• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strokes' Room On Fire is really damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
I bought it months ago and have periodically been popping it into my cd player. Man, it's such a tight album. Each song is like a neatly wrapped package. When all of these songs are put together they make up a fantastic rock record. I think it's miles ahead of the first album. Everything just sounds so much more refined and the whole band sounds a lot more comfortable with eachother. Respect!

Compare it to Is This It? Cause I have that one and love it, but I heard some people didnt like Room on Fire as much. Is there a change in direction of any sort? Still that same lofi rock?

Ive been thinking of getting it.

Alucard

Banned
It's on the same level in terms of it being lo-fi but the songs are just a lot better IMO. I would say it's like the first album raised to the tenth power: bigger, better, and more refined. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if you liked the first one. Seriously, it rocks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Do all the songs sound the same on the album like they do on Is This It? I think they have a good sound.....just......one sound.

Matlock

Banned
I hated it, as it's all kind of samey.

'course, it does well in a ramdom playlist, as you don't hear 'em much. :)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Alucard put it very well. One of the things I like about the Strokes is all their songs actually END. No fade outs.

Room on Fire is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Is This it?, IMO. The songwriting/hooks are a lot weaker, and that was what made the Strokes so sexcellent. Still, "Reptilia," "Under Control," "The End Has No End," and "Automatic Stop" are up to par with anything from Is This It?, though ITI is stronger overall.

I'm with Alucard..Room on Fire just feels like a much more refined Strokes. I go back to Is This It now and I can only listen to a song or two before popping it out and throwing RoF back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom