• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The weird, repeating signals from deep space just tripled

bucyou

Scientists suddenly have a whole lot more data on one of the strangest and most recent mysteries in the cosmos, so-called fast radio bursts (FRBs). First discovered in 2007, these fleeting blasts of radio waves originate thousands, millions or even billions of light years from Earth.
FRBs have influenced the design of new radio telescopes like the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME). And now a team of Canadian and American researchers using CHIME has reported a major new set of FRB detections that could fine-tune our understanding of where these enigmatic signals come from and what produces them.
The group says it's discovered eight new FRBs that repeat.

38fpj3.jpg

womfalcs3

Banned
If it's billions of light years away, that means the radio waves were sent billions of years ago.

If it's aliens, that would imply that an advanced civilization lived billions of years ago, and possibly went extinct.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
We've been doing the same thing for some time haven't we broadcasting into space? No doubt there is much more advanced life out there, how far away it actually is to us though..

Thurible

Im going to fug one when they arrive
If extraterrestrials do exist, I doubt their parts would work with ours considering they most certainly would come from a completely different evolutionary line. They might not even have sexes.

Well, maybe a little doubt?

Yes, personally I don't see why some people take alien life as a guarantee. There really is no evidence besides speculation.

If extraterrestrials do exist, I doubt their parts would work with ours considering they most certainly would come from a completely different evolutionary line. They might not even have sexes.

Yes, personally I don't see why some people take alien life as a guarantee. There really is no evidence besides speculation.

Then i would just jerk off onto shim.
Im not really picky, i just want to molest an extra testicle.

NikuNashi

If it's billions of light years away, that means the radio waves were sent billions of years ago.

If it's aliens, that would imply that an advanced civilization lived billions of years ago, and possibly went extinct.
Or are still alive and are billions of years more advanced than us.

Hissing Sid

The ambassadors saucer lands in front of the United Nations. A little green alien exits the craft, slithers down the ramp and stops before the waiting head of the hastily assembled Earth delegation.

‘Bzt tee? Na-lo vak?’

The head of the earth delegation looks confused.

The alien rummages around in her flesh-pouch with a tentacle and retrieves what appears to be a very small fish. She pops the fish into an orifice.

‘Bzt .. Is this bloody thing working now? Nak ta? Can we proceed? Right then, the official intergalactic greeting. Ahem....’

A thousand cameras zoom in on the Alien. Billions of people around the Earth are glued to their screens. The entire planet holds its collective breath in excited anticipation.

‘Greetings Earth-man. We come in peace and wish to welcome you into the galactic alliance of star systems. We have much knowledge to share with you starting with the secret of immortality.’

*Awkward silence*

The alien starts to shift nervously from pod to pod. Has she said something wrong? Has she unwittingly caused some offence? She’s given the same speech a thousand times over on other worlds and Its always worked before. I mean, who doesn’t burst into applause when offered everlasting life? What’s going on here?

After a while the head of the Earth delegation leans forwards and speaks into the microphone.

‘Um, did you just assume my gender?’

The alien starts backing away towards the saucer ramp.

Last edited:

I_D

There are some evolutionary advantages to sexes and differentiation of genes. Alien life could look strikingly similar to life on Earth.

Or it might just be bacteria. Unfortunately, due to distances, we'll probably never know.

How could a society that was advanced enough billions of years ago to send out radio waves not be advanced enough now to at least have their imprint on the universe?

How do you know this isn't the first sign of their imprint? Maybe in a thousand years, we'll see half of space filled with signals from alien life.

Probably not, but a man can dream.

Ornlu

Banned
Maybe *takes hit* all sentient life started at the same moment, so everyone is at the same level as us. We just haven't gotten their signals yet, bro.

DESTROYA

It’s far more likely it’s just some unknown astronomical event rather than aliens trying to send out a message.

RADIO EMISSIONS IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM
Astronomical objects that have a changing magnetic field can produce radio waves. The radio astronomy instrument called WAVES on the WIND spacecraft recorded a day of bursts of radio waves from the Sun's corona and planets in our solar system.
Data pictured below show emissions from a variety of sources including radio bursts from the Sun, the Earth, and even from Jupiter's ionosphere whose wavelengths measure about fifteen meters in length.

Neutron Stars

Pulsars
Schematic view of a pulsar. The sphere in the middle represents the neutron star, the curves indicate the magnetic field lines, the protruding cones represent the emission beams and the green line represents the axis on which the star rotates.
Supernovas sometimes leave behind dense spinning neutron stars called pulsars. They emit jets of charged particles which emit synchrotron radiation in the radio spectrum. Examples include the Crab Pulsar, the first pulsar to be discovered. Pulsars and quasars (dense central cores of extremely distant galaxies) were both discovered by radio astronomers. In 2003 astronomers using the Parkes radio telescope discovered two pulsars orbiting each other, the first such system known.
Rotating Radio Transient (RRAT) SourcesEdit
Rotating radio transients (RRATs) are a type of neutron stars discovered in 2006 by a team led by Maura McLaughlin from the Jodrell Bank Observatory at the University of Manchester in the UK. RRATs are believed to produce radio emissions which are very difficult to locate, because of their transient nature.[5] Early efforts have been able to detect radio emissions (sometimes called RRAT flashes)[6] for less than one second a day, and, like with other single-burst signals, one must take great care to distinguish them from terrestrial radio interference. Distributing computing and the Astropulse algorithm may thus lend itself to further detection of RRATs.

NikuNashi

How could a society that was advanced enough billions of years ago to send out radio waves not be advanced enough now to at least have their imprint on the universe?

There are innumerable obstacles to interstellar colonization. Perhaps it isn't possible, perhaps it isn't desirable, perhaps it isn't in the best safety interests of the species, non of us know what billions of years of evolution does to a species but to say that because they have not colonised the whole universe and you can't see their closest drive through mcdonalds floating near uranus doesn't mean then went extinct.

Top Bottom