• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of getting a GBA but ...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
So, since I'm on a job where I travel 80% of the time, I'm looking into buying a GBA. My only concern is the controls - Nintendo of course had to do the stupid thing and only put 4 buttons on the system. I'm a huge fan of 2d fighters, and my first purchases would probably be all in that genre. The question I have is, are the games playable with crippled controls? How do they replicate the street fighter 6-button controls on the system? Someone let me know.

And don't tell me to wait for DS. I see nothing on the system that interests me, and no way am I going to put down $150 or whatever for that thing.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
well everything that would interest you on GBA would interest you on DS as well since it plays all those. Fighters are not really the GBAs strong point, but by many accounts the street fighter 3 alpha port is awesome.

edit: though I understand your complaint about price, some of my favorite GBA experiences are coming to DS too in the way of wario ware and advance wars.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Wait and get a PSP. The games you are interested in will have better graphics, sound, and controls. Vampire Savior and KOF are coming and I'm sure more fighters will follow after those. DS has some quirky games but for strictly fighting games I think PSP will be the better choice for you in the long run.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JC10001 said:
Wait and get a PSP. The games you are interested in will have better graphics, sound, and controls. Vampire Savior and KOF are coming and I'm sure more fighters will follow after those. DS has some quirky games but for strictly fighting games I think PSP will be the better choice for you in the long run.

I am trying to understand what would make the PSP better for fighting games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SFA3 Upper on the GBA is pretty much the best portable fighting game I've ever played. The fact that it is such an incredible port (in all but music, obviously) is tremendous.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Mejilan said:
SFA3 Upper on the GBA is pretty much the best portable fighting game I've ever played. The fact that it is such an incredible port (in all but music, obviously) is tremendous.

Yup, excellent game

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
SFA3 Upper is indeed an excellent game, but I'd say SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium is the best portable fighting game ever made.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival isn't quite up there with those two, but I also think it deserves an honorable mention as an excellent remake of the last iteration of the classic SF2 series.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am trying to understand what would make the PSP better for fighting games.

umm, let me see...

Four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, giving you all the buttons you need to play them properly?

KOF and Vampire Saviour coming out soon after launch?

Couple of reasons right there.

As for being a fighting game nut - why not buy a GP32, or gizmondo or tapwave zodiac, and pop on an emulator and every fighting game you have ever played?

Top Bottom