• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about getting an SP -- pls recommend a game.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What's a good 1st game to start off with?

story.mario.golf.cnn.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
I like that pic. It's like mafioso Mario's about to bash someones head in with a golf club.

(and another vote for Advance Wars)

Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Advance Wars
'Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Golden Sun
Wario Ware (This should really be your first game)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mario and Luigi
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Mario Golf
Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission
Pokemon
MMBN series
SMA series
Konami Krazy Racers
Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Gosh there's really too many to name. I'd just do some research and pick what interests you the most.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
WarioWare seems kinda shallow for a first game.

-- Any good sales going on now?

Advance Wars 2 runs $20 at most places. Awesome, awesome game.

My other recommendations would be Mario Golf (I'm still not sold on its longevity, but it's a killer game) or Mario and Luigi (fun, if simple, RPG).

Oh, and Wario Ware. Surprisingly unshallow, and fun as shit.

*Noel Coward Parody

belgurdo said:
Golden Sun (both halves) will make you cry; avoid

Lies, Golden Sun is the ultimate RPG experience that I've ever seen offered. *chuckles*

Seriously though, it isn't bad at all. At least I didn't find it to be. The story does drag out a bit because there's some unneeded dialog, but I didn't find that to be much of a problem I guess. The music is great, and the battles certainly aren't boring. Surely they're nothing like Tales, but they're much better than some other RPGs I've played that people seem to adore. I don't know, they're very "love it or hate it".

Wario Ware. Instant Action! Infinite Fun! If you're really againts getting Wario Ware for some crazy reason then go for one of the Mario ports, Zelda 3, or Metroid Zero Mission. If you like strategy then definitely go for Fire Emblem or Advance Wars.

Deg

Banned
Loads of games to choose from. I just got Fire Emblem right now. That could be good.

The super Mario games are pretty awesome especially if you havent played them.

Gruco

Banned
Golden Sun: The Lost Age is a great RPG unless you're really hung up on stories.

Advance Wars (both) are great, but 2 is the better.

I feel obligated to recommend Pokemon, just because I'm a nut for it.

Car Battler Joe is a fun game that has a lot of diverse elements. Never gets much attention, but it's good.

Mario & Luigi is fun, but was a big letdown after Paper Mario IMO.

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams is a fun puzzle driven platformer. So is Mario vs Donkey Kong.

The Megaman Battle Network games are fun. I'd say play at least one of them, it's pretty neat the when you first start with it.

Also Wario Ware.

beerbelly

Banned
Where do you live? If in Canada, SP comes bundled with Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell at Futureshop. Two games FREE. How good is that?!

AniHawk

Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Fire Emblem are good starters if you like good RPGs (Fire Emblem being MUCH better than TLA). Another game for the GBA I loved was Pokemon Ruby. Still as addicting as ever.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Drinky Crow said:
Fire Emblem.
*thumbs up*

I just started on the Pirate Ship chapter.

edit: actually, there are too many good games for the GBA to suggest only one. Wario Ware, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and Advance Wars are games you should own.

Gahiggidy

I got a Platinum SP and Advance Wars 2.

Sysgen

I bought my GBA SP not too long ago and my first game was Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Aria totally sucked me in with it's platforming, game mechanics and graphics. Definitely try this one.

Gahiggidy

New. For $19.

The corners of the SP are digging into my palms.

Fularu

Banned
beerbelly said:
Where do you live? If in Canada, SP comes bundled with Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell at Futureshop. Two games FREE. How good is that?!

The Flyer just says Pandora tomorow...

If that'S true, I'll go right now getting one! I bought a nes SP 1 week ago and it had CT Special Forces with it.. I'd rather have Pop :p

Dagon

Now that you've got Advance Wars 2, you're going to need something to relax with.

Buy Wario Ware immediately. And don't worry about it's ostensible lack of depth. It's one of the best games around.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, with the DS on the way so soon, the only reason to buy an SP is if you also want to play GameBoy and GameBoy Color games. If not, I'd definitely just wait for the DS.

Fularu

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Yeah, with the DS on the way so soon, the only reason to buy an SP is if you also want to play GameBoy and GameBoy Color games. If not, I'd definitely just wait for the DS.

I can't see myself not playing Marioland 1 ans 2 :( and The original GB Tetris

Deg

Banned
He made a good choice. And yes the sliver GBASP is the best one and the most popular. Evidently people on messageboards have different tastes.

Advance Wars 1 & 2
WarioLand 4
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Wario Ware Inc.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Car Battler Joe
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission

*Megaman Anniversary Collection in September!

Top Bottom