• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ultimate Fighting Game Triad

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Guilty Gear XX #Reload
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

If you have all of these youre set. I would have included SC2 but guard impacting gets dull.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Virtua Fighter 4: Evo
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
The Bouncer

*bails out*

Matlock said:
Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 3
Super Smash Bros. Melee
MrAngryFace said:
Im talking technical fighters that require skill and the ability to improvise.
All of those games require technical skill, but it just sticks us that anyone would consider SSBM a fighting game. It strays so far from the rest of the genre and the skill required is far more nebulous. I wouldn't have brought it into this thread, but I wouldnn't have counted it's players out of the skilled set either.

jarrod

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
and the skill required is far more nebulous.
Wouldn't say that... a novice is more likely to win against an experienced player in something like Tekken or DOA than in SSBM I'd say. And while it's certainly not a traditional fighter, it's still a fighting game at it's core.

SSBM takes the emphasis off memorizing movesets and puts more focus on positioning/items... some poeple can't get past the idea that engine complexity isn't simply measured by how many moves you've got.

I completely agree with you jarrod. By saying that the required skill for SSBM is nebulous, I am saying that improving is not based upon memorizing combos and building muscle memory. It is more about understanding and controlling space.

Unless you're friends are weaksauce Hyrule-only players, you need to know how to survive in many different chaotic environments, adapting to playing field shifts from items, and knowing how to use the current level to your advantage. Plus, it is four players!

I personally do not care for the game, but I do respect it. When I see truly skilled SSBM players go at it, I see oppurtunities capatalized upon not with base timing and controller motions, but with deep understanding of 2D space.

Still refuse to call it a fighter though.

jarrod

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
I completely agree with you jarrod. By saying that the required skill for SSBM is nebulous, I am saying that improving is not based upon memorizing combos and building muscle memory. It is more about understanding and controlling space.

Unless you're friends are weaksauce Hyrule-only players, you need to know how to survive in many different chaotic environments, adapting to playing field shifts from items, and knowing how to use the current level to your advantage. Plus, it is four players!

I personally do not care for the game, but I do respect it. When I see truly skilled SSBM players go at it, I see oppurtunities capatalized upon not with base timing and controller motions, but with deep understanding of 2D space.

Still refuse to call it a fighter though.
Yeah I agree with all that (I don't really like Smash Bros myself either)... except I'd still consider it a fighter, though I'm pretty open with genre definitions too. I also consider PowerStone or Virtual On to be fighters.

Matlock

Banned
MrAngryFace said:

I'm talking fighting games that can be played with anyone, not just hardcore games (which are few and far between 'round these parts).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Boutroisnit got it right.

If we're talking home games, here, and it's MAF, so we are, this is the ultimate triad:

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
KOF 2002/2003
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

I play SouL Calibur 2 more than VF myself, but there's no denying where VF stands.

MrAngryFace said:

...Then you need to remove GGXX from that list. ;)

GGXX #Reload >> SF2. If you don't think the 2D positioning game in GGXX is deep, especially when coupled with the versatility of defense and attack options, you're insane. I respect SF2 as a classic, but it really REALLY sucks compared to modern 2D fighters. Simpler isn't better when the modern 2D fighters have the same options.

DrDogg

I don't think you can combine 2D and 3D IMO. It's like two different sets of skills that are required to be good at those two types of fighters.

I'm good at Tekken, and can apply my Tekken skills to games like DOA, SC and VF (to an extent), but if I pick up a 2D fighter, I have to virtually start over from scratch.

Tekken 5
Tekken Tag Tournament

Killer Instinct - For my 2D selection.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
MrAngryFace said:
GGXX #Reload is a godly fighting game.

I've never liked the Guilty Gear games...my friend just says that I don't "get it," but I don't know. Maybe he is right, I wouldn't like Virtua Fighter if I just played the arcade version and didn't have time to practice and learn the system at home.

Maybe I should buy the console version of XX. I can't spend more than 30 seconds on it at the arcade without one of the serious players knocking my ass off. :lol

I dunno, im getting pretty good with Baiken, and once you start playing at a certain level a lot of the shit going on that seemed like nonsense before starts to make sense, and everything you do now has purpose, you know? Even tho shits flying around all crazy I feel in almost complete control with Baiken, and I can push myself further if a challenge arises because I recognize that level of control

If you go into GGXX with the mindset that the Capcom approach to 2D is definitive and find yourself freaking every time an old favorite SF or Versus tactic fails, you'll probably get pissed at GGXX. GGXX REQUIRES pure aggression and punishes people who block more than attack, so if your gameplay style revolves around turtling or FB/DP antics, GGXX will spank your ass.

However, that doesn't stop it from being a brilliantly-designed, intuitive, deep game. Spend the time to learn how to manage Tension, how to RC, when to use Burst, and the incredibly varied intricate and unique styles of most of the characters.

And if you just can't get over Capcom play, there's always Sol/Ky.

Get it. It's currently my favorite 2D fighter, trumping even the inestimable 3rd Strike, plus it just looks SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Grizzlyjin

MrAngryFace said:
I dunno, im getting pretty good with Baiken, and once you start playing at a certain level a lot of the shit going on that seemed like nonsense before starts to make sense, and everything you do now has purpose, you know? Even tho shits flying around all crazy I feel in almost complete control with Baiken, and I can push myself further if a challenge arises because I recognize that level of control

I know what you mean. I've watched a lot of people play while I was resting up, and I just don't understand everything that is going on. I just see tons of flashes and smoke effects. I bet I would like it more if the system made sense to me. GGXX:MC is too crazy looking for me, I can't even imagine how people keep up with the action in Isuka. I wish I could feel some control while playing. Confusing ass game... :(

*sigh*

I guess I'll put in some serious time at the arcade tomorrow, see if I can get a handle on it. I'll make sure to go early so I have the place to myself. :)

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
Get it. It's currently my favorite 2D fighter, trumping even the inestimable 3rd Strike, plus it just looks SO. DAMN. GOOD.

It also has Kill DOG As A Sacrifice to DOG. I wish they'd put the Isuka soundtrack in a better game, though.

DFS.

Anyanka

Every fighting game triad needs MK Trilogy.

I'd be set if I had SF Anniversary, MKT and Tekken 4. Well, maybe Tekken 5 now....

RiZ III

DoA2
jam.gif

Might not have "deep fighting system", but its badass and a ton of fun.

I'd also take 3rd Strike and VF4: Evo, but my 3rd game would be SF Alpha 2. My best "chaotic" fighting game would be Marvel vs Capcom 2 and it's probably my 4th favorite fighter.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
for me it would be:

SSBM
GG:XX
CVS2 (haven't played SF3, I imagine that would take CVS2's place)

Top Bottom