• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Mrbob

If any of you are slightly interested in Metal Gear Ac!d, take a look at this IGN Insider video:

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/583/583231p1.html

It is about a month old but it is a great video. I totally forgot about it until now. I have been wavering on whether to buy this game or not. After watching this 10 minute presentation I'm almost sold on this game. I know you use cards to battle but the way the game is set up it reminds me of a tactical turn based strategy game. Looks sweet!

BuddyC

For solo play, check out the Zone--a stripped-down abstracted course of silver and white that's like some dreamscape. Your top speed gets faster and faster with each lap, and your only goal is to survive as long as you can before your shields go down.
Much as I loathe GamePro and their quickie reviews, this somehow has me even more excited for Wipeout, a feat I thought impossible.

Mrbob

Right now I think I'm getting Lumines, Metal Gear Ac!d and *gulp* Wipeout Pure as my PSP launch titles. I'm not a big fan of racing games, but I do love F-Zero, and these Wipeout Pure vids look hot. Plus the game is being supported with downloadable content! GAF you best not fail me with all your Wipeout hype!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Put down another $100 on my PSP today. Have $150 on it so far. I'll pay off the rest next week.

My local Gamestop has the PSP system boxes up now.

Amir0x

Banned
BuddyC said:
Because it offers games and experiences not available/possible on the PlayStation 2? Believe me bud, I wasn't too thrilled with the PSP when it was first announced, but I warmed up once it started getting games I was interested in. I wrote a bit about it, if you're bored.

At this point, the answer to this question should always just be:

Power. Portability. In palm of hand.

Mrbob said:
If any of you are slightly interested in Metal Gear Ac!d, take a look at this IGN Insider video:

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/583/583231p1.html

It is about a month old but it is a great video. I totally forgot about it until now. I have been wavering on whether to buy this game or not. After watching this 10 minute presentation I'm almost sold on this game. I know you use cards to battle but the way the game is set up it reminds me of a tactical turn based strategy game. Looks sweet!

thnx for the link!

Are all those demos playable in the UMD demo disc?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has anyone solved the mystery of two discs for MLB game? They can't possibly ask you to swap discs in a sports game?

How about a mystery of downloadable music in Wipeout Pure being only several kilobytes?

I simply do not understand why everyone wants a smaller version of their PS2?
Why does anyone want a smaller version of their SNES? etc. etc.

It's a great hardware, it has some great games. That's why.

Miburou

Occulence said:

You don't understand why some people find portability attractive? My suggestion is to think harder.

Occulence

SNES? When we heard of the top loading NES and smaller SNES, they sounded like good ideas. In the end, the top loader only had an RF output with less signal quality (don't get started on quality; scan lines just annoy me, that's all) and the SNES lost an LED so you can't even tell when it's on. When the PSX became the PSone, it kinda lost its luster when I saw just how cheaply made the device was. For now, I'm just waiting for the system to show up where I work so I can take a better look at it. No offense to you guys, I know how easy it is to get excited about new technologies. Metal Gear is losing its original form, so that's a good thing if you're into that. As for me, no. I think if the game is already great you should just improve it until it's perfect. Twin Snakes up to Eater still has issues to be corrected and PSP putting out rehashed versions of a game to play on something that should be on a television just makes more sense. I'm just not into portable gaming as much as you guys apparently. Don't hate me for it either. But to explain my standpoint: if you own a Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, PS2 a DVD player and an iPod... what's a smaller version good for? If you had nothing else, sure. I could only justify it by not owning all of the above. As for "Power in the palm of your hand", sure... if you had nothing else. Ugh, I don't want to sound like a downer to you guys, but it's all in the nature of "discussion" so no one is allowed to get angry. BuddyC, your article is going to come out great. Good writing skill helps and you've got it. So I'll keep reading it as you throw out links to the more finished portions. DS only has a couple of good games, it's new machine and I imagine PSP will follow the same line like any console where it only has a library of 10 to 20 games in your house by the time it's said and done.

Mrbob

GBASP = Portable SNES

Occulence you missed his point. :p

I think your post is full of some misinformation on a couple levels. But start a new thread if you want to argue about it. :D Well, maybe argue. Honestly I really don't care about your concerns of others wanting a portable PS2. I don't want to see this thread bogged down with arguing over whether a portable PS2 is worth it or not. Obviously it is or you wouldn't be seeing such strong interest in it.

Not all of us already own Ipods or portable DVD players.

Scoobert

Sorry guys, still no word on the EBgames bundles. Nearly every manager in the district is on vacation for 1-2 weeks. Still crossing my fingers it ends up not happening.

