all, the game fell flat for me. A game like this relies entirely on character, dialog, and story, and all of those were mediocre at best. I'd say it's a 5/10. You might like it if you're a big fan of Until Dawn.

The Quarry sucked...ironically, the demo/intro they released for it was actually pretty damn good but the game just got worse and worse as it progressed

consoul

House of Ashes surpasses Until Dawn. Dont let nostalgia glasses blind you to the truth.
idk man. I liked House of Ashes, but I felt the production values were a bit higher in The Quarry and the Summer Camp setting really hit the classic slasher movie vibe. Maybe that is nostalgia, but in a game like this, that counts for a lot.

Drew1440

It's a good horror game, but the dialog does feel like I'm reading a Reddit thread. The Impatient was a much better game, but that's PlayStation VR exclusive.

Certinty

I might be the only one but I honestly preferred it to Until Dawn.

Such an underrated game visually too, right up there with the very best.

Humdinger

What line did you laugh at?

Haha, I can't remember now. It was just a chuckle. I think it was something Dylan said.

I downloaded it on GP. Didn't realize everyone hates it. I'll still give it a shot at some point.

Well, not everyone hates it. Some people here like it. Metacritic average was 79, with user score 6.2. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it may be for others.

I'm not a big horror film fan, so I didn't appreciate some of the fan service mentioned by El Muerto El Muerto . kunonabi kunonabi also made a good point about it disguising its consequences better than Until Dawn did. There were times when I had to make a choice and had no idea how it would play out. In one instance, I got a guy killed by trying to save him. Woops. It took a while before the consequence unfolded, too.

I was probably too harsh when I gave it a 5. I'll boost it to 6.

Last edited:

Denton

I liked most of it, but the ending lacked a proper closure and soured me on it retrospectively. 7/10 overall though.

The TV show though, starring Logan Marshall Green? That Quarry is 10/10 one of the best things ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom