• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 announced.

desmax

Well, the first game had a pretty troubled development cycle, and ended up being pretty messy.

But it showed lots of potential. If they make a better game, I'm pretty sure it will be a cult classic of sorts

Wow, really surprised, didn't think the first one did well enough to warrant a second. Although they did make that enhanced PS4 edition.

Ubernube

I am surprised that the first one and the PS4 remake sold enough to justify the sequel. Thought they tanked.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was one of the few non-Disgaea series to not flop (in Japan, no clue how it did here), not surprised they're capitalizing on it.

I liked the first one, but the gameplay was horrifically flawed, and I pretty much just played for the story. Hopefully the second improves upon this.

SephLuis

Well, the first game had a pretty troubled development cycle, and ended up being pretty messy.

But it showed lots of potential. If they make a better game, I'm pretty sure it will be a cult classic of sorts

This

What's wrong with the first one? Was it bad?

I liked it, but it's repetitive.

It has a focus on getting loot like a Diablo game but the actions are more action based like doing simple combos or dodges that can slow time. You also have a mechanic that acts as a timer on each level.

Each level, even in the beginning, is long. And they keep getting bigger without the game giving too much in terms of variety or difficulty. When you go past a certain point (after a lot of hours) the game suddenly becomes a lot more challenging and more interesting, but at this point most people probably already dropped the game.

The more challenging part comes because the enemies hit harder and you have to deal with them and the limitations of the timer. The timer is essentially your life so each hit consumes a little bit.

I really liked the story because it's insane and quirky in it's own way and it has a lot of charm. The OST is pretty good too. The gameplay works but they repeat it too much without adding anything and it's too shallow for a game that's too long.

I recommend it if you can play in a sparse manner. A few hours each session to avoid the repetition.

Dio

Banned
The first one for PS4 is on sale on PSN right now.

$15.99 with PSN Plus

What's wrong with the first one? Was it bad?

Yeah, it has a lot of problems.

For one, camera control isn't great. Two, the combat system is an ocean of gimmicks with no depth. It gets very repetitive very quickly. For fuck's sake, even using a single weapon attack more than once doesn't trigger a 'second animation' where the Knight swings his sword the other way, it just repeats the 'weapon swing' animation so you have to rely on weapon switching for animation variety.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was one of the few non-Disgaea series to not flop (in Japan, no clue how it did here), not surprised they're capitalizing on it.

It did well relative to other NIS games, sure, but it was still in the red for a project as a whole. They pumped way too much money into it iirc and originally envisioned it as an open-world game before having to scale it back.

The second one shouldn't have that problem with protracted development cycle at least.

Top Bottom