• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shins are incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
No, really. Why in Zeus' name haven't I listened to them before now? Yes, I am a retard, but don't use that as a reason.

fart

Savant
oh, inverted world is better. that's my story and i'm stickin to it. also i've missed them like 3 times in so many months and that makes me sad :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
fart said:
oh, inverted world is better. that's my story and i'm stickin to it. also i've missed them like 3 times in so many months and that makes me sad :(

Admirable attempt, but I don't think you believe that yourself.

Chutes Too Narrow is an incredible album. On, Inverted World was solid, but not in the same league.

Oh Inverted World has some choice tracks, however im not a fan of that whole 'echo' feel a lot of the songs have. While the songs in Oh Inverted World might be tighter, its harder to tell with all that crap going on.

Only track I dont totally like on chutes too narrow is high horse. Gone for Good, Pink Bullets, and Young Pilgrims are my favorites.

Triumph

Banned
It's my last week working at ye olde cd shoppe, and I'm just kind of opening stuff up and listening to it. Oh, Inverted World is on it's last track, and Chutes Too Narrow is primed and ready to go. Guess I'll buy both of em.

fart

Savant
the production on chutes too narrow is clearly better. oiv was mastered on a victrola. whenever i listen to chutes too narrow i'm disgusted by how bland most of it is, but i haven't heard it in a while and i heard the single in an elevator or something yesterday (maybe it was jamba juice? well, it's all the same shit) and didn't feel like it was bland at all.

so in summary, i'm going to have to listen to it again and then i guess i'll get back to you, gaf.

oh ps, oiv is fucking brilliant no matter how you cut it.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
MrAngryFace said:
Both are worth purchase, but chutes too narrow reigns supreme with me.
When I went to pick up Chutes Too Narrow the other day.. the girl at the counter told me that she thought Oh, Inverted World was a better cd.... but I said...

NO! MAF TOLD ME THIS WAS BETTER!

She looked at me kind of puzzled and rang the cd through.

OIV rocks, but I dunno, for me The Shins are all about their writing, and if higher production values makes it easier for me to understand everything thats a plus for me.

And queensown, I am better than that stupid cd store lady.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'd choose MAF over a conversation with a girl anyday. haha, everyone thinks im being sarcastic.

Triumph

Banned
Star Power said:
I think they're pretty boring.
I'm sorry sir, but I'm going to have to punch you in the genitals now.

My initial impression is that Oh, Inverted World IS the better album. The last track on it, The Past and Pending is freaking awesome, easily the best non Gary Jules track I've heard this year.

Matlock

Banned
OIV is great, but the poor production values hinder it from greatness.

Chutes Too Narrow bursts through that wall between us and greatness and exclaims "OH YEAH" like the Kool-Aid Man.

etiolate

Banned
+1 Oh, Inverted World. Actually, I'm not sure The Shins have ever topped the first track from that album.

Agreed. Caring is Creepy is better than anything on Chutes. I love both albums though. Chutes eventually grew on me when at first it sounded like nothing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uhhhh... The Shins are pretty good, but I wouldn't use the word "incredible". Perhaps people are too acustomed to all the garbage that they have been playing on the radio for so long that they forgot what real music sounds like? I dunno.

The Shins are quite goodly-like. I own Oh, Inverted World and I've heard Chutes Too Narrow, only once though. They're both pretty good, but way too short. They need to learn to make longer albums.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, the Shins are pretty great. For some reason, though, they're one of those bands that I hear a track and remember that I really dig them, but then forget about them again completely for a few months.

element said:
too bad james mercer is full of himself.

Itagaki is so full of himself that he could immaculately spawn day-shades wearing, snakeskin jacketed, wispy metal-hair armies from his mouth...

However, we can agree that this has no bearing on the blinding awesomeness that pulses from Ninja gaiden. Art - Artist = Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom