• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zumba Fitness |OT| of shaking your money maker to the latin beat!

Priz

azs62.jpg

What is Zumba? How does it differ from all the other exercise games/videos out there?

Here's a little summary of the history of Zumba. http://zumbafitnessgame.com/ is the official homepage for the game.

ntjzQ.jpg

Zumba is a multi-million dollar franchise created by "Beto" Perez. The infomercials for the Zumba system seem to run constantly (I can scroll through my DirecTV channel guide for a 3 hour block and find some channel in the 200-300 range that it's either playing on now or about to start playing.) There's the basic kit, the bonus CD's and other stuff, the Zumba clothing/workout gear line and the magazine.

While most of the fitness software seems to follow a generic set of workout/yoga moves, Zumba has it's own set of moves and classes all over the globe you can attend as well as now doing all of this from the comfort of your own home. With it's popularity spreading, it seems like it's a natural fit to have a licensed Zumba workout title.

What versions are available/How many players do they support?

This is rather tricky to answer. Here's what I've seen:
- The Xbox 360/Kinect version supports up to two players at a time. According to Majesco's page for the 360 version, it says:
Majesco said:
Host a coordinated Zumba class online for up to 8 people. Voice chat included.
Cool, just like going to a Zumba class in person, but over the Internet, right? The manual mentions nothing of this, and for multiplayer it says:
Kinect version Manual said:
Zumba Class: Dance through the available classes with a friend. Note: This mode requires two profiles.
NO mention at all of using the 8 player version. Strange.

-The PS3 & Wii versions support up to four players at a time, BUT each player needs a "belt" attached to either a Wiimote or a Move controller. I assume there's only one packed in with no mention so far of how to purchase the remaining three you would need. (Maybe everyone is expected to buy a copy of the game and bring their belts to a friends house.)

Can I see the game in action?

Here's the E3 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abN-m-lgyE4
One of the trainers from the game showing off Kinect gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzOmN8R0MYU
Zumba Kinect is for all ages! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZx9ZQgp94
Learning the steps from the DVD's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsSrq3HBa7A
Zumba "Caipirinha" PV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2X59Cycrc

How does the game compare to the videos/actual classes? Will I receive a comprable workout?

Coming soon...

Where can I find more info on Zumba/the game?

http://cardiobeginners.com/zumba-beginners-tips-for-zumbas-work-out/
http://www.fitceleb.com/node/8551
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-majesco-s-zumba-fitness-is-out-of-control-exercise-176599.phtml
http://www.examiner.com/health-and-...ess-with-salsa-l-a-studio-to-offer-free-intro

(I've been interested in checking this out and so I picked it up from Costco.com. It arrived today and I've been wanting to whip up a thread, so this is my first version. Going to work on the graphics later, wanted to replace the Zumba circular logo with the NeoGAF one on the official thread pic.)

REV 09

My wife was asking about this yesterday for Kinect. Odd that there are no reviews. Thanks for the thread.

GameGamer

I am interested in this.

But the actual dancing screens of yourself seem like an afterthought.

Looks a lot like Just Dance where you are watching a video of someone else dancing and trying to mimic.

REV 09 said:
My wife was asking about this yesterday for Kinect. Odd that there are no reviews. Thanks for the thread.

My sister and mother both expressed interest in this game despite not having a 360, let alone a Kinect. But they already take Zumba classes so I don't think this would add to the experience for them.

You find it odd that there are no reviews? The thing is...it's hard to classify this as a game. It's almost like Wii Fit, in a way, isn't it?

kn4rf

I just picked up PS Move Bundle and Zumba today for my wife. She expressed interest in the DVD's so I thought this might make an interesting Christmas gift. However I looked for some reviews and haven't been able to fine anything listed at all. Has anyone had any experience with it that they might want to share?
I'm not expecting it to be great but if it gets my wife and I off of the couch even a little and exposes her to gaming then I think it would be worth it.

abq

kn4rf said:
I just picked up PS Move Bundle and Zumba today for my wife. She expressed interest in the DVD's so I thought this might make an interesting Christmas gift. However I looked for some reviews and haven't been able to fine anything listed at all. Has anyone had any experience with it that they might want to share?
I'm not expecting it to be great but if it gets my wife and I off of the couch even a little and exposes her to gaming then I think it would be worth it.
You bought it for your wife as a christmas present? I hope your wife doesn't take it the wrong way.

It's a kind gesture, but no matter how you put it the woman will always take it the wrong way. :lol "What, are you saying I'm fat?"

