• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Threads of Time - Announce Trailer EN | TGS 2024

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Threads of Time is a turn-based JRPG inspired by Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy. Travel the ages with your party from the early prehistoric era to the far future in this charming, modernized 2.5D pixel art adventure built in Unreal Engine 5!​

Time-Traveling Adventure​

From an age where dinosaurs roam to the far-flung future and alternate realms in between - travel across fantastic and distinctive time periods, and discover the threads that bind the ages.
Uncover an epic tale of interwoven fates, and secrets that shaped civilizations…and follow the threads of a sinister plot that traverses the tapestry of time

Timeless Turn-Based RPG​

Weave together powerful attacks in visually dynamic, strategic turn-based battles. Bend time to your will, unravel enemies’ defenses, and unleash your party’s full potential through devastating team combos.

Retro Charm Meets Modern Visuals​

Step into vibrant worlds powered by Unreal Engine 5, meet lovingly hand-crafted 2D characters and experience the timeless charm of pixel art as you explore through the ages. Threads of Time captures the essence of your favorite retro RPGs, wrapped in a new and immersive adventure.

A few more deets via Gematsu

Publisher Humble Games and developer Riyo Games have announced Threads of Time, a turn-based RPG inspired by Japanese RPG classics, featuring a party of characters from different epochs. It will be available for consoles, including Xbox Series, and PC via Steam. A release date was not announced.

Media

filters:quality(90)

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Big question with all these games is writing and pacing. That was the reason why Chrono is so beloved, and not because it was 2D or had time travel.

As an example, Sea of Stars looked good visually, but I felt like it dropped the ball from storytelling and combat perspective. Yet people were making Chrono comparisons.

Anyways, the game looks interesting and I will put it on my wishlist.

The only platforms confirmed so far are Xbox Series and PC (Steam).
MS funded?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Canadian developer. Sea of Stars was as well.

nial

The actual game looks surprisingly good, but those cutscenes make me yawn.
Japamerican web-comic art style, none of that stands out.

Reactions: Isa

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Does anyone know anything about the dev? Is there a history of other good games to go on?
Found this insightful post from a dev working (contracting) on the game:

It's a new studio, but there are veteran developers on the team. I don't feel comfortable sharing people's resumes without their permission, but you can see it's a fairly sizeable team on their about page (and that doesn't include everyone - for example, I'm not there since I'm not part of the studio, I'm a contractor who is also working on my own projects at Zeboyd):
https://riyogames.com/about

Also, here's their page where they're hiring and the wages they're offering (not just royalties like a super-small indie team might be doing):
https://riyogames.com/careers

I can't give away details since it's not my place, but this is a way bigger operation than say Cosmic Star Heroine, which was just me, Bill Stiernberg, Chris & Dan at Hyperduck, a guest song from Laura Shigihara, plus help & support from family & friends.

Exentryk

Wow, this looks great! Should have lead with the in-game graphics rather than that poor cartoon animation.

Need to see a little more of the combat, but definitely interested.

Reaseru

It looked really cool, and the plot seems really interesting. OCTOPATH TRAVELER 2.5D graphics always interested me, but the setting not so much. But this is different. It gives me Chrono Trigger vibes.

Last edited:

ssringo

Looks great but after Sea of Stars I'm wary of these Chrono Trigger inspired RPGs.

Wishlisted anyways because one of these days someone will deliver.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom