• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Amir0x

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Amir0x, you should also throw up a link to the PSPhoto image conversion tool in your FAQ. I have a feeling I'll be using it a lot... ;)

Good idea. In the process, you reminded me to put a link to the GAF PSP Encoding thread and the 3GPP website. You were credited. Thanks :)

BuddyC

Any word yet on the changes/additions to Lumines? Che mentioned the press should have received their copies a week or two back...

Amir0x

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Any word yet on the changes/additions to Lumines? Che mentioned the press should have received their copies a week or two back...

Most recently, it was confirmed that it has faster loading and a retry feature. I believe it was also confirmed to have a few new skins.

March is here and now I'm really excited about getting my PSP. I've got it pre-ordered at Gamestop and have the value pack paid off, so it's down to the games that I want to get. I plan on picking up three games, but I'm not sure which ones yet. I hope to see some reviews/impressions leading up to launch.

Good thing I bought my new car last week. Now I can focus on my other new toy coming in just a few weeks now! :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Socreges said:
but unfortunately no one comments on organization and stuff such as that (it's probably seemless, but I don't know).
From what I've read in these threads, the organization is fairly manual. You have to place everything in a "MUSIC" folder on the Memorystick and you can only use one level of subfolders, so you can't do something like MUSIC/ARTIST/ALBUM, for example. It's essentially like working with a standard USB drive. It also accepts standard mp3 playlists.

But you may want to take that with a grain of salt since I know you regard me as no better than Alpha or Marconelly ;)

Scoobert

Just so you guys know, EBgames WILL be doing bundles. It doesn't matter how early you pre-ordered or even if you paid in full already. PSP bundles will happen in-store. The big guys in suits are still deciding how much bundles should be. It could be $299, or it could be much higher. Either way, be prepared to spend more.

Also I guarantee every other store will do some sort of bundle also. But every individual EBgames store will be getting an email soon about the bundles. Each store will probably treat the bundles differently also, like the PStwo bundles.

The End

Scoobert said:
Just so you guys know, EBgames WILL be doing bundles. It doesn't matter how early you pre-ordered or even if you paid in full already. PSP bundles will happen in-store. The big guys in suits are still deciding how much bundles should be. It could be $299, or it could be much higher. Either way, be prepared to spend more.

Also I guarantee every other store will do some sort of bundle also. But every individual EBgames store will be getting an email soon about the bundles. Each store will probably treat the bundles differently also, like the PStwo bundles.

I'm planning on buying 2 games and a replacement plan at launch. If the "bundle" includes anything above and beyond that, I'm going to be pissed.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Scoobert said:

If the Bundle is above PSP+1-2 games... they can kiss my ass, I'll wait.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hmm, that's some bad news about games not being cross region compatible (not being able to play my Japanese RR against a US copy)

Are there any news whether I'll be able to play US copy of RR on Japanese PSP against someone with a US PSP and US copy of a game? Basically, the only throw off in this equation would be one Japanese PSP unit. Everything else would be US stuff.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Scoobert said:

What is this going to mean exactly? I mean, if I'm buying a PSP, 3 games and some accessories from them already are they going to tack me with something else?!? Damn it, I went with EB because of their awesome warranty plan (replace for any reason within one year).

One thing about the earlier baseball game talk....989 does a pretty good baseball series! Much improved! Though I'm hoping MVP is great as well. FYI, I heard no franchise modes! Don't understand that...

The End

Does anyone have any recommendations for cases? preferably ones i can get at EB? If i'm going to be stuck picking up an accessory, i'd at least want one that isn't total crap.

Amir0x

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
One thing about the earlier baseball game talk....989 does a pretty good baseball series! Much improved! Though I'm hoping MVP is great as well. FYI, I heard no franchise modes! Don't understand that...

Maybe the PSP 989 Baseball game will be good, but I haven't enjoyed a single sports game they made. I'm all for changing trends though :)

Also, is there a general consensus on what the best screen protector is? I'd like to slap one on mine as soon as I take it out of the box. I've been eyeing this one from Hori:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255993.asp

255993.jpg

It looks like the same one that's been out for a while HERE. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Dilbert

I'm also interested in the "EB bundle" info. I preordered there, but I was told that it was ONLY the manufacturer bundle ($249). If they jack up the cost with non-value added stuff, I will cancel my order if at all possible. What is their policy on cancelling a preorder, anyway?

The verdict on the best screen protector is important to me as well.

Finally, two really dumb questions:

1) Is it possible to buy an additional battery pack for the PSP at this point? If so, how much will it be, and will it be in brick-and-mortar stores?

2) Does the AC adapter which comes with the PSP handle international voltage conversion? (I would imagine that it does...but I wanted to confirm it.)

Miburou

-jinx- said:
2) Does the AC adapter which comes with the PSP handle international voltage conversion? (I would imagine that it does...but I wanted to confirm it.)

The Japanese one does, so I imagine the NA one to be the same.

jenov4

I would also like to hear any Japanese PSP owners their opinons on a decent screen protector. Please help! ;)

-jinx- said:
I'm also interested in the "EB bundle" info. I preordered there, but I was told that it was ONLY the manufacturer bundle ($249). If they jack up the cost with non-value added stuff, I will cancel my order if at all possible. What is their policy on cancelling a preorder, anyway?

Usually the EB bundle setup is a shitty nyko/pelican/whatever peripheral of dubious value that practically no-one would buy at the time, but it really depends on the system. It's still entirely possible to see a bundle setup just forcing you to buy two games from the launch lineup, I guess.

As for cancelling preorders, if the US EBgames system is anywhere near the Canadian one, then the computer keeps track of how you paid for the preorder in terms of form of payment. They can refund in the form you paid. If you split it between cash and trade-ins, for example, you would get the cash part and then trade-in credit - there's no way to turn trade-ins into cash in that respect. There's no obligation on your part to stick with the preorder either.

Miburou

Marconelly said:
What's the JPEG bug?

Certain jpeg files, for no apparent reason, cause the PSP to freeze and shutdown when you try to view them. I've only experienced that with 2 out of maybe 500 images I've viewed. These 2 images were neither larger than other I've viewed, nor was I even trying to zoom in on them.

Miburou

Marconelly said:
I see, so it crashes every time you try to view that particular JPEG?

Yeah, so I had to delete it. I don't think I could even scroll past it without the PSP freezing. Next time I encounter such a file, I'll post it here and see if everyone with a PSP has the same problem.

timlot

Banned
FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. today confirmed its plan to increase the initial launch shipment of the highly anticipated PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) handheld entertainment system to one million units. Extraordinary consumer response to PSP on a global scale has led to the company making an upward revision in preparation for its North American launch on March 24. This figure is part of the company's overall three million-unit worldwide shipment estimate by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31.

"Moving into this new year we knew that PSP has the potential to become the consumer 'must-have' product of 2005 and beyond," said Jack Tretton, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Having one million units available on day one demonstrates our commitment to getting a PSP in the hands of as many consumers as possible right out of the gate."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050301/sftu087_1.html

Miburou said:
Yeah, so I had to delete it. I don't think I could even scroll past it without the PSP freezing. Next time I encounter such a file, I'll post it here and see if everyone with a PSP has the same problem.

Never had a problem with that, but my PSP stuggles when trying to sharpen images (after about 150 images)...I have to shutdown and restart it to fix the problem. BTW, this is with the PSPhoto program, maybe it has to do with the dimensions of the photo's? since people said that they had no probs with images that haven't been resized.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They previously said they'd ship one million by end of march...gave 'em two separate weeks across which to ship basically. Now they're saying one million on launch day.

Interesting that they're sticking to their 3 million PSPs shipped by end of fiscal year. I think they're going to fall short.

Oh and I hope that the US PSP doesn't have a POS scanning...if so, PSP swap here I come (as long as the screen isn't worse). I'll also take the Spider-Man 2 UMD since it's limited, I'll return it after the promotion is over :p

I'm such a con, I used to work at Best Buy so they won't give me a hassle...hell, they don't even check merchandise I return :p

Edit: HSG isn't a launch title? :( I guess I'll just get MGA, and TM:HO....but I really want HSG too.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Pedigree Chum said:
Oh and I hope that the US PSP doesn't have a POS scanning...if so, PSP swap here I come (as long as the screen isn't worse). I'll also take the Spider-Man 2 UMD since it's limited, I'll return it after the promotion is over :p

I'm such a con, I used to work at Best Buy so they won't give me a hassle...hell, they don't even check merchandise I return :p

Edit: HSG isn't a launch title? :( I guess I'll just get MGA, and TM:HO....but I really want HSG too.

What console doesn't have POS scanning? Hell what product doesn't in electronic stores these days?

I find bragging about cheating stores to be... distasteful.

DarienA said:
What console doesn't have POS scanning? Hell what product doesn't in electronic stores these days?

I find bragging about cheating stores to be... distasteful.

Well, the box looks to be the same as the Japanese one, and that one didn't have a POS scanning area...maybe they'll add one for the NA system, who knows.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Scoobert said:

How do you know this? I am cancelling my order with them if they are going to make me buy anything other than the $249.99 value pack.

You are not stuck with a preorder. Anyone who finds bundling shitty should cancel their order.

Crazymoogle said:
Dunno what the difference between the 800c and 800i is supposed to be, but Sony-Ericcson has the latter model up on their website as "coming soon", and yes, the W800i supports Memory Stick Pro Duo (listing support for up to 1GB, but I imagine more than that is addressable).

Sounds like a good PSP companion.

Sony really needs to sell a camera attatchment for the PSP. I'd love to take pics with it and show them off on that huge screen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you don't mind swapping the card in and out, you can use any newer Sony photo camera, make photos with it, then just put it's memory stick into the PSP and it will recognize and display pictures instantly. I've done this many times with T1 camera, and despite it having pretty large screen on it's own (2.5"), it's much nicer to review pics on PSP.

O/T, but that W800 is a very nice looking phone.

Dracos

I also called EB today. I reserved a system for $20 a few months ago. Today they said no EB bundle, just $249 for the Value pack.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
First PSP game goes gold! (Ridge Racer)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/01/news_6119483.html

The outbreak of the Sony-Nintendo handheld war loomed closer today, when the first US title for the PSP went gold. That distinction went to Ridge Racer, Namco Hometek's second portable version of its drift-racing arcade and console series after Ridge Racer DS. Rated "E" for Everyone, the game will go on sale alongside the PSP on March 24.

Sporting 3D graphics on par with its PlayStation 2 cousins, Ridge Racer will also sport revamped tracks from the first Ridge Racer, Rage Racer, R4, Ridge Racer Revolution, and Rave Racer. Although they only start out with three cars, gamers can unlock more by winning events in the world tour mode. The US version of Ridge Racer features a new "MAX Tour" option in world tour mode not available in the Japanese edition, which GameSpot test drove in December.

The game also includes new features such as the addition of a nitrous boost and a wireless battle mode that lets up to eight players race simultaneously via the PSP's 802.11b wireless functionality. "Namco has created a game that takes full advantage of the new platform's wireless connectivity capabilities and offers gamers new to this genre a unique experience," said Namco President and CEO Nobuhiro Kasahara.

Amir0x

Banned
Wario64 said:
First PSP game goes gold! (Ridge Racer)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/01/news_6119483.html

The outbreak of the Sony-Nintendo handheld war loomed closer today, when the first US title for the PSP went gold. That distinction went to Ridge Racer, Namco Hometek's second portable version of its drift-racing arcade and console series after Ridge Racer DS. Rated "E" for Everyone, the game will go on sale alongside the PSP on March 24.

Sporting 3D graphics on par with its PlayStation 2 cousins, Ridge Racer will also sport revamped tracks from the first Ridge Racer, Rage Racer, R4, Ridge Racer Revolution, and Rave Racer. Although they only start out with three cars, gamers can unlock more by winning events in the world tour mode. The US version of Ridge Racer features a new "MAX Tour" option in world tour mode not available in the Japanese edition, which GameSpot test drove in December.

The game also includes new features such as the addition of a nitrous boost and a wireless battle mode that lets up to eight players race simultaneously via the PSP's 802.11b wireless functionality. "Namco has created a game that takes full advantage of the new platform's wireless connectivity capabilities and offers gamers new to this genre a unique experience," said Namco President and CEO Nobuhiro Kasahara.

There we go! Details on MAX TOUR stat!

Ironclad

I have a PSP, MGA, and Lumines fully reserved at GameCrazy.

Actually, I was at an import store near my house today and they finally got around to putting out a demo PSP unit so I was sitting there and playing around with it for about 30 minutes. They had Ridge Racers in there so after playing a few matches, so I decided to play around with the XMB. Sadly, the memory stick in the unit had nothing but RR saves on it. :lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Can anyone speculate as to when we might be able to buy a standalone PSP, and for how much? I'd really like one of these suckers, but the "Value" Pack is a) a bit too rich for my blood, and b) contains one or two things that I really have no use for.

BuddyC

Checked in with the local GameStop earlier - the system and Sony accesories are all street-dated for the 24th, but that's it. Everything else can be sold when it arrives in store. They had Twisted Metal (and some other Sony titles) slated to arrive on the 16th, with Lumines and WipeOut coming in at launch. This will probably hold true for other retailers as well, though you'll likely have to ask to see what they've got as the software probably won't be on shelves until the 24th.

neptunes

x-link's psp tunneling Guide

network.jpg

Requirements

- Sony PSP
- PC
- WiFi card (not a router)
- XLink Kai Evolution 7 (& to be registered)
- Internet connection

There are two major points you must complete before being able to successfully play via kai:-

Set up your PSP, PC & Kai correctly,
Load them in the correct order.

Setup (PSP)

Switch on your PSP without a game in and select "Network Settings"
Select "Ad Hoc Mode" and choose "1CH"
Now switch off your PSP and put Ridge Racer

Setup (PC)

Depending on your current WiFi setup (if you already have one), you will need to ensure that your set for Ad Hoc.
Load up Network Connections from your Control Panel.

Top Bottom