Miburou

Occulence said:
Exactly what I wanted to avoid. Someone telling me to "think harder".

Sorry, didn't realize how painful that must be for you. :p

Seriously, you don't understand why someone would want to play videogames on the train, bus or plane? While waiting at the doctor's office? While taking a dump? Just before going to sleep? When you just woke up and are too lazy to get out of bed?

It's your right not to like portable gaming, but when you ask why anyone would want a portable PS2 as if it's the most illogical thing in the world, then how do you think people will reply?

BTW, please us paragraphs if you want more people to read your replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mrbob said:
GBASP = Portable SNES

Occulence you missed his point. :p

I think your post is full of some misinformation on a couple levels. But start a new thread if you want to argue about it. :D Well, maybe argue. Honestly I really don't care about your concerns of others wanting a portable PS2. I don't want to see this thread bogged down with arguing over whether a portable PS2 is worth it or not. Obviously it is or you wouldn't be seeing such strong interest in it.

Not all of us already own Ipods or portable DVD players.

Yeah, Occulence COMPLTELY missed the point in every possible way. GBA/GBASP is what was being referred to as a portable SNES.

SNES = PS2
Redesigned SNES = PSTwo
GBASP = PSP

Would you honestly suggest that the Redesigned SNES and GBASP have the same uses?

Yeah, based on your response, you should probably avoid "thinking" altogether. ;)

Occulence

I elaborated. I didn't miss his point. But leave it to a bunch of guys to miss my point. Okay new thread for PSP discussion. Point taken. This is about PSP launch. All of you are hyped. So stop getting irritated. Write all the hype, I'm gone. Don't miss me. I don't miss you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Occulence said:
I elaborated. I didn't miss his point. But leave it to a bunch of guys to miss my point. Okay new thread for PSP discussion. Point taken. This is about PSP launch. All of you are hyped. So stop getting irritated. Write all the hype, I'm gone. Don't miss me. I don't miss you.

So it's "Down with all handheld!!!!" then, huh? OK, see ya.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Mrbob said:
I'm a little miffed right now because every non Activision and EA PSP launch game has dropped to $39.99 *except* Dynasty Warriors PSP!

ea distributes koei games in the us. so that explains that. :/

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
...PSP putting out rehashed versions of a game to play on something that should be on a television just makes more sense.
What's this part about "should be on a television"? Is there some predetermined evolutionary path for videogames that apparently doesn't branch that you're privy to and the rest of us are not?

But to explain my standpoint: if you own a Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, PS2 a DVD player and an iPod... what's a smaller version good for? If you had nothing else, sure. I could only justify it by not owning all of the above. As for "Power in the palm of your hand", sure... if you had nothing else.
It's a matter of perspective, occulence. There are millions of people out there who partake in videogames with a variety of different tastes and requirements to fulfil as far as their gaming habits go. Sometimes those requirements even overlap.

How about just thinking without such a narrow focus? It's a hobby, a pastime - why present it like there's only one right way to do it?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Occulence said:

I agree with you.. nor do I see why people need:

Cordless phones
Cell Phones
PDA's
Laptops
Small cars
Electricity

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, it's not difficult!

GOOD IDEA

Hi, my name is Bob!

<"Hi Bob!">

Bob is going out to New York City! Bob has to take the bus to NYC, and it's a two hour ride! Bob can read a book, or catch up on some sleep!

<"But wait!">

What's this, Bob has a PSP! Bob has decided to play Ridge Racers on his PSP! Bob plays it for thirty minutes. Bob goes and reads a manga with his PSP after he is done with Ridge Racers. Bob has had an interesting and fulfilling bus ride!

BAD IDEA

Hi, my name is Bill!

<"Hi Bill!">

Bill is going out to New York City! Bill has to take the bus to NYC, and it's a two hour ride! Bill can read a book, or catch up on some sleep!

<"But wait!">

What's this, Bill has a PS2! Bill has decided to play Ridge Racer V on his PS2. Wait... Bill is looking for a television on the bus so that he can connect the PS2. Bill is noticing that carrying around a PS2 is also not very comfortable. Crap, Bill forgot he needs a controller to play a PS2 with a TV anyway. I guess Bill will just go to sleep, then... he'll use the PS2 as a pillow!

Schmo Florez said:
Hey don't know if this was posted yet, but if you're a Best Buy Reward Zone member you can pre order a PSP online. I just got done with the transaction.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat54500050003

I just got the email this morning with this link.

