• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Risk Factor in Downloading MP3's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

This is not meant to be a thread on how to get by without getting caught while downloading MP3's. I'm not looking for illegal information, but facts.

I'll admit it, I've been downloading MP3's for a long time. I'm sure a lot of you do. Some of you may have stopped because of the risk, others may be still doing it.

Since the so called "risk factor" has "increased" in the last couple of years (or months), tell me, how dangerous is it now? If I keep using K++ to download MP3's am I at risk of getting caught by the RIAA or whoever it is that is taking care of the situation?

Many of my friends have stopped downloading since they don't want to bother with troublesome lawsuits. And either just listen to the music they have, use Apple's iTunes service, or buy CD's.

The strategy I have used up until now is not sharing any files on Kazaa. I have an empty "My Shared Folder" box. I did this because I thought it would distract the RIAA's attention and cause them to overlook my username; thinking that they look for users with higher file counts.

I have become aware of the situation recently because of the IP address. Kazaa does release its user's IP address's, correct? Even if I share zero files, is my IP address still tracked and watched?

darscot

So basically you no longer share your stuff but still download. I would say you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

Use Soul Seek. Don't download files from bands that have anything to do with the RIAA.

And even if you don't, your chances of being caught wouldn't be very high.

SKluck

Banned
If you mainly leech and don't share, you have less than a .00000001% chance of getting in any kind of trouble.

Although you will be considered a dick.

SD-Ness

Yeah, I know it's an asshole thing to do, but even if I do share how big is the chance? I have around 2100 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom