• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Bandits (2024)| Trailer Series from Apple

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Is it so hard to think up original ideas? Will studios keep rehashing and milking the same old franchises over and over again?

jason10mm

Gold Member
It LOOKS amazing, the visual design of it. But the 'humor', ugh, all fell flat for me, even the "we call got a vase?" bit. Waititi being involved is a detractor for me, he has gotten progressively more up his own arse as time goes on and I suspect this trailer is just a taste of it.

Still, might pitch it to my kids and see what happens.

Or...just watch the OG film and enjoy.

I wish they would revamp BAD projects. Take another look at Misfits of Science, Automan, Manimal, Wraith, Hell comes to Frogtown, any number of "theres a spark there, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired" genre IP that could use 150 million dollars and talent.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I am sure they had to pay him money.

They got that one girl from Friends....I actually think that takes away from it though.
Gilliam is listed as an Executive Producer, whatever that means. I wasn't a fan of Lisa Kudrow's performance in the trailer either but hopefully she'll grow on me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I wish they would revamp BAD projects. Take another look at Misfits of Science, Automan, Manimal, Wraith, Hell comes to Frogtown, any number of "theres a spark there, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired" genre IP that could use 150 million dollars and talent.
Excuse me but Hell Comes to Frogtown was perfect. End of discussion.

Billbofet

Looks fine, but then I saw Taika Waititi and felt like I had seen this 400 times before.
Good to see Marvel humor is still making stuff suck at being funny.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Looks fine, but then I saw Taika Waititi and felt like I had seen this 400 times before.
Good to see Marvel humor is still making stuff suck at being funny.

He is very hit or miss. Thor Ragnarok was great, and What we do in the shadows has been great, but some of his stuff is just unfunny.

Tams

Looks like a Taika Waititi production alright.

It could be good, and I like Taikacs humour, but too much of it is irritating and unfunny. This looks like it might veer too far that way.

Mr Hyde

Looks like it could be fun, but some of the snappy humor comes off more as cringe than funny. I'm not really a fan of Taika either, or Lisa Kudrow. Production values seems solid and Time Bandits is a fun movie with a great concept. But Apple+...? Urgh. Sailing the high seas for this one.

StueyDuck

so i just kind of had the first episode on in the background now.

For the number of talented names attached this is really bad. like legitimately bad. Even for a mostly family/kids show which you expect some cheese.

This feels like one of those "make it up as you go" type scripts

EDIT: ok wow, i didn't have much of a connection to the original movie. just quickly watched the trailer for that and yeah... I guess at best the kids will get a few slapstick laughs from people falling over

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
so i just kind of had the first episode on in the background now.

For the number of talented names attached this is really bad. like legitimately bad. Even for a mostly family/kids show which you expect some cheese.

This feels like one of those "make it up as you go" type scripts
Disappointing impression. I didn't know it was out.

StueyDuck

Disappointing impression. I didn't know it was out.
the first 2 eps are out as far as i am aware.

give it a try I suppose, but with jemaine clement writing with taika watiti i expected the humor to be more snappy. it's very much in the vein of adlib humor like thor love n thunder, and sadly lisa kudrow just doesn't have the chops.

The actor playing the character widget does a decent job with comedic timing, the parents have a few chuckles. but most of it is just blabbering

Edit: maybe it will get better as the show goes, I'll give ep 2 a try later and see.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ll watch it because

A) I get Apple TV as part of apple one
B) there’s never anything worth watching on there anyway most of the time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Oh no please. I love the original and it's one of my favorite childhood movies of all time and now this remake / reboot is by that terrible Waikiki guy. Make it stop.
I find as his rise has gone on he seems to have gotten more I don’t wanna say obnoxious but the humour just got worse.
More in the style of oh aren’t I whimsical and self referential etc. I dunno maybe him getting to fuck Rita Ora soured me.

Not that I’m jealous.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I find as his rise has gone on he seems to have gotten more I don’t wanna say obnoxious but the humour just got worse.
More in the style of oh aren’t I whimsical and self referential etc. I dunno maybe him getting to fuck Rita Ora soured me.

Not that I’m jealous.
He is Obnoxious. And it brings about the too much of a good thing. It was good for a while, now it is old.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Not that I’m jealous.
He's very obnoxious and his movies are very obnoxious.

JCK75

for a while I loved Taika Waititi and looked forward to anything he was involved in..
But he's been sinking deeper and deeper lately and he seems to have lost his touch.. I will be checking this out
but my expectations are low.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I will be watching this tonight.

One a certain level, I am annoyed that they made this remake. The original is really good.

I think that they should have did a sequel. This could have easily been a sequel.

clarky

Gold Member
If it doesn't have loads of dwarves and some comedy shenanigans involving Sean Connery, which lets face it is highly unlikely, then they can fuck off.

This looks shit and bares no resemblance to the original. Think of all the dwarves out of work since Christmas. At least hire that little twat out of game of thrones and digitally duplicate him a few times.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If it doesn't have loads of dwarves and some comedy shenanigans involving Sean Connery, which lets face it is highly unlikely, then they can fuck off.

This looks shit and bares no resemblance to the original. Think of all the dwarves out of work since Christmas. At least hire that little twat out of game of thrones and digitally duplicate him a few times.
Why? He's the cunt that ruined it for all his midget brethren. He'll still get cast for roles where it's questionable if he's actually supposed to be a dwarf or not, but all the other ones got right fucked out of jobs in favor of "sensitivity CGI".

clarky

Gold Member
Why? He's the cunt that ruined it for all his midget brethren. He'll still get cast for roles where it's questionable if he's actually supposed to be a dwarf or not, but all the other ones got right fucked out of jobs in favor of "sensitivity CGI".
He seems be the only hireable midget this side of wonka's chocolate factory. I did say we was a twat mind, and your correct he's fucked it for every other small dude in the world but anything over the inoffensive, yet very offensive diverse bunch we have here.

Krathoon

It is a remake. It does not have to look exactly like the original. It does have the same spirit of the original.

Also, in the first two episodes, things happen that are very similar to the movie.
The parents get turned to coal and you had the big God head. Also, the parents are assholes and obsessed with gadgets. Just like the movie.

StueyDuck

So I've caught up with 3 and 4 and I dunno...

I don't know who this is meant to be appealing to, it's too juvenile and child friendly of a script to really enjoy as an adult, which is fine since the original and this is basically a kids film/show.

But then it gets kind of violent for a kids show. The dinosaur chomping a dude with blood spewing out is pretty hectic for a show which up until then i was putting the audience as around 8-12 range.

It's so weird. I don't even dislike it, i just can't recommend it to adults or to those with young kids or teenagers.

Last edited:
In hindsight, i wish apple would have used this IP as their GoT, or Lord of the Rings and made it TV-14; PG-13 for the widest audience possible.

I understand making it for kids but, Apple could have used this for a multi-season show; that could have been a mix of fantasy and tech; Apple could have done good things with this.

Last edited:
With Apple slashing its spending on Apple TV+ now; I wish they would diversify more And acquire some older unused IP that could be revitalized and remade.

I think Apple needs to check boxes as well.

Apple should have the following w/ varying size and cost:
- world News and Sports Highlight show,
- more live sports; maybe get rights to things low cost things like world fishing tournaments, maybe a game of the week from NHL, different soccer leagues, college sports, world poker tournaments, maybe cricket, rugby, etc. I realize Apple are allegedly are interested in worldwide F1 rights, which would be good.
- less shows overall, but more shows for kids, teens, 20-40 demographic, 40 and up demographic.
- Apple is a king of sci-fi; but it needs to diversify. It needs it’s fantasy,
- Downtown abbey style drama,
- It desperately needs some sort of sitcom style comedy
- needs more documentaries (low cost) on a wide variety of topics
- needs more adult animation (family guy style show)
- apple needs a western show of some sort
- CSI/NCIS procedural crime show
- Apple should consider acquiring some comic book ip as well. (Older independent ip). Spawn, or WildCats, etc.
- needs more stuff for kids. Buy existing IP, similar to Fraggle Rock, YoGabgaba, and Peanuts (which they acquired); they should have bought Garfield, and things like that.
- Apple needs some form of anime as well. They should be developing their own or acquiring old anime and rebooting it. Things like Fist of the Northstar, Cowboy Bebop, or many other stuff.

Apple needs to learn that not everything needs to be the biggest or best, but it all NEEDS TO BE WATCHABLE. Some of their shows should shoot for CBS quality. Hook people and go from their, and have their HBO style shows supplement their other content.

-They need to hire game developers to make games about Apple TV IP. It would help cement the growth of their IP, and could help Apple Arcade.

IP’s like A-team, AirWolf, GIJoe, Care Bears, etc. Go get old unused IP and remake it. Or buy video game rights For adaption. Splinter Cell, approach Nintendo about a Kirby cartoon, or Fire Emblem anime, etc. PvZ cartoon show, Mass Effect series. There is tons of options.

Last edited:

Krathoon

So I've caught up with 3 and 4 and I dunno...

I don't know who this is meant to be appealing to, it's too juvenile and child friendly of a script to really enjoy as an adult, which is fine since the original and this is basically a kids film/show.

But then it gets kind of violent for a kids show. The dinosaur chomping a dude with blood spewing out is pretty hectic for a show which up until then i was putting the audience as around 8-12 range.

It's so weird. I don't even dislike it, i just can't recommend it to adults or to those with young kids or teenagers.
It is British humor. Even their comedy for children is dark.

Watch "Horrible Histories" and you will get the idea.

I am liking that they do have little people in the cast. People can no longer complain about that.

Tried to watch this, but the child actor was so terrible, even compared to other child actors there is no way they should have given them a leading role. Guessing he's an executives kid or something. Such a shame, I grew up near one of the original time bandit actors and loved hearing his stories about the film, but I just can't with this.

Top Bottom