• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I discovered Puffy AmiYumi. This is unacceptable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgurdo

Banned
amiyumi.jpg

They seem cute enough to fap to...they get my seal of approval

Meier

They're the only jpop act I like. P. Diddy is a dick for taking their name and then trademarking it.

Meier

Makura said:
You mean they were named Puffy before diddy ever was?

Yes. Their name in Japan is just Puffy (they've been around since the mid 90's), but Puffy trademarked the name eventually so their US albums have been under the name Puffy AmiYumi.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They toured the US in 2002 in support of An Illustrated History. I saw them at the Quest Club in Minneapolis, MN, it was a really good time. There was hardly anyone there, but they certainly kicked ass. They don't speak extremely fluent English, so their crowd-chatter was kept to like, 3 cuecards. They had a little story about what they'd done in Minneapolis, and said "We'll continue after a couple more songs." It was cute. I drug 4 of my friends with in the grounds that they were really hot. Good times, guys. I'm kind of really hoping they tour again, but it's not looking like it.

Jason

I saw them on that tour, too. One of the craziest concerts I've ever been to...had to stuff a Canon Powershot S40 down my pants since they did not permit photos.

Japanese concert-goers sure are an enthusiastic bunch. :)

belgurdo

Banned
Belfast said:
Yeah, there's supposed to be a cartoon featuring them on CN around December.

Wonder how that'll work...actually basing it on their lives, or making an " western anime cliche parody" show with their faces?

shoplifter

Puffy >>> j00

Their TV show was almost always hysterical. The DC show on their last tour was a friggin PACKED house. Awesome show.

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Wait, they're responsible for that "Teen Titan" song?

KILL THEM!!!

At the Cartoon Network panel in San Diego Comicon this year, they showed their video to the Teen Titan's theme. They were sooooooooo damn cute. I'm too damn old for cute.

lexy

Meier said:
Yes. Their name in Japan is just Puffy (they've been around since the mid 90's), but Puffy trademarked the name eventually so their US albums have been under the name Puffy AmiYumi.

Puff Daddy/Puffy/P.Diddy has been around since before the 90's (1990 to be exact). He didn't "take" their name like you are suggesting so you should give that whole anti-P.Diddy argument a rest. It's pretty weak beyond the actual facts of the matter. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion of the guy but if you're going to bash him at least do it legitimately.

Puffy AmiYumi is a decent group. I found out about them through a music video program that used to air after midnight on Much Music but I only started to take them seriously after seeing them in concert. Their english lyrics are pretty corny and I'm sure the translated Japanese lyrics are just as corny, if not worse (ie. average pop music). That said, they are musically coherent and that goes a long way as far as I'm concerned. Not great but pretty good. I'm not sure who I like more between them and a group like Shonen Knife but I'll give the edge to Puffy because they are more consistently good and overall less corny-sounding (if that makes any sense at all).

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if Puffy is still popular in Japan?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
By trademarking "puffy" (which I'm gathering he didn't do the day he started out) he did take their ability to go by their name used in Japan in the US. Plus, does he even go by puffy anymore? I thought it was p.diddy or whatever the fuck. So does he even use that trademark anymore?

XS+

Banned
This almost reminds me of how Biggie Smalls lost legal ownership of his name to another rapper who had the same nick..

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
loxy said:
Puff Daddy/Puffy/P.Diddy has been around since before the 90's (1990 to be exact). He didn't "take" their name like you are suggesting so you should give that whole anti-P.Diddy argument a rest. It's pretty weak beyond the actual facts of the matter. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion of the guy but if you're going to bash him at least do it legitimately.

Puffy AmiYumi is a decent group. I found out about them through a music video program that used to air after midnight on Much Music but I only started to take them seriously after seeing them in concert. Their english lyrics are pretty corny and I'm sure the translated Japanese lyrics are just as corny, if not worse (ie. average pop music). That said, they are musically coherent and that goes a long way as far as I'm concerned. Not great but pretty good. I'm not sure who I like more between them and a group like Shonen Knife but I'll give the edge to Puffy because they are more consistently good and overall less corny-sounding (if that makes any sense at all).

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if Puffy is still popular in Japan?

yeah they just came out with a new album a few months ago.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Sean "Puffy" Combs was around before/at the same time as Puffy, I think we can all agree he fucking sucks. He's a horrible producer, and is a talentless hack. I can barely listen to Ready To Die because I have to hear him singing over the hooks on every track. Fuck. He's such a terrible producer, and a way worse rapper.

UH! YEAH! OHHHH! YEAH! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom