• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Deg

Banned
Miburou said:
I don't know about any good import places (I bought my 512MB from across the street), but in any case you should wait until the SanDisk "game" sticks come out. Should be cheaper than the current offering.

Ok. Thanks for that tidbit.

Scoobert

But whats the different between the two? They can't be exactly the same when the "gaming" one is cheaper. Is it slower transfer rate?

Miburou

Scoobert said:
But whats the different between the two? They can't be exactly the same when the "gaming" one is cheaper. Is it slower transfer rate?

I'm guessing they'll lower the price of the regular duos (if they haven't alread) once those "game" ones come out.

Mrbob

More region locking info goodness. Found this on the IGNPSP board by the IGNPSP editor. I think some of you might be interested. :D

Got a US edition of a game (NFSU:R), got a Japanese PSP, put the two together ... peanut-butter and jelly, baby. No lock-out on anything we've encountered yet.

Untold Legends looks great!

http://media.psp.ign.com/articles/593/593845/vids_1.html

IF anything these UL videos show you how much a game benefits from having a wider viewpoint.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Some parts are smoother, but the spell effects still look like they're composed of about 3 frames of animation. And that weapon clashing sound effect grates on my nerves. Which is bothersome because I generally enjoy these type of games and this would be great to pickup at launch. Still not sure about it though, based on those videos...

Mrbob

I watched all the videos on Untold Legends now and I have to say my feelings are mixed now. Gameplay looks good, but these types of games are played best in multiplayer. Graphically, it looks like a mix of stuff that looks close to Norrath but other scenes make it look like an early DC game.

I wish we could get some more Mercury info! :/

I'm still not sure what to make of Untold Legends either. On one hand, some of those videos look pretty cool, like the giant spider, and on the other hand, some of them just seem to scream "generic action rpg". I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the early reviews to see how it stacks up. I want to like the game, but I'm still skeptical.

newsguy

New impressions of the EA launch titles at Gamespot:

MVP

While the build of MVP Baseball we got a chance to check out wasn't a very stable one, it's apparent that EA has taken a lot of time honing the look of the game. The presentation is well done, featuring attractive menus, good-looking stadiums, and some of the best player models we've seen yet. Like another EA PSP sports title, FIFA Soccer, MVP Baseball features play-by-play and commentary tracks for each game you play, courtesy of Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow, the same team that sounds off in the console versions of MVP.

FIFA

Graphically, FIFA Soccer looks like nearly like a direct port of the console versions of the game, with only slightly less detailed player models. When viewed close up, the player models tend to move a bit slowly, but when the camera is pulled back in a standard game view, it moves at a fine pace. Some of environmental visuals such as the stadiums, crowds and weather effects like rain could use a makeover, but not to the point where it takes away from the overall quality look of the title.

TW Golf

Once we actually got out onto the green for the first time, everything felt instantly familiar, as the interface and controls are lifted straight from the other Tiger Woods games. The d-pad governs shot placement, the analog disc is used for swinging, and you can add extra punch to your shots as well as control the spin on your ball while it's in the air using the right shoulder button. It worked well for the console Tiger games, and it seems to have been translated quite faithfully.

NFL Street 2

As you might expect from the title alone, NFL Street 2 Unleashed looks and feels a lot like the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube version of NFL Street 2. This is most obvious in the visual style of the game's player models, menus, and loading screen artwork. Essentially it seems that Unleashed has been shrunk down to handheld size with most all of the console visual bells and whistles intact. Game speed has noticeably improved since our last look at the game, and if the player models aren't necessarily as detailed as in the console versions, you probably won't notice because it moves so smoothly.

NBA Street

Since our last look at Street Showdown, the game has really been shaping up into an impressive package. First and foremost it looks wonderful, with big, detailed player models zipping all over the court in three-on-three fury. In fact, for all the up-court and down-court action and all the dunking, blocking, and alley-oops, we didn't notice any hiccups in the frame rate, which is impressive considering the nice amount of detail found in each player model. The differences in player frames are perhaps not as drastic as those found in NBA Street V3 for the consoles, but the big men still look big, and even the little guys will be able to get some air under their sneakers when they need to.

NFSU-R

We have yet to really tear into all the customization aspects, but what we've seen bodes well and certainly sets the game apart from other portable racers. In some ways, classifying Need for Speed Underground Rivals as a portable game sells it short, as the modes and content are far more comparable to a console game than what you'd normally expect from a handheld game.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Nevermind, Game Gossip is dumb and as I am for beleiving them.
http://www.gamegossip.com/comment.php?id=12290

While we're at it, THIS THREAD ROCKS! *flexes muscles and veins pop out*

+1
Lumines
Wipeout Pure

Maybe:
Ridge Racers
Mercury

Man, that website is deceiving! "You heard it here first!"

