• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Game Show 2004

SantaC

I heard TGS 2003 was pretty bad with Nintendo basicly being a no show. I am wondering if things will change this year, and if there is any chance Nintendo will show off Zelda GCN? Since Nintendo has dropped the Space World again (or else it would been announced by now) this is the only time we can expect them to show something before E3. Atleast that's what I think.

Tokyo Game Show 2004 will run from September 24th (business day) to 26th.

mainvisual.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
SantaCruZer said:
I heard TGS 2003 was pretty bad with Nintendo basicly being a no show. I am wondering if things will change this year, and if there is any chance Nintendo will show off Zelda GCN? Since Nintendo has dropped the Space World again (or else it would been announced by now) this is the only time we can expect them to show something before E3. Atleast that's what I think.

Tokyo Game Show 2004 will run from September 24th (business day) to 26th.

mainvisual.jpg

Weren't there reports that Nintendo wouldn't even show up for this year's TGS? I don't think we will see any more Zelda until E3 2005.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo will probably hold off on attending any big shows in favor of holding multiple small press announcements. They seem to work better anyway, and cost way less.

bogg

Although TGS is a great place for nintendo to show the DS and it's games, I doubt they'll be there. Kinda like every year if im not mistaken.

Lionheart

Today on http://www.gamefront.de :
Nintendo wohl nicht auf der Tokyo Game Show

12.07.04 - Nintendo wird in diesem Jahr voraussichtlich nicht auf der Tokyo Game Show vertreten sein. Das geht aus einer aktuellen Ausstellerliste hervor.

Die Toyko Game Show ist nach der E3 die wichtigste Videospielemesse und findet Ende September in Tokio statt.
So they probably won't be there this year either as they're not on a recent list of exhibitors.

SantaC

oh you are all right. I just checked the exhibitor list and Nintendo isn't there. Boo what a shame :(

And why no Space World love Nintendo?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
TGS for the most part is Sony's playground.
Microsoft also shows, and Sega always had a healthy Saturn/DC presence as well as Bandai with WonderSwan. TGS is more everyone but Nintendo's playground.

AssMan

Banned
Gofreak is pretty much right. Nintendo has never really been apart of the TGS. It's mostly a 3rd party show. DUR! DUR!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
mainvisual.jpg

Here's a little fun fact for you all. See those skyscrapers (the TGS logo is blocking a bunch, but you can still see some)? They're almost entirely empty.

Makuhari = ghost town

Nintendo's never showed at TGS, but last year, Iwata gave the keynote where he unveiled the Pokemon wireless adapter (which, in hindsight, turned out to be a pretty big hint at things to come).

They've got to have SOME event in Japan where the DS and its launch titles are shown off and playable by the public. That's how they've got to market the thing. Whether it's a full-blown Spaceworld or a smaller, possibly touring, event is up to them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
TGS for the most part is Sony's playground.

Ah, PSP :D

Don't worry, every TGS PSP thread with pictures of the PSP games (like the one that is currently up) will be flooded with "THOSE ARE JUST TEH TECH DEMOZ!" and "PSP HAZ NO GAMEZ!" and
"DS 4LIFE!". :D Gonna be POPCORN!

kiryogi

Banned
On another note, does anyone have that TGS pic.. from maybe 2k2 or something? That Sonic Team drew? Had the theme "Let's play together!".

WarPig

Currently the TGS game/exhibitor list is mostly incomplete. They're announcing a more complete list September 14. What is confirmed, however, is that the show will suck dick, because TGS always sucks dick, and at this point it's looking to be even smaller than last year's pathetic crock of shit exhibition. In 2003, there were 230 titles confirmed at this stage. This year, there are only 180. So fuck TGS up the ass.

Nintendo's showed up at TGS twice. Last year, they had the keynote with Iwata, and at the spring 2001 show, they brought a bunch of GBA games to the kid's corner as part of a joint showing led by CESA itself. I remember the spring one because we interviewed whatsisfuck, the PR guy who used to be Miyamoto's translator, and Fran gave me this list of utterly moronic hateful stupid questions to ask him. Colin was transcribing it, and he turns to me and asks "Who the fuck gave you these questions?"

Anyway, this year Nintendo's doing its own promo events for the DS launch, no TGS showing as per usual.

DFS.

jedimike

thx ferrari... that list is so sad. one game for Xbox (plus whatever SNK and MS bring). No nintendo. Not worth the effort IMO.

WarPig

jedimike said:
thx ferrari... that list is so sad. one game for Xbox (plus whatever SNK and MS bring). No nintendo. Not worth the effort IMO.

Like I say, that list is NOT complete in any way shape or form. Although the one game for Xbox thing is probably more or less accurate.

DFS.

AniHawk

WarPig said:
Currently the TGS game/exhibitor list is mostly incomplete. They're announcing a more complete list September 14. What is confirmed, however, is that the show will suck dick, because TGS always sucks dick, and at this point it's looking to be even smaller than last year's pathetic crock of shit exhibition. In 2003, there were 230 titles confirmed at this stage. This year, there are only 180. So fuck TGS up the ass.

Nintendo's showed up at TGS twice. Last year, they had the keynote with Iwata, and at the spring 2001 show, they brought a bunch of GBA games to the kid's corner as part of a joint showing led by CESA itself. I remember the spring one because we interviewed whatsisfuck, the PR guy who used to be Miyamoto's translator, and Fran gave me this list of utterly moronic hateful stupid questions to ask him. Colin was transcribing it, and he turns to me and asks "Who the fuck gave you these questions?"

Anyway, this year Nintendo's doing its own promo events for the DS launch, no TGS showing as per usual.

DFS.

What kind of questions?

And that 2001 TGS was also the one where Yamauchi was in talks with Squaresoft, I think.

SantaC

I stop reading there . Nintendo & TGS DON'T COMPUTE

oh please. Ok so I didn't really check Nintendos TGS history, and you stopped reading a thread because of that? FYI Iawata atleast held a speech last TGS.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
jarrod said:
Well, them and retail.
A mountain of retail reports can call it the Gamecube Nintendo and I will not follow suit.
Likewise, in the same situation I will not abbreviate the GC as the GCN.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
WarPig said:
What is confirmed, however, is that the show will suck dick

You're wronger than Grand King Wrong, slouched wrongly on the Throne of Wrongness in the wrong-angled halls of Wrong Castle overlooking the land of Wrong. Trust me on this.

Scott

Isn't it called "GCN" because Neo-Geo Pocket Color already claimed "NGC"? That's what I always thought, at least. :p

skip

You're wronger than Grand King Wrong, slouched wrongly on the Throne of Wrongness in the wrong-angled halls of Wrong Castle overlooking the land of Wrong. Trust me on this.

accurate or not, that's totally awesome.

WarPig

D2M15 said:

If a Tokyo Game Show doesn't suck, I will be stunned fucking rigid.

If I'm wronger than his punk ass, though, do I get a cool throne and a castle and shit too?

DFS.

WarPig

CrimsonSkies said:
E3 is where it's all at now. Until that changes, this show is degrading to ECTS level quickly.
Speaking of which, are they even having an ECTS this year? Europe is engulfed in some kind of whacko trade-show war and I can't come close to keeping any of it straight. There are, what, THREE shows going on that weekend?

DFS.

Nester

Scott said:
Isn't it called "GCN" because Neo-Geo Pocket Color already claimed "NGC"? That's what I always thought, at least. :p

No. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was abbreviated NGPC. There's no other reason for GCN other then that's what it's referred to as in development circles.

Scott

SpeedRazor said:
No. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was abbreviated NGPC.
I was under the impression retail outlets, NPD releases, etc always used a 3 letter abbreviation (ie: XBX, GCN, PSX, etc), thus NGPC wouldn't work.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Speaking of which, are they even having an ECTS this year? Europe is engulfed in some kind of whacko trade-show war and I can't come close to keeping any of it straight. There are, what, THREE shows going on that weekend?

Technically speaking there is an ECTS, but it's dead in the water, and EGN/GameStars Live will be holding its head under just to be sure. It's for the best, I think, since ECTS's glory days went out with permed hair.

WarPig

KyotoMecca said:
Nonsense. Have you been to both lately? Doubt it...

It depends on how you define "ECTS level." TGS is about where ECTS was two years ago, I'd say. Although I doubt it will be supplanted as ECTS has been, because there's nobody on a level to rival CESA in Japan and no real reason to bother anyway, since the Japanese games market is contracting while I'm pretty sure the European one is expanding.

Secret Squirrel knows something I don't, it seems ^_^

DFS.

Greekboy

Banned
ManaByte said:
Ah, PSP :D

Don't worry, every TGS PSP thread with pictures of the PSP games (like the one that is currently up) will be flooded with "THOSE ARE JUST TEH TECH DEMOZ!" and "PSP HAZ NO GAMEZ!" and
"DS 4LIFE!". :D Gonna be POPCORN!

How is this any different from the DS thread sure to follow that will have people saying: "Those 3D graphics suck!"...."The stylus is dumb!"....."Two Screens are Stupid!!!"

"PSP 4LIFE!"

???????????????

CrimsonSkies said:
E3 is where it's all at now. Until that changes, this show is degrading to ECTS level quickly.

You've obviously never attended TGS because it's nowhere near the pathetic Tupperware party that ECTS has become in recent years. I'd also say that TGS exceeds E3 for its lack of ridiculously labyrinthine booth designs and the fact that its not in downtown LA.

SpeedRazor said:
No. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was abbreviated NGPC. There's no other reason for GCN other then that's what it's referred to as in development circles.

Well there is another reason. The conflict wasn't with the NGPC, but there was a conflict. Nintendo actually did go for "NGC" first, the problem was that other companies had already trademarked "NGC" . They could have gone ahead and used it anyway, and just dealt with any problems that might have come from that. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal since their use most likely wouldn't conflict with the types of products the trademarks covered, but to be safe, they went with "GCN" because no one was using it at the time.

And it really doesn't matter now, since Nintendo abandoned the "GCN" trademark at the start of last year.

Troidal

While the show is downscaling, it is still a enjoyable show. Last year was pretty decent, and I expect this year to be slightly better.

From what I know, Sony will dedicate a huge space at their booth for PSP, although they are still trying figure out how many playables they are going to have.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
FitzOfRage said:
Well there is another reason. The conflict wasn't with the NGPC, but there was a conflict. Nintendo actually did go for "NGC" first, the problem was that other companies had already trademarked "NGC" . They could have gone ahead and used it anyway, and just dealt with any problems that might have come from that. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal since their use most likely wouldn't conflict with the types of products the trademarks covered, but to be safe, they went with "GCN" because no one was using it at the time.

And it really doesn't matter now, since Nintendo abandoned the "GCN" trademark at the start of last year.
Ok well I'll tell you the story I heard.

Apparently, NCL wanted to call it "GC," but NOA wanted the Nintendo name in there somewhere so they settled for "GCN."

MASB

WarPig said:
The worst one was, he wanted me to ask whether NCL's internal people called it "NGC" or "GCN."

DSF.
lol. Truly, when you want quality, call on IGN, particularly Fran. ;)

Top Bottom