From a retail standpoint I've seen a lot of the Kinect and PS3 copies gather a lot of interest but not a lot sold. People just seem a tad skeptical, I do know the actual exercise/dance is pretty popular though so I'm sure what's holding people back.

kn4rf

Nah I wasn't trying to imply anything to my wife. She's awesome and will just hopefully like the fact I want to do something with her thats not like "Come on baby lets play this <Insert FPS Game here>"

kn4rf said:
Nah I wasn't trying to imply anything to my wife. She's awesome and will just hopefully like the fact I want to do something with her thats not like "Come on baby lets play this <Insert FPS Game here>"

I normally don't do that either but I did with Costume Quest and my gf loved it ><.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I got the PS3 version for my wife (under the tree). The Kinect version is supposed to be near broken according to the amazon reviews.

DeadGzuz said:
I got the PS3 version for my wife (under the tree). The Kinect version is supposed to be near broken according to the amazon reviews.

That's the same case with the kinect version of EA Active. Is it just too early in the tech department for the kinect or are developers really that lazy?

(This has me worried for the kinect version of Michael Jackson- although Your Fitness works)

green_focus

Well Gaffers, any thoughts on how this turned out? My wife wants to go track this down tomorrow. Move or Kinect impressions please! :D

thundr51

Curious about this as well. Came close to picking this up a while ago but I made the mistake of getting Yourself Fitness: SE instead.

komarkaze

I bought the Kinect Zumba game at my wife's behest even after reading the Amazon user reviews. We only played through one beginner level 20 minute class routine, so my impressions will be limited.

The UI is the worst of the Kinect games so far. Ugly bare bones menu and non-intuitive selection process. It's a combination of hold hand over and swipe, which is difficult to register. It will be easily frustrating for the user to navigate the menu, especially if they're not gamers.

My wife is an avid Zumba dancer and attends the classes weekly. She thought the music was good and the dance steps were authentic to the Zumba steps she learned in class. Technically speaking, I cannot gauge how accurate it detected our moves since it gave positive comments for her moves. However, when she stepped of screen to drink water, it told her she had nice moves which was obviously not part of the routine. So accuracy is definitely a questionable item. I did not get to test the online or local multiplayer, but it apparently lets 4 people play.

Based on my initial impressions, I'd say it's an over-glorified workout Zumba DVD. For my wife, she's probably fine with it for now, but we may end up selling it soon.

komarkaze said:
I bought the Kinect Zumba game at my wife's behest even after reading the Amazon user reviews. We only played through one beginner level 20 minute class routine, so my impressions will be limited.

The UI is the worst of the Kinect games so far. Ugly bare bones menu and non-intuitive selection process. It's a combination of hold hand over and swipe, which is difficult to register. It will be easily frustrating for the user to navigate the menu, especially if they're not gamers.

My wife is an avid Zumba dancer and attends the classes weekly. She thought the music was good and the dance steps were authentic to the Zumba steps she learned in class. Technically speaking, I cannot gauge how accurate it detected our moves since it gave positive comments for her moves. However, when she stepped of screen to drink water, it told her she had nice moves which was obviously not part of the routine. So accuracy is definitely a questionable item. I did not get to test the online or local multiplayer, but it apparently lets 4 people play.

Based on my initial impressions, I'd say it's an over-glorified workout Zumba DVD. For my wife, she's probably fine with it for now, but we may end up selling it soon.

I'm not sure it even tracks your movements with the way the game is so barebones. I think it's only just a moving silhouette like Just Dance and a distorted, digitized version of yourself in the background. The game looks like a cheap instructional DVD slapped with a crappy interface and a $50 price tag.

That and the way the game just throws you right in dancing and shaking was kinda shitty. Not sure if I missed the easy option? Anyone who's just getting into Zumba or latin music are gonna be stumbling around. I'd say avoid this game. If you like Zumba, an instructional DVD might be better. It's a like a shitty version of Just Dance with latin themes and some exercises.

komarkaze

I forgot to mention there is an option to learn/practice the dance moves for each style of music. I didn't try it but I imagine it functions similar to Break it Down mode in Dance Central. There are achievements associated to learning those moves too.

The game starts out with easy routines but it also has medium and hard. From the easy routine I practiced with my wife, it is on par with an easy Zumba class.

green_focus

Ended up finding it at Costco ($30!). Hard to track down this time of year. Got Dance Central and Kinect Sports also.

Menus are awkward. Tracking is questionable sometimes (went to get a drink of water and it told me I was doing great). Music is lots of fun if you like the Latin groove. It's not as horrible as many of the amazon reviews I read. Don't feel too bad paying 30 dollars for it.

However, having said that, unless you LOVE Kinect and Zumba, you're probably better off getting the DVDs if you're interested. Wife will probably keep using this, I find myself enjoying Dance Central a lot more.

Top Bottom