• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thompson - Philips - Samsung drives, how noticable?

Gamedude

I bought my first Xbox somewhere in the it's beginning, It was of course a Thompson drive.. because I've got some serious problems with my Thompson drive latly I'm going to buy myself a new Xbox(tomorrow).. now.. I'd like to buy an Xbox that has the Samsung drive.. but I was wondering.. how do I see if the Xbox has a Samsung drive BESIDES giving the Xbox electricity and opening the drive to put a game in it.?(that would mean I need to unpack the Xbox in the store itself) isn't there some sort of mark combination on the product ID so I can see if it has a Samsung drive yes or no, that would be handy..

My Halo Xbox has a phillips drive. I think most of them do. I've had no problems with it but I havent used it for piracy or anything like that.

Ecrofirt

I *do* use burned discs in my Philips drive.

Anything I throw at it works. My friend has a Samsung, and he can't play half of the media I try to put into his Xbox.

Takuan

Gamedude: They don't equip Xboxs with Samsung drives anymore, so your chances of finding a new one are pretty low.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I really think the whole Thomson issue is blown way out of proportion. I have two XBoxes--my original one that I use for XBox Live and one I got from my friend to mod. Both are launch machines with Thomson drives. I've had problem zero with either one of them. Granted, this isn't exactly the largest sample set but I've heard of people having problems with Phillips and Samsung drives as well.

Gamedude

@ Takua: seriously? is the philips drive really good? Because I know a friend who has the philips drive and his lens is also a little bit f*kked up like mine is.

PS: there is no other way to see which drive the xbox has besides opening the xbox?

Rhage

I've had two Thompson drives and my experience is not positive.

The first one was in the 1st gen box and it had serious "this disc is dirty" issues after about 6 months, to the point where I couldn't get anything to run. And if I did, it wasn't for long.

So, I sent it in and Microsoft fixed it. I get it back and discovered they put another Thompson in it! It worked great for the first couple months, then the dirty disc message started coming up again. Thankfully it hasn't gotten any worse, but I still get it more than I should. Even get it with brand new, first time played, games once in a while.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've had a thompson since launch with no problems...

i have a friend who had one of the other drives, it crapped out and he recently got the halo ed xbox which is now crapping out too (not a thompson).

from my (admittedly limited) experience, the drive doesnt really mean one way or the other if you'll have a poor system

Ecrofirt

^exactly.

The only real reason the brand matters is if you're planning on using burned media.

Most Samsung drives are very good at reading CDRs, while Thomsons' suck at it.

Gamedude

I know that "dave is ok" it's just.. I'd like to know another way to know the drive, some sort of combination in the serial number so I only need to look on the Xbox box

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
for the record, Thompson drives suck, Samsung drives rock and Philips is somewhere in the middle.

That is mirrored by both stability, readability and speed.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
First off, there's no P in Thomson. The drives don't suck.

They play everything except CD-R. The same cannot be said about the Samsung drive which most people say are the best. But they don't read DVD+R, so they're not IMO.

Gamedude

One more thing about Xbox Live.. if I want to play Xbox Live on my nex Xbox.. is it possibile to transfer my account from my old xbox to my new xbox without using a memory card? can I do some kind of recovery?

+2 Thomson drives sucking.

I had a very lightly used XBox with a Thomson drive and it gave me tons of trouble with dual layered games (Top Spin would barely get past the main menu). Not wanting to fuck around with Microsoft's repair monkeys, I just traded the lemon into EB and got a new one, with warranty of course. Luckily it's a Samsung.

My brother also had to get his Thomson replaced.

I had a launch day Thomson Xbox for over two years. I had the occasional DDE, but nothing really serious until I tried playing SC: Pandorra Tomorrow online. It would drop me from the game everytime. So, I traded it in and got a Samsung Xbox. No problems since.

Just remember that if you want a Samsunge Xbox, then look for a serial number that ends in "06". There's a cut out on the box so you'll be able to check it.

bionic77

Geez, how many people have problems with their Xbox? Consoles are getting less reliable over time it seems. Hopefully MS makes a more reliable console next gen.

EdLuva

I've had trouble with my Xbox with a Thomson drive (some games give me a dirty disc error, the games that did work loaded slowly and was noisy). So I bought a newer xbox from a co-worker for $50. It had a Samsung drive in it (yay). It was much quieter, faster, and is more compatible with different media.

DaCocoBrova

Anything w/ moving parts is prone to die over time. Within the products expected lifetime shouldn't be the norm however.

SKluck

Banned
Thomsons are decent because they will play almost every burned media, BUT their stability is a BITCH. When Top Spin came out there was a 50/50 chance if the game would play. The FIRST TIME I put the brand new game in, it wouldn't play. That is fucked up. Honestly haven't had THAT many DDE errors with games, maybe once a month or two, but I don't play my xbox often enough for that to be accurate.

But, for dvd movies, it sucks ass. I don't know if it is for all XB or just the Thomson but if you pause a movie, it will NOT unpause, you press play there is a 90% chance it will play for 1 second (the buffer) then freeze and you will hear the drive spinning like a mofo. 2 minutes later it gives you a DDE and there is a 50/50 chance it will play after you restart and not give you another DDE.

I was playing Diehard the other day and I had to sit there for like 15 minutes restarting the xb about 20 times for it finally to play and not give me a DDE.

So if you watch movies on your Thomson, never pause, always stop.

bionic77

Hmm, so which console is more reliable: PS2 or Xbox. And how is the Gamecube in terms of reliability? Nintendo seems to be pretty solid with reliability sine the POS NES.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
bionic77 said:
Hmm, so which console is more reliable: PS2 or Xbox. And how is the Gamecube in terms of reliability? Nintendo seems to be pretty solid with reliability sine the POS NES.
Speaking purely anecdotally, it seems to go GC>PS2>Xbox in terms of reliabilty. GC being most reliable makes sense, since it doesn't have a mechanically opening drive, which are more prone to DDEs and other wear and tear.

DaCocoBrova

The tray has nothing to do with it. These complaints aren't due to the tray not ejecting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My Thomson broke down, have a Samsung now, works really nicely.

For reference

xbox.1072472284.jpg

aerofx

Gamedude said:
I bought my first Xbox somewhere in the it's beginning, It was of course a Thompson drive.. because I've got some serious problems with my Thompson drive latly I'm going to buy myself a new Xbox(tomorrow).. now.. I'd like to buy an Xbox that has the Samsung drive.. but I was wondering.. how do I see if the Xbox has a Samsung drive BESIDES giving the Xbox electricity and opening the drive to put a game in it.?(that would mean I need to unpack the Xbox in the store itself) isn't there some sort of mark combination on the product ID so I can see if it has a Samsung drive yes or no, that would be handy..

Don't worry.. there is a high chance that you'll get a Samsung drive now. I converted 6 of my buddies by showing them my modded Xbox so they all went out and purchased one for me to mod. Out of all 6 of them, 5 got Samsungs and 1 got a Phillips. I mean, what are the odds... most of them bought theirs at different places too.

Gamedude

Bought myself the Burnout 3 packet, and I have the Philips drive.. checked the drive before I payed, I can live with a Philips drive.. :)

Top Bottom