Did you do anything special? I got the email also, but when I go to the site and sign in, everytime I click on the link all it does is refresh the special offer page. It's very frustrating.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Occulence said:
*shakes head*

PSP is a smaller PS2? That's news to me. Since when can I play PS2 games on my PSP? Why would anyone want a portable handheld gaming system? Why want a GB/GBC when its just a smaller NES. Why want a GBA/GBASP when it's just a smaller SNES. Why want a DS when its just a smaller N64 with 2 screens? Shit man, why want a portable cd player when it's just a smaller CD system at home or want a cellphone when I got a land line already? You are on a a freaking gaming forum for people who like to discuss gaming, whether it be at home or in portable form as a hobby. If you don't like it or understand it, off to the OT with you.

Miburou

You know, if the PSP was actually a portable PS2 (i.e. it plays PS2 games and all), I would still buy one. It would save me the cost of buying new games for it, too.

Ooh! I just noticed this in eb's confirmation email!

Based on our expected allocation from Sony, we believe we will be able to fulfill your order with our initial launch shipment.

Awesome! I preordered like earlier this month around when we were hearing places were stopping preorders for 1st shipments and all that stuff.

Also, whats the best place to buy cheap 1gb duo pros RIGHT NOW? I checked some places on froogle, but many were out of stock... :(

Shinoobi said:
Ooh! I just noticed this in eb's confirmation email!

Awesome! I preordered like earlier this month around when we were hearing places were stopping preorders for 1st shipments and all that stuff.

Also, whats the best place to buy cheap 1gb duo pros RIGHT NOW? I checked some places on froogle, but many were out of stock... :(

many of the online stores should get the duo pro gaming ones from sandisk next week (3/17, i believe). just pick one and order it now so you don't get caught in another backorder. page computer was the cheapest i could find. it's also on backorder though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Artificial Meat said:
many of the online stores should get the duo pro gaming ones from sandisk next week (3/17, i believe). just pick one and order it now so you don't get caught in another backorder. page computer was the cheapest i could find. it's also on backorder though.
I'm pretty sure all of the 1GB Pro Duo Gaming sticks have already been accounted for. Most of these discount online stores (like what you find on Froogle) share central warehouses; if you find one that lists their backorder queue, you'll see that it's much larger than the amount they're getting in next week. After that, the next shipment is late April. The standard Sandisk 1GB sticks are shipping to some places next week as well, but those have an even longer waiting list.

For anyone who wants one, I think the best thing to do is find a site that isn't allowing backorders (meaning, you can only order IN-STOCK items), and give them a call to find out when they're getting some in.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, I got my confirmation email from EBGames also, and all of my preorder looks to be fulfilled on day one.

Only sour note? I preordered 5 games in the bundle, and my updated order status page only lists 4. They left out Dynasty Warriors. I already emailed them and hope they'll resolve the problem shortly.

Yeah, check that. They DID fix the problem, just never bothered to acknowledge my original email or respond to it informing me of the change.

That's fine though. :)

Ironclad

Artificial Meat said:
If a store has the memory sticks on backorder, fire off an e-mail to them asking them when they are going to be receiving it in their warehosue. I did this with the site that I bought mine from and they said they would receive it on the 15th and would ship it on that day. Before you buy, send an e-mail so you can be sure you get the stick before the PSP.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Is $130 a good price for a Sandisk 1GB Magic Gate Memory Stick Pro Duo?
That is how much I bought mine for. I thought it to be a reasonable price and the only one cheaper I found was $128 but they had a huge waiting list.

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5535258
This is the website that I ordered mine from. Shipping was around $8 and they didn't charge tax for me at least. They will be getting their memory sticks on March 15th as I said earlier, so if you order from them now, they will ship it to you on the 15th.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thank you. I just placed an order through them, so I hope they come through in a timely manner. About $139 total. Ships in 2-10 days (mighty large range, that.)

The $130 pricetag I found was a Buy It Now price for an eBay auction.

I almost did it too.

Then I noticed the f-cking $59.99 shipping cost.

F-ckers.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Thank you. I just placed an order through them, so I hope they come through in a timely manner. About $139 total. Ships in 2-10 days (might large range, that.)

The $130 pricetag I found was a Buy It Now price for an eBay auction.

I almost did it too.

Then I noticed the f-cking $59.99 shipping cost.

F-ckers.
:lol
That is quite a wide range. The e-mail they sent me said that they will receive the memory sticks at their warehouse on the 15th of March and then they would proceed to ship them from there. We should receive them shortly after the 15th.

Top Bottom