• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

kinda weird there's no deathmatch game. just have groups fighting other groups in a FFA in an open part of a map.

They won't be able to get the whoppers with cheese. My friend invited his brother and it wasn't working out for them.

Damn :-\ Thanks

My question, for anyone else:

Question: with the farms being put to pasture tomorrow, I wanted to see if I can get my low level friends in on some of the fun.

If they join my instance, and simply run with me (or even just chill nearby) as I kill the named boss(es), will they be able to pick up some of the rewards? Or does the level mismatch break it somehow?

Stick with normal. I found hard pretty pointless in rewards.

Yeah, I was running all story missions on hard for a while before realizing the rewards weren't worth it and were being regularly replaced. Get through them fast so you reach higher level--Hard mode just slows you down.

k1t4j

Yeah lol. Played the first 4 missions on hard, solo. Shit is brutal at times.
I figured as much. It takes way too long sometimes. Thanks for the tips guys

I actually think doing missions on hard is more enjoyable. You need to manage your resources take a more careful approach to the engagements.

On normal you can just rush through it you don't even need to use cover. I can see why people are telling you to stick to normal, the name of the game in The Division seems to be - "rush to 30 and exploit whatever comes up" so that's an aproach too.

Anyways opinions right :).

Enjoy the game.

Fair? I don't even know what this means in the context of the DZ. :)

As for trolls stepping in front of you whilst you fire, trigger discipline is a pretty simple and effective answer as you can get a good few shots on someone before going rogue.

Only for non-hostile agents:

The only reason I'm pissy about it is because group mates are usually the ones who cause the rogue status. Also, some trolls are very persistent and will follow you and when you try to leave, they'll shoot you which makes you unable to exit. Go figure.

I'm having a hard time understanding your stance, TBH. As of now, there's really no reward or thrill to going rogue on purpose and it makes 0 sense to if you're trying to get to level 50 and buy all the blueprints. 95% of the time, most people will have items that won't be of any use to you so I see this patch as a welcome. Also, with improved HE drop rates, won't that make rogues feel more tension when trying to extract things?

JohnCYQ

No more BK I guess.
aEux4Xf.jpg

Pretty happy with the current balance, though DPS could be better.

Too costly? Boring? How is taking such a huge risk boring? NOT taking it is boring but that's on the player for caring too much about some nominal number on a screen only ever going up.

The risk is what made the DZ so unique to me. Assuming the reduction in what you lose is significant and it is now largely trivial to die, that safety net will reduce the tension of being rogue so much.

I hope the reduction is minimal and just there to placate the teary eyed Redditors until they realize this just means more rogues with nothing to lose. I see no reason not kill every non-hostile agent I see if the loss is as trivial as a normal PvE death is currently in the DZ.

I suppose that's fun for a minute. Not as fun as it currently is and certainly not as unique but hey ho.

Disagree. They'll be more rogues sure, but that only increases the tension for the non-hostile agents and people who prefer PvE, not the rogues themselves.

I'm sticking with boo!

You're welcome to think that way but that tension is entirely in your mind. Most people who go Rogue right now do so on accident or because someone else baited or forced them to. People who regularly go Rogue already don't care about Rank and the people who do care about Rank just rolled an alt that won't have to get Rank at all since their main that they avoid going rogue on will just buy the gear and use the stash to transfer it.

The lowering XP loss is a good move.

Mikeside

So I'm lv 30, lv 26 (I think) dark zone

I'll be looking to farm some phoenix and hopefully get some HE equipment on PC in about 4 hours
Would anybody like to help/join me?
I've not done BK yet

uPlay: IamMikeside

Really hoping we get a variation of the DZ where everyone goes in at the same base level. All weapons and gear has to be found. One life, BR style. Top 5 survivors get some good rewards.

I like the changes that they are making to the DZ in the patch notes though.

Ted

Which is a good thing. The DZ is too tame currently.

I am starting to think this is something specific to the level 30 areas where everyone is super protective of their level/gear/currency due to the amount of grind they put in to get there.

I mean fuck man, there are people in this very thread posting 6, 8, 10+ hour farming session killing one dude over and over and over again. People with that kind of commitment to best in slot gear don't ever want to see the numbers go down!