Pfft. Also, I like how in the bottom where it says "Similar Stories", it has a link to the 50 Cent Bulletproof Announcement. How is that related to the PSP website details? :lol

I'm getting Lumines, Mercury, Ridge Racers and Wipeout Pure. Contemplating getting Metal Gear Ac!d.

Miburou

Since I have a PSP with Lumines and RRs, I'll be getting Wipeout Pure (70%) and Metal Gear Acid (100%). That should be enough, especially since most of my PSP usage is from watching sitcoms.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I will definitely be taking off on March 24/25. I'm buying these at launch:

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Choas Tower
Dynasty Warriors
Lumines
Mercury
Ridge Racers
Twisted Metal: Head On

JC10001 said:
I will definitely be taking off on March 24/25. I'm buying these at launch:

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Choas Tower
Dynasty Warriors
Lumines
Mercury
Ridge Racers
Twisted Metal: Head On

Why no Wipeout?

just got back from gamespot

paid off my preorders from earlier this year

PSP Value Pack
Lumines
DarkStalkers: Chronicle

will all be mine come the 24th...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Doom_Bringer said:
Why no Wipeout?

I plan on getting it eventually after the prices start to drop. I don't want to get too many similar types of games to start out with because the prices are tad too high, IMO. I'd rather spread my money out on different types of games instead of buying a bunch of games in the same/similar genres and get bored quickly. I've got my racer (Ridge Racers) and I've got my vehicular combat game (Twisted Metal). Wipeout falls somewhere in between those two and that's why I'm ignoring it for now.

Miburou

One that I find interesting is that PSP saves seem to grow the more you play and unlock. That's not a problem seeing as how large the mem stick is, but it definitely is different from way PS2 games save.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Miburou said:
One that I find interesting is that PSP saves seem to grow the more you play and unlock. That's not a problem seeing as how large the mem stick is, but it definitely is different from way PS2 games save.

Interesting

I doubt space will be an issue even if you have a small stick with lots of data on it... since you can just simply back up your saves to your computer. Or if you're lazy, you can just download complete save files from gamefaqs.com :D

DMczaf

Wario64 said:
Interesting

I doubt space will be an issue even if you have a small stick with lots of data on it... since you can just simply back up your saves to your computer. Or if you're lazy, you can just download complete save files from gamefaqs.com :D

I remember I did that a lot with Dreamcast, my cousin was like "How did you unlock everything in Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure already?!?!" Mwahahahaha! :lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yeah Gamefaqs will be a Godsend for Dynasty Warriors. It takes forever to max everyone out and get their best weapons, etc. I'll probably do it for a few characters but after that I'm downloading the save.

JC10001 said:
I plan on getting it eventually after the prices start to drop. I don't want to get too many similar types of games to start out with because the prices are tad too high, IMO. I'd rather spread my money out on different types of games instead of buying a bunch of games in the same/similar genres and get bored quickly. I've got my racer (Ridge Racers) and I've got my vehicular combat game (Twisted Metal). Wipeout falls somewhere in between those two and that's why I'm ignoring it for now.

interesting

Ironclad

I just came back from running my errands today, and as usual I saw a few Orange County Transporation busses. Every single one of them had a PSP banner across the side. It showed the PSP in all its glory with a Twisted Metal screenshot on the screen. Then next to the PSP, it had the words "Come out and play" written on it. So it has begun. :lol

Mrbob

I'm torn on Wipeout.

I've never been a fan of the series. I played the original and didn't think it was that good. But I haven't played one since the original. As ironic as this might sound I'm more of an F-Zero guy. How exactly does Wipeout Pure compare? I watched some videos and the game has a big sense of speed. But I noticed you can use weapons too. I may add this onto Lumines and/or Mercury as a launch game to get. I can't spend over 300 dollars on a hot new portable for only puzzle games! :lol

I really gotta wait for reviews to figure out what I want, these games are too expensive. NFSU:Rivals is looking the closest to a definate purchase.

novery

I did a search but couldn't find this info, but can anybody tell me if there is a "hard reset" function on PSP? Thanks.

Anyonbe have any experience with brando workshop?

They make a 2 piece screen protector for the PSP and it looks quite decent.

pspdesc.jpg

StrikerObi said:
iPSP is now on version 2.0 and is also now available on the Windows platform. Reports from Mac users who were using 1.0 say it's great.

http://kaisakura.com/

W00T! This program looks hot, can anyone tell me how good the image converter part of the program is? Is it better than PSPhoto? And does it support zip files? PSPhoto's conversions are giving me problems on the PSP...I hope the iPSP photo converter doesn't have the same problems.

Deg

Banned
Whats the best screen proctector?

Screen proctecters lessen smugdes and stuff.

Also is it worth getting an extra battery or a longer lasting battery?

Is it recommended to use the PSP battery until it is almost dead, then re-charge, or is it okay to charge it often and leave it plugged in often?

I don't want to kill the battery life down by cycling it incorrectly.

question 2: Is Gamecrazy or whatever the place is called inside Blockbuster going to have launch titles on launch day, or will they get them late? I have $50 in gift certificates I want to put toward Tiger Woods but I want it that Thursday because I have some boring night classes to sit through.

e: traded-in some old crap and now have $220 down on my PSP. w00t.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So I went to pre-order Twisted Metal and Wipeout today and got this:

"I want to pre-order Wipeout Pure for the PSP."

"White belt?"

"WIPE OUT"

"I don't see a Wide Out in the computer"

Finally picked up the display box to show them the game.

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:

"White belt?"

"WIPE OUT"

Where was this?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
Where was this?

Gamestop.

They have a big sign showing a bunch of third-party box arts (Death Jr. has a new final box that is better than the all white one, IMHO).

They have actual SCEA cardboard display boxes for Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, MLB, ATV, Wipeout, and Twisted Metal.

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:
Gamespot.

They have a big sign showing a bunch of third-party box arts (Death Jr. has a new final box that is better than the all white one, IMHO).

They have actual SCEA cardboard display boxes for Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, MLB, ATV, Wipeout, and Twisted Metal.

You mean Gamestop? I saw some things at my local EB starting to go up. Just very basic display cases for the PSP game boxes.

Man, the PSP launch is going to be insane. I hope my local EB does what it did with the DS launch. They handed out free drinks and gave out t-shirts to random people, and one of the people on the line won a free game for answering a trivia question correctly.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ManaByte said:

"White belt?"

"WIPE OUT"

lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
You mean Gamestop? I saw some things at my local EB starting to go up. Just very basic display cases for the PSP game boxes.

Man, the PSP launch is going to be insane. I hope my local EB does what it did with the DS launch. They handed out free drinks and gave out t-shirts to random people, and one of the people on the line won a free game for answering a trivia question correctly.

They also have the crappy pelican stuff in. System cover is $10. Poor fools who buy that thinking they need it despite the system coming with a nicer one.

This Gamestop has the PS2 section right as you come in the store and the huge PSP display is right between it and the Xbox stuff (right near the counter too).

In comparison, the tiny DS section is in a far back dark corner of the store next to the door to the back room.

Amir0x said:

Yeah my EB had a very cool mutilplayer Metroid tourney that day.

I'm hoping for some hot WiFi action that day!

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:
They also have the crappy pelican stuff in. System cover is $10. Poor fools who buy that thinking they need it despite the system coming with a nicer one.

This Gamestop has the PS2 section right as you come in the store and the huge PSP display is right between it and the Xbox stuff (right near the counter too).

In comparison, the tiny DS section is in a far back dark corner of the store next to the door to the back room.

My EBs DS section is a pretty nice size. The PSP section doesn't seem to be fully completed though since it's only like two shelves.

krypt0nian: Yeah, my EB didn't sponsor anything like that but on DS day like five of us who came out of the store just randomly sat down and we noted that there were others around, so we played Metroid a bit. I hope the PSP crowd is like that, at least for some Ridge Racers wifi.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
My EBs DS section is a pretty nice size. The PSP section doesn't seem to be fully completed though since it's only like two shelves.

Also, everyone at this Gamestop is really down on the DS and they explain how it's already dead with not enough games out in comparison to the PSP's launch.

newsguy

Amir0x said:
krypt0nian: Yeah, my EB didn't sponsor anything like that but on DS day like five of us who came out of the store just randomly sat down and we noted that there were others around, so we played Metroid a bit. I hope the PSP crowd is like that, at least for some Ridge Racers wifi.

People at my EB did the same. It started with about 3 guys, and by the time I had my PSP, there were like 6-7 people in 2 groups playing metroid and Mario. The guy at my EB told me they were doing a midnight launch for the PSP so I'm not sure how many people would be willing to hang out around 1am to get some multiplay going, but I'll make sure to take my PSP just in case poeple are playing twisted metal.

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:
Also, everyone at this Gamestop is really down on the DS and they explain how it's already dead with not enough games out in comparison to the PSP's launch.

Well, this I can relate to. I remember once when I was purchasing Spider-Man DS, the dude says out of nowhere "Man, did you hear about PSP?" I was like "Yeah, you like it?" "More than DS! I hope it destroys DS, for real."

I looked at him awkwardly for a few moments, grabbed my copy of Spider-Man DS, paid and left the store.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So, my launch now looks like this:
PSP
Ridge Racer
WipEout Pure
Twisted Metal Head On

If I can find Hellboy UMD I'll get that, but Gamestop claims they will carry the movies but don't have them listed in their computer.

Also, they say they expect Twisted Metal and several other launch titles on the 16th.

Top Bottom