• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to debunk this rumor... Xenon 2005

jedimike

I see a lot of this crap here on the boards... "Xbox 2005 is gonna suck because all development has already moved to Xenon"

IMO, This is definitely the "Year of the Xbox", but already 2005 is looking like it's going to be the 2nd best year of the Xbox. Development on Xbox is still very strong.

Titles already slated for 2005 for Xbox, not Xenon...

Conker- Rare
Kameo- Rare
Star Wars Episode III- LucasArts
Star Wars Republic Commando - LucasArts
MechAssault 2 - FASA
SnowBlind -
Dead to Rights II -
Street Fighter AC - Capcom
Mercanaries - LucasArts
Timesplitters whatever their calling it - EA
Farcry Instincts - Ubi
Starcraft Ghost - Blizzard
Unreal Championship 2 - Atari
Darkwatch - Sammy
Battlefield Modern Combat - EA
MotoGP 3 - Climax
Area 51 - Midway
Destroy All Humans - Pandemic

What am I missing?

Pariah
Jade Empire (I thought it was 2004 and KOTORII was 2005 to avoid conflict, maybe it's the other way around)
oh yes, the EA stuff - Stranger, NFL and NBA Streets

jedimike said:
Kameo
Star Wars Episode III
SnowBlind
Dead to Rights II
Street Fighter AC
Farcry Instincts
Starcraft Ghost
Unreal Championship 2
Darkwatch
Battlefield Modern Combat
Area 51

I think you're putting alot of questionable games there. They may have promise, but they're far from being mega games.

jedimike

levious said:
SF AC is definitely next year? That sucks.

This list is not definite... just a collection of probables. Based on what I've seen about SFAC, I conclude that 2005 is a safe bet.

AniHawk

jedimike said:
I see a lot of this crap here on the boards... "Xbox 2005 is gonna suck because all development has already moved to Xenon"

IMO, This is definitely the "Year of the Xbox", but already 2005 is looking like it's going to be the 2nd best year of the Xbox. Development on Xbox is still very strong.

Titles already slated for 2005 for Xbox, not Xenon...

Conker
Kameo
Star Wars Episode III
Star Wars Republic Commando
MechAssault 2
SnowBlind
Dead to Rights II
Street Fighter AC
Mercanaries
Timesplitters 2
Farcry Instincts
Starcraft Ghost
Unreal Championship 2
Darkwatch
Battlefield Modern Combat
MotoGP 3
Area 51

What am I missing?

Isn't KotOR 2 coming out this year?

And Timesplitters 2 was released in 2002.

And you're missing Jade Empire.

An interesting rumor from a pretty good poster @ the videogamestockgroup here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/videogamestocksgroup/message/8435

Take is as you will.
There has been much talk about publishers extending the longevity of
their current-gen publishing operations well into the next cycle and
certainly Sony talk convincingly of a 10 year life cycle for their
hardware. However, a number of senior publishing figures i have
talked to over the last 6 months suggest that MSFT is going to try
to kill off the Xbox1 market quickly once its successor is out next
year. One publisher i know of confided that they have cancelled all
new Xbox development due to start after this summer.
If true i
imagine others will follow suit.

MSFT makes a substantial loss on each hardware unit sold (unlike
Sony who are currently at least break-even on hardware sales) and
given the importance of making Xbox 2 a genuine competitor to PS3,
it stands to reason that MSFT would want to put 100% of their focus
on the next cycle. When asked about this senior Xbox Europe people i
have talked to have been more reticent than eager to disabuse me of
the idea..

If this is the case, surely it will serve to heighten any transition-
based software market decline/stagnation and will be particularly
bad news for those few publishers (such as Ubi Soft) with strong
Xbox IP. Or is the Xbox software market of sufficiently immaterial
size for PS2 to absorb any drop off?

Thoughts anyone?

Scott

jedimike said:
Jade Empire (I thought it was 2004 and KOTORII was 2005 to avoid conflict, maybe it's the other way around)
I can see where you got confused, they've been shifted around a bit:

Jade Empire was originally slated for this Fall, but was recently pushed back to March (at E3, I believe). KotOR II has been scheduled for February since it's announcement, but was just pushed up to before the holidays.

Hopefully that clears things up. :)

jedimike

I think my title is a little misleading... I am more concerned about people saying that Xbox has nothing in 2005 because of Xenon development. Certainly Xenon titles are in development, but it hasn't hindered the 2005 line-up.

Grand Theft Auto SA from all the rumor posts is being developed for the PC / Xbox in 2005.

I personally wouldn't be suprised to see 4 or 5 of the games you listed moved to Xbox 2. If I was a 3rd party company and I knew that Microsoft was launching a new console. I'd move to it in a heartbeat. That's assuming the 2005 release of Xbox 2.

BuddyC

Scott said:
I can see where you got confused, they've been shifted around a bit:

Jade Empire was originally slated for this Fall, but was recently pushed back to March (at E3, I believe). KotOR II has been scheduled for February since it's announcement, but was just pushed up to before the holidays.

Hopefully that clears things up. :)
Scott's right here - for a bit it seemed they were both due out next year. But with the recent undelay of KoToR2, everything is fine for XB RPG fans once again.

bah! i thought this was a sequal to Xenon2 :(

CHECK THIS OUT AH AH AH AH YEAH

IS THAT HIM?; COULD I BE RIGHT?, COULD THAT BE KID, OR DYNAMITE!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, in other words, the xbox will have all the leftovers from this year!
Yay for Xbox!

Meanwhile, 2006 the xbox will have nothing.. *sigh*
I'm just glad I did not buy my xbox expecting a whole lot

(Thats not to say the leftovers are bad, but after the leftovers, thats it)

element

I mean, there's like... ONE game announced.
well considering that the system hasn't been officially announced yet and developers and publishers don't want to just come out and say they are working on a game for a system that hasn't been announced yet. That is why you see the 'in development for next-generation platforms'

AniHawk

CaptainOblivious said:
well considering that the system hasn't been officially announced yet and developers and publishers don't want to just come out and say they are working on a game for a system that hasn't been announced yet. That is why you see the 'in development for next-generation platforms'

I guess you have a point.

element said:

What will be interesting will be to see how many launch games XENON has. Wedbush made a big point out of speculating the Microsoft would have a tough time mustering first year support for their new system. If true, you might see publshers continue to publish on the Xbox in spite of Xenon.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jedimike said:
I think my title is a little misleading... I am more concerned about people saying that Xbox has nothing in 2005 because of Xenon development. Certainly Xenon titles are in development, but it hasn't hindered the 2005 line-up.

Agreed, though most of what you listed are cross-platform titles. And many of the exclusives don't match '04's crop by far. The PS2 & GC have better lineups for '05 IMO. Though understandably, neither is ramping up for such an early next-gen console release.

element

Wedbush made a big point out of speculating the Microsoft would have a tough time mustering first year support for their new system. If true, you might see publshers continue to publish on the Xbox in spite of Xenon.
I have yet to see any signs of that.

Solid

This is indeed a great year for Xbox and 2005 seems to follow that trend. I'm usually a little PS2 biased but my Xbox is getting much love lately :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Does anyone know why Kameo is 2005? It looks great and has been in development forever and I hear some journalists got to play a build recently and that it played well...I just have a hard time believing Rare couldn't get it out for this year.

Mareg

Apart from Jade Empire and the Star Wars RPG, I'm clueless what will make my xbox goes on in 2k5. But there is so much games to buy before end of 2004, I'm not one bit scared about what game I'll play next year !

Hope there is some underdog title that no one as heard of thought ...

DrLazy

It'll be intrested to see what EA does, if they'll release the next Madden (or the one after) on the Xbox, Xenon, or both. Having the first next gen Madden could be really big for Microsoft. Also having some EA launch games would be huge.

It'll also be intresting to see what Japenese companies will do, I doubt Microsoft is still going to help pay for development considering the low returns they got from just about everyone but Tecmo this generation.

If EA will support N-Gage. They will support Xenon at its launch. I don't think I've seen any other publisher talk about their investments for next gen more than EA.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jedimike, you should probably consider taking the multiplatform games off that list. Who's going to want to buy those on Xbox1 in 2005 when they won't be able to transfer them to Xbox2 and keep playing? ;)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
kaching said:
jedimike, you should probably consider taking the multiplatform games off that list. Who's going to want to buy those on Xbox1 in 2005 when they won't be able to transfer them to Xbox2 and keep playing? ;)

Good point. If MS really is planning on killing the Xbox quickly, they better not expect much of the current Xbox fan base to readily and quickly make the jump to Xenon.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I guess the Nintendo trolls are a little angsty today as they found out GC is actually 3rd worldwide. Guess its best to let them get it off their chests.

It is a great year for live next year, Conker, UC2, Moto GP 3 & Mechassault 2 all make it that. But its no where near the quality Xbox is seeing (from exclusives) this year.

Who knows how those titles will actually spread through the year but it was my understanding that all of them except Moto GP3 (i still think this could be a stealth Xenon lanuch title) were planned for this year at one point then moved (either to avoid the Halo 2 steamroller effect on sales or delayed to finish the game) to the early part of 2005. It would be one hell of a 6 months if all those games and Jade Empire come out.

I cant see where the Xenon games would come from if it does have a 2005 launch, no bungie game, no fasa game, no bioware game, no Fable 2 or other lionhead game, at most 1 rare game. It'd be like their starting from scratch all over again in terms of creating brands, then you'd be looking at 2006/2007 as "year of the Xenon" which would probably be the earliest the Xbox veteran devs would manage to get their games out. Obviously they have games planned for whenever Xenon launches, i just wanna know who is making them if its coming in 2005.

jedimike

kaching said:

:rolleyes

You mean MS made it so your Xbox would disappear when you buy a Xenon... teh genius

AniHawk

Ghost said:
I cant see where the Xenon games would come from if it does have a 2005 launch, no bungie game, no fasa game, no bioware game, no Fable 2 or other lionhead game, at most 1 rare game.

Well MS had one really huge game for the Xbox surrounded by a few good and great ones at launch. If they can make Perfect Dark Zero + a racing game, a fighting game, a couple sports games come out at launch, it really wouldn't be all that bad.

Dave Long

Banned
Ghost said:
I guess the Nintendo trolls are a little angsty today as they found out GC is actually 3rd worldwide. Guess its best to let them get it off their chests.

The thread itself is one giant fucking troll, you moron.

Or is it common to run damage control now for NEXT YEAR in the middle of the current one?!

Top Bottom