Down in the 1-14 and 15-19 zones (I'm only at level 19 so far) there is a fair amount of PvP happening already, nowhere near as much as the beta which is to be expected but it's definitely not the "Friendly Zone" down here at mere mortal level.

I get that the reduced risk makes you more interested in going rogue but alas it makes me less interested in doing the same. :(

All good though, horses for courses and all that. In a game of this breadth Massive will never be able to please all the people all of the time so I am happy to be on the disappointed side some times.

You're welcome to think that way but that tension is entirely in your mind. Most people who go Rogue right now do so on accident or because someone else baited or forced them to. People who regularly go Rogue already don't care about Rank and the people who do care about Rank just rolled an alt that won't have to get Rank at all since their main that they avoid going rogue on will just buy the gear and use the stash to transfer it.

The lowering XP loss is a good move.

I don't quite understand what you mean "the tension is all in my mind"?

I don't think it is at all.

When I go rogue it is a deliberate act (I have enough trigger discipline to not just shoot any random that walks in front of me) and once I am rogue the risk of death is significant (XP/cash/DZ keys/unextracted DZ shizzle) and the opportunities to die are plentiful as everyone and their mother wants to kill rogues and will go out of their way to do so.

I'm sure there are folk making alts to protect their main and all that but these types of people will always find a way to buck a system anyway so why bother balancing for that group?

I don't know man, I'm not much of an RPG, loot or MMO player so if this is the "right" thing for the wider player group that perhaps I don't recognize but for ME it is a disapointment and lessens my interest in a bit of the game I enjoy.

DarKshodaN

Wow they patched nearly all the stuff i was complaining about,and that in such a short time.

Glad i switched from Destiny to Division.

Wow they patched nearly all the stuff i was complaining about,and that in such a short time.

Glad i switched from Destiny to Division.

You look at the number of fixes/improvements and then you realize the game hasn't even been out for two weeks yet. Massive is doing a great job.

Just finished reading through the notes--great stuff, esp DZ. Between Siege and The Division, Ubi is killing post-launch support (so far...).

fuzzyset

People with better gear would still dominate since they'll have better weapon mods, etc. Would be hard to balance, hence why the 3rd expansion seems to be a horde mode or ME-like mp.

They can just use normalized items stats based on the type of weapon / type of mod. Lots of other MMOs / Destiny do this for PVP.

Leyasu

Banned
  • Keys chests now have a chance to drop High-End (Gold) items

Someone I know is gonna be happy. They have like 60 keys.

I see Bullet King is being fixed.

• Named NPCs will no longer respawn after being killed in the Open World. This will prevent situations where players were able to kill a same named NPC over and over again.

Lol everyone is gonna smash it tonite.

If you're on and running CM or dz then hit me up mate.

Anyway, nice patch, nice improvements to loot drops through tongue ability to heal random in the dz are great.

I am starting to think this is something specific to the level 30 areas where everyone is super protective of their level/gear/currency due to the amount of grind they put in to get there.

I mean fuck man, there are people in this very thread posting 6, 8, 10+ hour farming session killing one dude over and over and over again. People with that kind of commitment to best in slot gear don't ever want to see the numbers go down!

Down in the 1-14 and 15-19 zones (I'm only at level 19 so far) there is a fair amount of PvP happening already, nowhere near as much as the beta which is to be expected but it's definitely not the "Friendly Zone" down here at mere mortal level.

I get that the reduced risk makes you more interested in going rogue but alas it makes me less interested in doing the same. :(

All good though, horses for courses and all that. In a game of this breadth Massive will never be able to please all the people all of the time so I am happy to be on the disappointed side some times.

Yea at 30 it is completely different. You lose at least a whole rank when you die as rogue right now it is insane. You rarely ever see rogues. I think I have 1 rogue kill in like 40hours DZ. Once everyone is past 50 and gets the blueprints I think it will become more pvp.

So then you don't know that the XP loss gets greater the higher the level and DZ Rank? I was running solo in the DZ and someone on my friends list joined me and then their friend joined them. Their friend was unfamiliar with the tactics people use to get you to go Rogue. We got flagged when someone walked into his line of fire, and I died trying to save them. I lost over 6k DZ XP. For dying while on the 19 second timer. Each mob in the DZ awards roughly 160 XP per kill as a base. That's 38 mobs worth of XP loss. More than that really since it was over 6k. And that XP loss is the low end since we didn't actually down/kill a player. The loss grows greater for every level of Rogue status you get.

I don't quite understand what you mean "the tension is all in my mind"?

I don't think it is at all.

When I go rogue it is a deliberate act (I have enough trigger discipline to not just shoot any random that walks in front of me) and once I am rogue the risk of death is significant (XP/cash/DZ keys/unextracted DZ shizzle) and the opportunities to die are plentiful as everyone and their mother wants to kill rogues and will go out of their way to do so.

I'm sure there are folk making alts to protect their main and all that but these types of people will always find a way to buck a system anyway so why bother balancing for that group?

I don't know man, I'm not much of an RPG, loot or MMO player so if this is the "right" thing for the wider player group that perhaps I don't recognize but for ME it is a disapointment and lessens my interest in a bit of the game I enjoy.

What I'm saying is that the tension you're talking about lies entirely within your frame of thought. Other players don't feel that tension because they'll just avoid going Rogue whenever possible or they don't care about losing Rank or items they just picked up or they have an alt.. so again they don't care. There is no tension in going Rogue if you don't care about loss at all and people who really want to fight other players will find a way to do that that minimizes their loss 9 times out of 10. It's the same reason people use the section of the Alley by the checkpoint in DZ02 to camp out their Rogue status. They don't care about the fight as much as they do with not losing. It's a fact of player psychology. No different than people farming BK because it's the greatest Return on Investment.

So with that being the case.. lowering XP loss doesn't hurt tension because tension wasn't there in the first place for all but the edge cases like yourself.

This is the reason why. Just wait til you get to level 30 and realize how long it takes to get to 50. At lower levels, it's fine because you're still able to find better gear as your progress through the game and the DZ items are beyond your reach. Once you hit end-game, it's a barren, tedious wasteland and losing over 50% of your XP for dying is harsh.

MicSte79

Neo Member
CEX (UK) are offering £32 cash for this which is pretty good (I only paid £39 for it in the first place so I will get most my money back.)

I had fun with it for the first week or so but there is simply nothing to do once we have got go max levels. Unless new bobble hats and better gear is your thing.

A game with so much promise but failed to deliver in so many areas. Typical Ubisoft really.

UCBooties

So when do you start getting to play around with builds? I got to lvl 4 in the tutorial zone last night and so far there hasn't been much that I can see that improves with level up. I went with the smart bomb and unlocked my second weapons slot. When do you start getting perks or whatever else?

Ted

Yea at 30 it is completely different. You lose at least a whole rank when you die as rogue right now it is insane. You rarely ever see rogues. I think I have 1 rogue kill in like 40hours DZ. Once everyone is past 50 and gets the blueprints I think it will become more pvp.

This is the reason why. Just wait til you get to level 30 and realize how long it takes to get to 50. At lower levels, it's fine because you're still able to find better gear as your progress through the game and the DZ items are beyond your reach. Once you hit end-game, it's a barren, tedious wasteland and losing over 50% of your XP for dying is harsh.

I get both of your points, I really really do.

The thing is, for me gambling that whole rank IS the exciting and unique thing whatever rank I am at.

I would have preferred an increased pay out for surviving rather than a reduced loss for getting hunted down and bettered if simply encouraging more players to try out the dark side is the aim.

Clearly though fellas I am in the minority and others are excited for the changes so yay for the community at large! :)

ERMint13

What rolls are we looking for on these Vectors? I just started to buy some blue prints. Never realized you could run CM and get 30 credits each time. I had several hundred credits.

I get both of your points, I really really do.

The thing is, for me gambling that whole rank IS the exciting and unique thing whatever rank I am at.

I would have preferred an increased pay out for surviving rather than a reduced loss for getting hunted down and bettered if simply encouraging more players to try out the dark side is the aim.

Clearly though fellas I am in the minority and others are excited for the changes so yay for the community at large! :)

I am fine with that, I dont even think you get ANY exp for surviving you get....500 dz credits...that is one mob kill. Oh well, either way I would like to see more rogues.

No one is gonna make a new thread for the patch 1.0.2?

I think everyone that currently is playing the division would be reading this thread anyways, but you can make one if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom